Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone use php eclipse?

Options
  • 22-02-2010 5:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,398 ✭✭✭

Hi Lads,

Just wondering if anyone uses this? What do they think of it? Any tips? I have it installed I'm just wondering what are the benefits of it over a regular text editor like textmate or notepad++ also what's going on with the workspace?

On my machine all my sites are in the localhost folder, so I can edit them and view them at the same time, should I be setting up the workspace to point at this directory or is this a temporary directory for editing??

Thanks
    Gary

Comments

I use it all the time. It is so extensible, and this is what makes it handy. I've set it up for

• XDebug to debug PHP with breakpoints, full view of variable values, etc.
    • Aptana - great javascript stuff and more
    • zen coding for hight speed markup entry
    • SVN integration for versioning

I like the code highlighting, auto-completion and the fact that I can use it in Linux. I find myself using dreamweaver, expression web and notepad++ less and less.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,398 ✭✭✭randombar

Thanks for the reply. Sounds good all right.

How do you get started with it?

Is there a tutorial or something??

Just want to know how to lay it out, do I leave my projects in their own folders etc? Use the workspace for the temp stuff??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,140 ✭✭✭ocallagh

I'm a big fan of Eclipse. It's a RAM hog but aside from that very good.
    Debugging, syntax highlighting, class inspection, auto completion are all great.

Workspace is just an area which Eclipse uses for editing. It's just a copy of whatever gets published to your webroot. I hate having duplicated code on my laptop so when I create a new PHP Project I create it in the actual webroot of my wamp installation (File >> New PHP Project >> Untick default directory and just browse to my webroot for the project. Also when asked to create in the folder or in a new folder I select the first option which warns you 'Delete the project will delete the entire folder blah blah'). I'm sure there are benefits of using a separate workspace and publishing to the webroot but I have yet to come across them. I'm sure the whole concept of a workspace comes from the fact Eclipse is primarily for Java which requires a separate working directory for source java files.

A very handy plugin is ESftp which allows you to connect to sFTP for each of your projects.

Also, a few sites I work on use subversion and Eclipse is great at managing that too using Subclipse. I'm in the process of creating a linux server on my home network which I'll use for all my development sites going forward (for version history etc).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,398 ✭✭✭randombar

Ya might give it a go for my next project.

I guess Text Mate does a lot of what I need at the moment, syntax, project folders, validation. Not sure how well debugging would work with a framework.

Definitely a couple of plugins that would be handy like the FTP, and really have to get into subversion at some stage!!

I know that the session data appended to the url by xdebug causes problems with rewrite rules on some frameworks. I'm sure it can be sorted with some tweaks in your test environment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭techguy

I'm using VS.PHP which is a PHP development plugin for Visual Studio..

I'm pretty happy with it as I spend most of my time in VS and the odd time I work with PHP I find it annoying to have to temporarily adapt to other IDE's .. I have previously been using Dreamweaver.

I went a little off topic there but my intention was just to let you know about VS.PHP in the event that you were already familiar with Visual Studio..

Advertisement