Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fairly low speeds on 24meg Vodafone

• 22-02-2010 4:37pm
    Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 827 ✭✭✭

Hey,

I was upgraded to Vodafone's 24 meg package recently. My line is capable of 17.5Mb but I seem to be maxing out at about 13.5Mb at off-peak hours and 12Mb at peak hours.

Obviously contention is the cause of the peak hours drop-off (and the difference is in keeping with the speed-drop I used to see on my old 8Mb connection)... so what's happened to the other 4Mb?

Any idea why I'm so far off my full speed? When they said my line was capable of 17Mb I was expecting to be getting a max of about 15-16Mb...

I notice my attenuation has gone from 18 to 20 since the upgrade, and my SNR has dropped from 13 to 6.5.

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Phlann

Any ideas, folks? Is this something I should be looking to complain about or is this just the way it is with these 24meg lines?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 365 ✭✭Calebmcd

Phlann wrote: »
    Hey,

I was upgraded to Vodafone's 24 meg package recently. My line is capable of 17.5Mb but I seem to be maxing out at about 13.5Mb at off-peak hours and 12Mb at peak hours.

Obviously contention is the cause of the peak hours drop-off (and the difference is in keeping with the speed-drop I used to see on my old 8Mb connection)... so what's happened to the other 4Mb?

Any idea why I'm so far off my full speed? When they said my line was capable of 17Mb I was expecting to be getting a max of about 15-16Mb...

I notice my attenuation has gone from 18 to 20 since the upgrade, and my SNR has dropped from 13 to 6.5.

With 48.1 contention that could drop to 1/2 mb
    When you upgrade the line starts to max out
    thats why your att/snr have changed

With 24mb your Max would be 21mb in REAL terms.
    Same as 8mb is closer to 6.5mb

So 16mb would be around 13mb and so on
    then the distance and line quality can lower speeds more

What do you sync at?
    If you sync at 17mb, you'll get speeds of around 14mb

http://speedtest.net/mini.php

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Phlann

Fair enough. Just wanted to check if my speeds were within the expected range or if this was something they needed to fix.

From what you're saying it sounds like what I'm getting is about normal. I figured the difference between my sync speed and actual speed would be more or less the same as on my old connection. But it seems like the difference doubled along with the speed...

Oh well.

Advertisement