Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old injury/new job

Options
  • 22-02-2010 3:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭

Hi All...

About a year a half ago I injured me knee, cracked a bone and had surgery to remove bone that was chipped.. at the time I was about to sign a contact for part time work with a company. I had previosly worked here in a different department for 9 months The HR manager tried to put me in a dept that involved heavy lifting so I declined.

At Christmas I took up employment with same company worked in a diffrent department and got on fine no complaints at all with regards to my injury.

Got called back last week to work again and the position was for the same dept as I turned down a year ago but I took the job this time as I thaught I would be ok. I am working less than a week and I can feel severe pains in my knee but I am afraid to say it to HR incase I get fired, can she do this?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭jenny jinks

You should first of all seek medical advice. You do not want to end up a cripple. If you are medically unfit for the job HR would have no option but to terminate your employment. You are a danger to yourself and possibly others if you have a gammy knee. The best you could hope for would be a transfer to other work. You have no automatic right to a transfer. You need to be very careful with your knees. A lifetime of pain might be the result of abusing them.

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭jimoc

Your top priority here should be your own health, nothing is more important then that.
    But be careful about how you put this to HR, as it is quite likely they will take a very dim view of you accepting a position you knew you were medically unfit for.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I am afraid to say it to HR incase I get fired, can she do this?
    Which do you prefer? A few months on the dole looking for a job, or the rest of your life in a wheelchair because you f**ked up your knee?

Advertisement