Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Possibly one for the girls - SHOPPING HELP!!

Options
  • 22-02-2010 5:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭

Hey ladies (and lads if you're interested.)!

I have a Christening this weekend which also happens to be the first time I meet my OH's extended family..

WHAT SHOULD I WEAR!! How should I wear my hair? What shoes?

I am going shopping on Thursday but don't have a clue where to start.

My buddies said to go for a neat, sunday's best look but my OH is wearing a suit like, super fancy family!!

Was thinking of looking for a longish white dress or something but I really have no ideas..

Any suggestions? Any shops ye think I should check out?

Cheers in advance!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

A Christening in Cork you say? Wear one of there:
    s94596.jpg
    And one of these:
    ONLC164-2T.jpg
    And you'll fit right in here in Cork, thats all we wear.

I think you may have posted in the wrong forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭NoDice

Hazys wrote: »
    A Christening in Cork you say? Wear one of there:
    s94596.jpg
    And one of these:
    ONLC164-2T.jpg
    And you'll fit right in here in Cork, thats all we wear.

I think you may have posted in the wrong forum.

Do you feel better now that that is out of your system? Was there really a need for your response? Relax a bit like.

I think you'll find, should you read the OP again(properly), that I posted in the Cork forum so that hopefully a helpful poster can suggest a shop I could start to look in.

As for fitting in in Cork by wearing the above, I'm from Cork. If I wasn't, a response like yours would instantly put me off visiting Cork and would give me a lasting bad impression of the people of Cork. Good job hun.

Don't reply unless you're contributing to the OP please.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭curly from cork

you might get more help in the rec forum under fashion and appearance .

you might get more help in the rec forum under fashion and appearance .

Thanks Curly, tried that too. Just a bit nervous and I'm a typical jeans and tee girl so just don't know where to shop for a nice dress. Thanks for the suggestion though. :)

NoDice wrote: »
    Do you feel better now that that is out of your system? Was there really a need for your response? Relax a bit like.

I think you'll find, should you read the OP again(properly), that I posted in the Cork forum so that hopefully a helpful poster can suggest a shop I could start to look in.

As for fitting in in Cork by wearing the above, I'm from Cork. If I wasn't, a response like yours would instantly put me off visiting Cork and would give me a lasting bad impression of the people of Cork. Good job hun.

Don't reply unless you're contributing to the OP please.

Wow...ok...so much for Cork people having a sense of humour.

You only mentiond once about what shop, then several references to what to wear, hair, shoes, hmmm sorry for taking a leap to suggest F&A would be better suited forum. Also Cork has most shops Dublin has so i dont think you get a lot suggestion of Dublin only based shops.

• Advertisement

Hazys wrote: »
    Wow...ok...so much for Cork people having a sense of humour.

You only mentiond once about what shop, then several references to what to wear, hair, shoes, hmmm sorry for taking a leap to suggest F&A would be better suited forum. Also Cork has most shops Dublin has so i dont think you get a lot suggestion of Dublin only based shops.

Ok sorry I flew off the handle, I got the impression that you were being sarcastic and making a sly comment about me being so worried about what to wear. So I do apologise about that.

I didn't mention Dublin and you didn't make a suggestion regarding the F&A forum at the end of the day so I hope you can see my side of it and understand why I took it the wrong way. It did come across (to me) as a stab for the sake of it.

I made several references regarding shoes, hair etc as I really have no idea what to do/wear. I always dress casually and tie my hair up. Last time I was at a Christening was years ago when I was younger and my Mum picked what I wore, that's how long ago it was.

Anyway. Point taken. I apologise. :)

Also I found the post funny until you wrote "You'll fit right in here in Cork, that's all we wear". Noted the sarcasm as a stab. ;)

Ok sorry I flew off the handle, I got the impression that you were being sarcastic and making a sly comment about me being so worried about what to wear. So I do apologise about that.

I didn't mention Dublin and you didn't make a suggestion regarding the F&A forum at the end of the day so I hope you can see my side of it and understand why I took it the wrong way. It did come across (to me) as a stab for the sake of it.

I made several references regarding shoes, hair etc as I really have no idea what to do/wear. I always dress casually and tie my hair up. Last time I was at a Christening was years ago when I was younger and my Mum picked what I wore, that's how long ago it was.

Anyway. Point taken. I apologise. :)

Also I found the post funny until you wrote "You'll fit right in here in Cork, that's all we wear". Noted the sarcasm as a stab. ;)

No worries. I actually had said in my post u should post in F&A but i went back and edited the sentence as it was gramitically incorrect and i forgot to put back in the F&A part, my bad for removing context.

The part about Dublin was just in case the reason you might not have posted in the F&A forum was that you presumed it was mostly Dublin based and youd get a list of Dublin shops.

Good luck on the day and what you wear and if in doubt, Cork GAA jersey and cap will do the job :cool: Sorry for derrailling your thread, i was just messing about. :o

the fashion forum is usually quite good however for cork based answers .. we ll try ! roughly ur age bracket and your budget please?

the fashion forum is usually quite good however for cork based answers .. we ll try ! roughly ur age bracket and your budget please?

