Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Guitar opinions

• 22-02-2010 5:12pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 453 ✭✭

Hi guys, recently took up guitar by getting a electro-acoustic guitar, Tanglewood dreadnought type. Great first guitar for me imo.

Im looking for picking up an electric guitar now and having trouble picking one. All reviews on ultimate-guitar are like 9/10 which is crazy.

Weight off guitars doesnt bother me, ill just play at home sitting down and im 6ft 6in tall and would prob prefer a larger than normal one by whatever.

Have at most 500e to spend, been looking at LePauls std (and std plus), Ibanez sa/gios. Struggling to pick some, also Yamaha Pacifica too.

Would love to hear thoughts, also my music type would be rock,pop,rnb type stuff. Not big into heavy metal or jazz yet. Im still a noob that needs to listen to more stuff.

So what would you buy for 500e?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭NoQuarter

I had 500 euro and walked into x music and bought a mexican telecaster and now i almost sleep with it, i love it! its a great great guitar!

If i had another 500 euro id buy a 335, theres two of them in in musicmaker in dublin city (dunno where your from) for about 400 each.

Both would suit your style of music I would think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 453 ✭✭Da GOAT

Live in dublin, have a car too if prices are worth the trip. thx for that, ill have a look for those on the net now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Have you budgeted an amp? Is that 500 amp + guitar? Xmusic has a really great selection of guitars, i'd recommend you pop out and try as many as you can, get an idea of what kind of sounds you want. As a Strat will sound completely different from a Les Paul, they'll also play completely differently, feel different etc etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 195 ✭✭BSOM

Squier Thin Line Tele, nom nom nom. €355 or so.

Epi LP would be great though and they are well priced in Ireland now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

+1 on the Mexican Tele, I love mine, but look second hand, I got mine for €350. I've heard the Japanese Fenders are even better than the Mexican ones though.

Regardless of what guitar you decide you'd like to get, my advice is to definitely look second hand first.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 453 ✭✭Da GOAT

Well I wasnt thinking of amp, I got a loan of a small 5watt amp thatll do for now. I can pick up an amp at some other stage.

Thanks for thoughts, looking at mex teles, Epi LPs and need to check out Squier Thin Line Tele. And Im checking adverts.ie etc for 2nd hands ones too.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭User2

El Pr0n wrote: »
    +1 on the Mexican Tele, I love mine, but look second hand, I got mine for €350. I've heard the Japanese Fenders are even better than the Mexican ones though.

Regardless of what guitar you decide you'd like to get, my advice is to definitely look second hand first.

+1 for second hand, You will find some unbelievable bargains on adverts at the moment.

If im not mistaken there a good few Tele's and Strats up there. I would recommend a Tele or strat.

Ibanez / ESP / Dean / BC Rich / Jackson - These brands are more often than not Usually used for Heavy Rock / Metal. I prefer the necks on most of the guitars listed as they are usually slimmer than that of Gibson / Epiphone / Fender, BUt I would not swap my 1980 fender Lead II for the World the neck on that is unbelievably skinny for a Fender.

It's personal preference though - Go to x-music / music maker, and try a load of different brands, one of them will feel right for you.

Advertisement