Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gamestop in Parkway Closing....

Options
  • 22-02-2010 3:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 55,512 ✭✭✭✭

I was in the Parkway at lunchtime and they have a sign in the window that says something like "Due to the landlord's refusal to reduce the rent in these tough times, we are relocating to William Street and the Crescent".

I know times are tough, but its a disgrace in this day and age that greed is killing businesses like this. Less rent is better than no rent at all. The bookshop, O'Briens and a few other outlets there have been gathering dust for years now. A little leeway on both sides would go a long way.

No idea when they are closing, but they have signs up for a relocation sale. Nothing seems reduced yet though. :)

I hope the other Gamestops look after the guys there .... spent a good bit of money there in the last 4 or 5 years.

Good luck lads...

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

It was always too quiet, im surprised it lasted this long to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

Totally forgot there was even a store there tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭DJ_U4EA

The Parkway has always struck me as a place that belongs in the 1980's, its simply not a nice place to even walk around looking in shops.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

The same sentiment is killing the city centre. I noticed Falks has closed down on Henry St as well.
    I actually read about a meeting that was held between Fine Gael councillors and city traders last week, chaired by Kevin Kiely. Kiely was apparently annoyed by the anger on display at the meeting by the traders. He is currently refusing to hold another meeting as a result. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Aidric wrote: »
    The same sentiment is killing the city centre. I noticed Falks has closed down on Henry St as well.
    I actually read about a meeting that was held between Fine Gael councillors and city traders last week, chaired by Kevin Kiely. Kiely was apparently annoyed by the anger on display at the meeting by the traders. He is currently refusing to hold another meeting as a result. :rolleyes:

Kiely actually left the meeting with the city traders well before it finished, and he reacted angrily when he was pulled on it, claiming he had other important meetings to go to.

Really classy of him to go to such an important meeting with the city traders with no intention of staying for the whole thing. Would have thought that the least he could have done was be professional enough to be there for the whole thing. Then again people were saying things that he did not want to here, and openly telling him how wrong his talk about how much of a shopping mecca the town centre is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Other than attending socials and looking like a drunk plum in photographs, what is it exactly that Kiely has done since taking office? I have yet to here him say anything visionary or positive.

Aidric wrote: »
    Other than attending socials and looking like a drunk plum in photographs, what is it exactly that Kiely has done since taking office? I have yet to here him say anything visionary or positive.

Well he did have his "Dey tek ar jibs" moment. :D

Other than that he has done pretty much the same as the other recent mayors.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,512 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭cullen5998

xtra vision is still there though. I used to go to gamestop there the whole time but over the last 2 years i found xtra vision was cheaper most of the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,238 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The Parkway SC is a disgrace and only Dunnes Stores is keeping the place open, I'd imagin the only reason they are still there is because they fear one of their rivals would move in.

It reminds me of how Roxboro Shopping Centre looked like for years, run down, lacking in any real investment and more empty units than occuppied ones.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Shammy

I have always bought my games at gamestop parkway, the staff have always been helpful and are good to have a crack, Earl left last october , Dave the manager left at Christmas.
    Ziggy new manager very nice bloke .
    Pity to see it closing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Mr E wrote: »
    its a disgrace in this day and age that greed is killing businesses like this.

Sure it was the greed of developers and landlords that got us into "this day and age".

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

Greed seems to have won the day here - Pity that the Landlords lesson has to come at the expense of decent Peoples livelihoods..... The Parkway is dreary, depressing, and smells very odd; I can't imagine that unit being filled again this decade.

Best of luck to all involved - have found ye to be more than helpful and nice Folks too.......

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭Agent_99

Think is has to do a lot with the future development of the site than the wish to reduce rents, they were suppose to do a redevelopment of the front a few years ago and it did not go ahead even tho it got to planning stage, less tenants, less hassle. place is a disgrace only go there if i have to go to the bank.

Agent_99 wrote: »
    place is a disgrace only go there if i have to go to the bank.

You mean the bank that closes at LUNCHTIME?
    Love to meet the rocket scientist who had that brainwave.

Shammy wrote: »
    I have always bought my games at gamestop parkway, the staff have always been helpful and are good to have a crack, Earl left last october , Dave the manager left at Christmas.
    Ziggy new manager very nice bloke .
    Pity to see it closing.

I know Ziggy pretty well. Nice bloke but he is not new with Gamestop, he is with them in the William street and Parkway stores for about 18 months.

Next time you are in there, tell him that drummers rule the world and that guitarists are ghey, especially the ones who like Dream Theatre. :D

Raiser wrote: »
    Greed seems to have won the day here - Pity that the Landlords lesson has to come at the expense of decent Peoples livelihoods..... The Parkway is dreary, depressing, and smells very odd; I can't imagine that unit being filled again this decade.

Best of luck to all involved - have found ye to be more than helpful and nice Folks too.......

Raiser is back. Alive and well :D I kept the O' Dea thread alive for ya. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 51,238 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

In fairness they are not the only bank that closes at lunch. BOI in Dooradoyle do also.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭macheda

Ya. I ve wondered about this myself. Surely they could alternate breaks and provide cover for lunch.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

The only businesses there doing a reasonable business I'd say is burger king, dunnes and maybe o briens off licence.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 gadgetfactory

Gutted for Ziggy and the hard working ppl in Gamestop, I for one will not step foot in the Parkway again if they allow Gamestop to leave, this is as bad as FF not allowing ryanair into Hanger 6. Come on Parkway managment, lower your prices, will be a ghost town soon if they dont

Rich
    http://thegadgetfactory.ie

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

I cant believe people are having sympathy for GameStop, the company who has been ripping people off for the last 6 years. Ever since they changed from GamesWorld they have been a joke with regards trade-in value and the price of new releases.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

Melion wrote: »
    I cant believe people are having sympathy for GameStop, the company who has been ripping people off for the last 6 years. Ever since they changed from GamesWorld they have been a joke with regards trade-in value and the price of new releases.

I think its the fact that People have become familiar with the staff that actually work there, liked and respected them......

- Who wants to see Folks lose their jobs*?

* Exception all Fianna Fail or Green Party Morons

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭Kev_ps3

Is that sale on yet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭Paulegend

Kev_ps3 wrote: »
    Is that sale on yet?

what sale?? i doubt they would need to have a sale when they could just ship the stock off to the cresent or to william street

They had a sign on Monday about a stock relocation sale.... haven't been in there since, but might go to the Parkway for lunch tomorrow.

From what I have been told, all the staff are being kept, they just get put in either the William Street or Crescent branches.

It has been in the offing for a long while according to a staff member.

Good to hear that people will still have their jobs anyway.

That's good news, Kess73.

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭Agent_99

Talking about the other one EBS which also closes at lunch. but the mortgage has to be paid (they can get kinda sticky about it) so it does require the odd visit.

• Advertisement
Advertisement