Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Zyxel Prestige 600 Series

• 22-02-2010 4:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hi there I'm hoping that somebody here can help me. I have a Zyxel Prestige 600 series modem at home, which works fine, has great signal coverage and allows me connect to the internet on my Mac PowerBook without any problems.

However recently I've purchased an iPhone and have failed to get this to work with my router - even with full signal it does not appear to work. I don't understand why this is a problem as I have no issues connecting to other people's routers in the area.

I'm hoping that there is a simple fix... anybody got any ideas? Roger

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭cpu.dude

guidelines wrote: »
    Hi there I'm hoping that somebody here can help me. I have a Zyxel Prestige 600 series modem at home, which works fine, has great signal coverage and allows me connect to the internet on my Mac PowerBook without any problems.

However recently I've purchased an iPhone and have failed to get this to work with my router - even with full signal it does not appear to work. I don't understand why this is a problem as I have no issues connecting to other people's routers in the area.

I'm hoping that there is a simple fix... anybody got any ideas? Roger
    Perhaps the Zyxel has MAC filtering setup... Does is require a password to connect?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 guidelines

No my network is open but because there are no houses close by I haven't bothered setting one up. Do you know where I could check to see if there is a block?

guidelines wrote: »
    No my network is open but because there are no houses close by I haven't bothered setting one up. Do you know where I could check to see if there is a block?
    You can indeed, do the following:

http://192.168.1.1 > Username: admin Password: 1234 > Wireless LAN > MAC Filter > Is it Active?

Or

http://192.168.1.1 > Username: admin Password: 1234 > Network > Wireless LAN > MAC Filter > Is it Active?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 921 ✭✭✭mehmeh12

This particular modem has been known to be a piece of ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Italia

Agree 100%
    mehmeh12 wrote: »

• Advertisement

mehmeh12 wrote: »
    There is no particular modem, the P600 series refers to a possible c. 20 different modems, half of which are wireless.

Since it's wireless, it could be a P660HW-61/D1/D3/T1/T2/T3 v1/v2/v3 - that's why I posted two layouts (old and new firmware pages).

The Eircom P660HW-T1 v3 your using is problematic because of Eircom's Firmware, not the hardware (I'm using one myself).

OP, have you done as I have suggested and checked to see if MAC Filtering has been enabled?

Is there any way to flash the modem and put on original firmware?

I tried this on an old netopia, but wouldn't allow me to do so. When the flasher sw started, it would bomb out because was not recognizing the installed BIOS's string (think this is the correct terminology).
    cpu.dude wrote: »
    The Eircom P660HW-T1 v3 your using is problematic because of Eircom's Firmware, not the hardware (I'm using one myself).

Italia wrote: »
    Is there any way to flash the modem and put on original firmware?

I tried this on an old netopia, but wouldn't allow me to do so. When the flasher sw started, it would bomb out because was not recognizing the installed BIOS's string (think this is the correct terminology).
    I've tried and tried this with the Eircom but it keeps saying it's Illegal Firmware.

I believe this is because the Eircom Firmware is "technically" newer than Zyxel's latest Firmware but whatever Eircom did, messed things up royally (even though it just appears to be visual updates). Well they say one's coming soon so hopefully soon is around the corner.

This is the problem I had with netopia (and HP PC's).

Eircom doesn't actually write any firmware. it gets Zyxel / Netopia etc to write customised firmware for the modems distributed by Eircom (sort of OEM style).
    Granted I don't know if the version on Eircom modem is newer, but it is very unlikely to be. Normally OEM firmware is based on older 'tried and tested' firmware.
    What is happening, is that the flashing sw looks for an initialisation string in the modem BIOS, expecting to find the standard Zyxel one. When it encounters the OEM one created for Eircom, it bombs.
    If it were possible to reverse engineer the flasher tool supplied with Eircom firmware, you'd probably find that it is keyed in such a manner to bomb out if it finds 'normal' Zyxel firmware.
    cpu.dude wrote: »
    I've tried and tried this with the Eircom but it keeps saying it's Illegal Firmware.

