Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Banking Rates/Services

Options
  • 22-02-2010 4:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭

Mods if this isn't the right forum please feel free to move it.

I'm currently fed up of bad service, exorbitant charges and flat out incompetence at my current bank and I intend on changing. But the banks seems to change their rates/services so often these days its hard to keep up with what the best deals are. So I'm thinking.....boardsies can help!!
    Which banks have good deals these days ?
    Who is charging by the stamp and who isn't ?
    Where can I get free day to day banking ?
    Who is offering best rates currently ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Moved to Banking & Insurance & Pensions

dudara

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Best rates for ? savings, loans, interest on current account etc?

Most of them do free banking in some form with some conditions attached, like using the debit card in the month, or paying a bill online etc.

Which bank do you want to switch from? Narrows the list slightly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

Best rates for savings, current account and generally just a good current account service
    Looking for those which won't charge me EUR6 for getting a new atm card like BOI want to, won't charge me for normal transactions. I have no problem using a debit card if they need me to

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Ptsb have free transaction on current accounts: https://www.permanenttsb.ie/whatweoffer/currentaccounts/currentaccount/

And ulster bank do too: http://www.ulsterbank.com/roi/personal/daily-banking/current-accounts/standard-accounts.ashx

Ulster bank have a visa debit card instead of laser, which is quite useful for shopping online.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

Thanks.

I've previously found ulster bank to be appaling in terms of customer service and just generally incompentent and wouldn't touch them with a barge pole now
    BOI I'll try and talk to

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,920 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Just so you know you can get free banking with BOI too, you either have to maintain a minimum balance of €500 in your current account at all times (which is only possible if you're rich :p now if it was -€500 I'd be sorted!) or you can do three transfers out of the account every quarter (one a month is the best way to make sure you meet the quota) using 365 phone or online. It's really handy, you can either pay 3 bills, or put a little bit off your credit card, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭Griffin87

Im going to change my bank account aswell.

i was looking at permanent tsb but the visa debit card from uslter bank sounds great.

whats so bad about uster banks customer services ?

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭jockey#1

PTSB will also be replacing laser towards the end of the year with Visa debit cards. I am going to wait until then before moving my account. Lost without my Halifax Visa debit card :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

Griffin87 wrote: »
    Im going to change my bank account aswell.

i was looking at permanent tsb but the visa debit card from uslter bank sounds great.

whats so bad about uster banks customer services ?

Like every bank they can have their moments.......

It does seem the Visa Debit card that UB does is making alot of new customers. I am sure other banks will start to follow suit, in fact I think PTSB are getting it soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭Griffin87

ptsb are updating there laser card to a visa debit card on the 31st of july.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭JTMan

Best rates for savings, current account and generally just a good current account service

Savings best buys here:
    http://www.askaboutmoney.com/showthread.php?t=90481

Advertisement