Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tin Whistle

Options
  • 22-02-2010 3:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭

Hi Guys,

I would love to learn to play the tin whistle.
    I have never played an instrument in my life but think this is a beautiful one.

Could any of you guys recommend a course or a simple book for a complete beginner, bearing in mind I have no clue about keys, notes etc.

I came across this in my searches online and was wondering if it would be of any use.

Can anyone help please?
    Thank you in advance

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

I would strongly advise that you start off with a good real teacher, not a virtual one and not from a book or website. Reason I say this is because it's important to get the basics right from the start otherwise you'll end up with all sorts of problems down the road. You need someone to see you and make sure you're doing things the right way, right down to how you hold the whistle. Theres a few teachers listed in the sticky above or I'm sure you could find a course somewhere near you.

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭git_ireland

Thanks Blade.

I had a look at the sticky but funds cant stretch to regular lessons.
    Thays why i was thinking of the online course ora book if possible. Thanks for your time in responding. Doe anyone else have any opinions.

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭fh041205

I can only echo what Blade said; start with a good teacher to get the basics right. I was lucky enough to have a sister studying music who helped me understand how the notes, keys chords etc. work. But thats not something you need to worry about in the beginning. The important thing is to do it regularly when you start practicing. Oh and generation whistles are the bain of my existence. gl

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

fh041205 wrote: »
    Oh and generation whistles are the bain of my existence. gl

Highly recommend the Dixon range, you won't go wrong with a Dixon trad in brass for around 20 Euro available in most music shops. What do you use anyway fh041205?

A one to one teacher can be expensive I suppose, but you should be able to find group courses from the likes of http://comhaltas.ie/locations/

Thays why i was thinking of the online course ora book if possible.

These options are the only ones available to people living in big countries like America where they might have to travel hundreds of miles to get lessons. But you're in Ireland! :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 HENARRY JAYA

Two good inexpensive tin whistles to start with are: Clarke Sweetone D, and Generation D. Each of these has relatively good sound, requires minimal air, and are widely available for less than $10.00.
    I now have 12 tin whistles with which I have personal experience, and many online web sites such at Chiff and Fipple recommend starting with these low-priced whistles [chiffandfipple.com]

The Clarke Sweetone is absolute muck, it's more like a toy recorder than a whistle, more air and buzzing coming out of it than tone. The Generation D's are hit and miss and you'd need to go through a batch of them before finding a decent one, then you still need to get fine sandpaper and rub down the excess bits of plastic in the windway that are normally there.

Why bother when you can get a perfectly good Dixon Trad for only 20 Euro? You'll also find the Trad is highly recommended over at [chiffandfipple.com]

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭tarbolton

I can only echo recommendation in the above posts to get a live teacher rather than a virtual one if you can. Of course private lessons can be expensive. If this is an issue group lessons can be an economical alternative. Another benefit of this option is that you can meet other beginners and make mutually supportive contacts. Ceoltóirí Chluain Tarbh run small group classes on Dublin's Northside. You can find out more on their website. I am sure there are other groups around the country as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭fh041205

Blade wrote: »
    then you still need to get fine sandpaper and rub down the excess bits of plastic in the windway that are normally there.

Curiously enough, I never thought of that. I've 'manipulated' some of them in various ways. The worse ones that I've no intention of playing.

Aye, you'll want to take the head off them first which makes them tuneable, stick it in very hot but not boiling water until the glue loosens then just twist the head off it. Then be sure to use the finest sandpaper you can get to get rid of the excess bits of plastic in the windway. Just cut a long thin strip, feed it through the fipple, sand it down then turn the sandpaper around and do the other side.

• Advertisement
Advertisement