I believe this is because the Eircom Firmware is "technically" newer than Zyxel's latest Firmware but whatever Eircom did, messed things up royally (even though it just appears to be visual updates). Well they say one's coming soon so hopefully soon is around the corner.

Italia wrote: »
    This is the problem I had with netopia (and HP PC's).

Eircom doesn't actually write any firmware. it gets Zyxel / Netopia etc to write customised firmware for the modems distributed by Eircom (sort of OEM style).
    Granted I don't know if the version on Eircom modem is newer, but it is very unlikely to be. Normally OEM firmware is based on older 'tried and tested' firmware.
    What is happening, is that the flashing sw looks for an initialisation string in the modem BIOS, expecting to find the standard Zyxel one. When it encounters the OEM one created for Eircom, it bombs.
    If it were possible to reverse engineer the flasher tool supplied with Eircom firmware, you'd probably find that it is keyed in such a manner to bomb out if it finds 'normal' Zyxel firmware.
    Well said. It's a shame though because their probably won't be any rush to get a new release for the Zyxel, tut tut.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Cherrycola

Just an update about these routers.

I can categorically state that this router has been the sole problem with my broadband dropping every 15mins since i got connected. :mad::mad:
    Its a piece of ****
    I borrowed a Netopia router for the last week and have not had one connection drop, packet loss, nothing.
    Eircom sent me another router, i requested a Netopia, but they couldnt guarantee one, and i ended up with another Zyxel, and within 3 mins of setting it up, connection was dropping again. :mad:

One major difference i have noticed with both routers is the lights on the Zyxel one flash all the time, on the Netopia one they are steady all the time.

The guy at eircom said my problem is the router is not holding the line.
    I dont think its MY problem, but their router problem, as the Netopia works just fine, and i cant be the only person having this problem!

So, what now?
    They cant provide me with a router that works, so do i push them for a discount, as they advertise their package as including a free wireless router??
    Im sure they will say they provided a router, but they never said it had to be a working router! :rolleyes:

Cherrycola wrote: »
    Just an update about these routers.

I can categorically state that this router has been the sole problem with my broadband dropping every 15mins since i got connected. :mad::mad:
    Its a piece of ****
    I borrowed a Netopia router for the last week and have not had one connection drop, packet loss, nothing.
    Eircom sent me another router, i requested a Netopia, but they couldnt guarantee one, and i ended up with another Zyxel, and within 3 mins of setting it up, connection was dropping again. :mad:

One major difference i have noticed with both routers is the lights on the Zyxel one flash all the time, on the Netopia one they are steady all the time.

The guy at eircom said my problem is the router is not holding the line.
    I dont think its MY problem, but their router problem, as the Netopia works just fine, and i cant be the only person having this problem!

So, what now?
    They cant provide me with a router that works, so do i push them for a discount, as they advertise their package as including a free wireless router??
    Im sure they will say they provided a router, but they never said it had to be a working router! :rolleyes:

+1

I have the same router-i feel your pain :(

Its disgraceful that they cant provide a product that works!! And all we get is a virtual shrug of the shoulders and "its not our problem" attitude when we call them!

What was wrong with the Netopia? Why did they change?

Fools! :mad::mad:

So how exactly are going to get your broadband fixed-are you changing provider?

The fact that eircom are still shipping out these defective zyxel modems just shows how eircom do not care about their customers. Pay now and go away when you have problems :pac: Sometimes i wish i lived in japan or one of those high speed fibre optic connected countries..if only.

Dont really have too many options with providers, as we live in the sticks, so eircom is the best of a bad lot really.
    Im actually using my Vodafone mobile dongle right now, as the eircom broadband is gone completely right now, red light on the router. :rolleyes:

I suppose i will just have to fork out for my own router, not a lot else i can do. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭Board Senseless

The problem isn't that it's broadcasting in 802.11n mode is it? I don't know if it's even capable of n. The iPhone only sees b and g I think.

Although n might be backward compatable. I'm not sure.

It's unlikely that this is your problem so just ignore me.:p

Advertisement