Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

External Graphics Cards for Laptops

Options
  • 22-02-2010 4:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭

Can anyone recommend an external graphics card for a laptop?

I'd like to start gaming, but my Toshiba's graphics card is not up to par.

The graphics card is the only thing is has going against it in regards to gaming.

I can't justify forking out €1000 for a brand new laptop (as my current machine is just over one year old) and I don't want to get a desktop

Can anyone help?

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Oh dear... how do I break the news...

Basically you're ****ed.

There, brief and succinct. No need to draw the pain out :D

Seriously, there's no upgrade option for mobile graphics, and the precious few external GPUs out there are both very pricey and designed entirely for 2D work. Its time to either sell the laptop and buy a gaming model, keep the laptop and build a cheapo desktop for gaming, or keep the laptop and buy an XBox. Sucks but that's the price of portability :(

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭zodac

I'm afraid the man speaks the truth. There isn't a simple upgrade path for laptop graphics. You're best bet would be buying a cheap desktop, then swapping out the graphics card with a more recent one.

Advertisement