Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Controversy ensues over Bisping v Wanderlai *SPOILER ALERT*

Options
  • 22-02-2010 5:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭

From MMAbay.co.uk / Bisping.tv:

The middleweight contest between Michael “The Count” Bisping and Wanderlei” The Axe Murderer” Silva may not have been as straight forward as many first thought after it appears the Brit outscored the Brazilian in the second round of their fight.

Whilst you can clearly give round one to Bisping and round three to Silva, the whole fight hinges on what turned out to be a very interesting second round between the pair. The two big moments in the round went to Silva (sweeping the leg from under the Brit and locking up the guillotine) but apart from that it was all Bisping, scoring with two well timed takedowns and a number of crisp punches which left Silva’s face a mess by the end of the round.

If you take the partisan Silva crowd out of the equation as well as the incessant cheerleading of UFC colour commentator, Joe Rogan by muting your volume you will see that apart from these two brief moments it is Bisping that gets the better of nearly every exchange, landing punches and knees to great effect as he circles away. On top of that you will notice every time Silva stuffs a takedown from the Brit, it is Bisping that lands a series of telling blows on the exit, something that was seemingly missed by the hapless judges on the night.

Once again the UFC hype machine seems to have swayed not only the judges but the fans in attendance and watching around the world into believing “The Axe Murderer” is back in business. You only have to watch the Countdown to UFC 110 show to see how much time was devoted to Silva and in turn to the Brit.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭mark.leonard

Given Bisping's unpopularity it might be the last we hear of it.
    Hopefully it doesn't turn into another greasegate. I'd be happy enough to watch a re-match of that fight, I enjoyed it last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Not exactly controversy.
    Judges dont hear commentary.Round 2 was very close but Silvas stong finish and the big sweep would have gotten bit points in the judges eyes.They mention the takedowns but Silva was straight back to his feet so Bisping got a takedown but no control.Plus "left Silvas face a mess"??Bonnar was a mess.Silva was pretty normal.
    Just sounds like UK site butthurt to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭peter p

MMABAY are sponsors of the wolfslair gym and big bisping fans also! so they would call it controversy. i honestly think wandi took the 2nd and 3rd rounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Shazbot

Not exactly controversy, just maybe a bad decision. Not up there with Shogun vs Machida.
    Personally I thought Bisping won the fight but I was happy to see Silva back to winning ways so I didn't dwell on it too much.

Silva ended every round with a flurry. Pushed the pressure at the end of the 1st,almost choked out Bisping at the end of the 2nd and dropped him in the 3rd.
    Every coach will tell you to push the pressure in the final minute of a round. The judges are more inclined to remember the end of a round rather than the 1st 3-4 mins. I know they mark down the hits, take down attempts etc. as they come but a strong finish to a round may sway the judge.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭ginoginelli

No surprise there from mmabay.co.uk. Bisping was saved by the bell in the second. All he did before that was land a few inconsequential takedowns and a few jabs. I had wandy winning the round even before the guillotine. That just sealed it imo. Either by ufc scoring or pride scoring there is no doubt wandy won that fight.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

Hardlly Shogun-Machida this

• Registered Users Posts: 12,330 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Quick, somebody call a...
    wambulance.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 11,932 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Don't believe ANYTHING you read on MMAGAY, it really is a joke site run by a retard. The stories (all true too) that i could tell ya all about mmagay are unreal

scudzilla wrote: »
    Don't believe ANYTHING you read on MMAGAY, it really is a joke site run by a retard. The stories (all true too) that i could tell ya all about mmagay are unreal

I'm all ears...

active_listening.jpg

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

Is Bisping unpopular ? The UFC will not drop this guy he is to valuable in the UK market.

• Advertisement

scudzilla wrote: »
    wouldnt mind hearing some of those! i check mmabay out every mornin for the latest news, but recently i started to get pissed off with all the bull-sh1t they come up with.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,683 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

in all fairness, a lot of people here probably don't even go on mmabay...They just jump onto the Sherdog bandwagon of hating it. Guarantee it

http://www.mmafighting.com/2010/02/22/inside-compustrike-numbers-for-ufc-110/

just found this on mma fanhouse! its called compustrike so shouldnt be bias towards either fighter. But then again my electric razor hates bisping :D

• Registered Users Posts: 39,336 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

T-K-O wrote: »
    Is Bisping unpopular ? The UFC will not drop this guy he is to valuable in the UK market.

He isn't liked by a lot of fans. The aussies gave he a lot of abuse before the fight. They did however applaud him afterwards.
    The americans too fell out with him after TUF USA vrs UK.

However, its not a case of him being unwanted. He is disliked, but not unpopular. The people who dislike him want to see him fight, and lose.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,858 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

i had silva winning it also but only just
    Personally, i think the last 30 seconds of round 3 swayed
    it in silvas favour

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭Jason McCabe

Wandy won

And he looked purty

mailburner wrote: »
    i had silva winning it also but only just
    Personally, i think the last 30 seconds of round 3 swayed
    it in silvas favour

Even before the last 30 seconds I still had Silva winning the round and the fight. Just gutted that he didn't finish it. 2 more seconds and he'd have sealed the deal.

I gave it to Wandy tbh...
    He landed more and was more technical throughout the fight.
    Bisping fought well but didn't have it on the night.

Advertisement