Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How can I tell which processes are accessing an ext HD ?

• 22-02-2010 5:11pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,253 ✭✭✭

I have an external HD. Its access light keeps flashing, but I'm not (ATM) running any p2p software. How can I find which process is doing the access ? Running WinXP SP2.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ressem

Process Monitor (ProcMon) from the Microsoft Sysinternals Suite will help.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb545027.aspx

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 555 ✭✭✭zodac

I'm pretty sure XP has this function....

Open Task Manager and go to the "Performance" tab. Click "Resource Manager". Under the "Disk" tab, you'll see a section called "Disk Activity". One of the headings is called "File". If the driver letter is the letter of your Externam Hard Drive, that process is accessing that drive. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,253 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

zodac wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure XP has this function....

Open Task Manager and go to the "Performance" tab. Click "Resource Manager". Under the "Disk" tab, you'll see a section called "Disk Activity". One of the headings is called "File". If the driver letter is the letter of your Externam Hard Drive, that process is accessing that drive. ;)

I can't see a "Resource Manager" button on the "Performance" tab.

Nope, Resource Manager is in Vista and later, unless it's somewhere as a download.

bonzodog2 wrote: »
    I can't see a "Resource Manager" button on the "Performance" tab.
    ressem wrote: »
    Nope, Resource Manager is in Vista and later, unless it's somewhere as a download.

Bah, how about Start> Run> perfmon.exe?

• Advertisement

Perfmon will give you counters for Disk reads per second and similar stats, or process I/O read bytes per second etc.

Is there a way of getting it to report the particular processes reading/writing to a particular device?

ProcMon would be a lot quicker I'd say.
    You get a list of processes and what they are doing. Click the buttons in the menu to filter to only view disk accesses.
    It'll tell you what processes are accessing what files, and whether it's reading, writing or whatever.

ressem wrote: »
    Perfmon will give you counters for Disk reads per second and similar stats, or process I/O read bytes per second etc.

Is there a way of getting it to report the particular processes reading/writing to a particular device?

ProcMon would be a lot quicker I'd say.
    You get a list of processes and what they are doing. Click the buttons in the menu to filter to only view disk accesses.
    It'll tell you what processes are accessing what files, and whether it's reading, writing or whatever.

Ok fair enough; been a while since I've used XP.

God I love Win7. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,253 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

OK, thanks for your help. Procmon didn't do much for me; maybe its because the NTFS is F**KED up on that disk. I'm trying to remove stuff from it and not write any new files. I used RegMon and FileMon before, didn't realise they'd merged.

If NTFS is having problems then the disk access is likely autochk being run automatically by windows because the file system is in a 'dirty' state.

Advertisement