I'm 22 and I'll spend anything up to 200 yoyos! Thanks a mill!!!

if you re a mahonpoint shopping person, next zara monsoon debenhams oasis french connection etc...they have a personal shopper called dee kelly -morgan ( she used to be the PS in BT) as far as i know there is no charge for her help, you just make an appointment, give her ur budget and off you go. she only works tues thurs fri sun mornings.it cost 20€ to book her but i think they give that back to you when u arrive, its a kind of booking fee to make sure you turn up for the appointment.

• Advertisement

if you re a mahonpoint shopping person, next zara monsoon debenhams oasis french connection etc...they have a personal shopper called dee kelly -morgan ( she used to be the PS in BT) as far as i know there is no charge for her help, you just make an appointment, give her ur budget and off you go. she only works tues thurs fri sun mornings.it cost 20€ to book her but i think they give that back to you when u arrive, its a kind of booking fee to make sure you turn up for the appointment.

Unreal, I actually might just do that. Very handy.

Thanks a mill guys. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭Max001

I'd be very tempted to give you another 200 'yo yos' just to follow Hazys suggestion, if I could see his family's faces as you walk in the door. Is Cork really that different from the rest of the country in having a preference for 'liesure wear' on all occasions? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Milly33

I'm 22 and I'll spend anything up to 200 yoyos! Thanks a mill!!!

Hey No Dice

Mm I think Pamela Scotts is great, it looks very old fashioned but they have some nice kinda differant funky pieces in there that or is it Swamp are after getting great stuff in...

I think I would be along the same lines as urself, well I would be cozy pants, boots and I would go all out with a black nice top :). Just wear somehting that you feel comfortable or at least semi comfortable in, stay away from the heels is you dont like wearing

Max001 wrote: »
    I'd be very tempted to give you another 200 'yo yos' just to follow Hazys suggestion, if I could see his family's faces as you walk in the door. Is Cork really that different from the rest of the country in having a preference for 'liesure wear' on all occasions? ;)

Ha ha yeah we discussed it and I think the plan is Munster Jersey with floral print strapless dress over it and a gaa cap. :)

Think I'd be single again pretty quickly if I did that!

Milly33 wrote: »
    Hey No Dice

Mm I think Pamela Scotts is great, it looks very old fashioned but they have some nice kinda differant funky pieces in there that or is it Swamp are after getting great stuff in...

I think I would be along the same lines as urself, well I would be cozy pants, boots and I would go all out with a black nice top :). Just wear somehting that you feel comfortable or at least semi comfortable in, stay away from the heels is you dont like wearing

Handy Milly thanks a million. I've never been in there but will pop in on Thursday. I actually love heels, I jusr prefer to dress casually and had no idea whether I should wear heels to a Christening or not!

Thanks for that tip again Milly. :)

Ladies should always wear heels I reckon, although sometimes you notice a lady with a fantastic arse and she is wearing flat shoes, respect :P

RoverJames wrote: »
    Ladies should always wear heels I reckon, although sometimes you notice a lady with a fantastic arse and she is wearing flat shoes, respect :P

Any lady with a fantastic ass can wear wooden clogs for all I care and why oh why would you be checking out her footwear RJ, if the view northwards is that good? :rolleyes: You do make me larf :D

Any arse connoisseur knows when heels are being worn or not without looking at the shoes ;)

Better halt with the thread hi jack, Ms Dice can be quite narky at times :D

Any arse connoisseur knows when heels are being worn or not without looking at the shoes ;)

You've heard of gaydar? I have assdar. Works on the same principles as boobdar. Even works in the dark if you go for the latest version. Plus, has 360 degree coverage so I don't need eyes in the back of my head. Only issue with it is, it has limited stealth capabilities. The other half can cause interference, malfunctions and in extreme situations, complete system breakdown requiring recalibration and slow, careful system boot-up over a protracted period of time. Doesn't come with a user manual unfortunately, so needs to be deployed sparingly and with care, esp when other half is in range.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

Max001 wrote: »
    Is Cork really that different from the rest of the country in having a preference for 'liesure wear' on all occasions?

No - I've seen plenty of places around the country where the dress code (and nothing else) is like an olympic village.

• Advertisement

No one suggested we all wear casual gear to Christenings, someone was just looking for advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,863 ✭✭✭Papa_Lazarou

I can safely say i dont own any sort of suit or nice shirt....casual all the way bai :P

I can safely say i dont own any sort of suit or nice shirt....casual all the way bai :P

Didn't you go on the social outing ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,863 ✭✭✭Papa_Lazarou

Didn't you go on the social outing ?

Just wore jeans and a hoody :p

Even got into savoy afterwards with them.

Ha ha ha narky at times RJ? You'll pay for that! :p

Went with a long sleeve, knee lenght dress from Swamp and a lovely pair of stilettos from New Look. Nice and fitted too so not too casual but dressy enough for Sunday's best and a meal to follow. :)

Cheers for all your help guys and girls!

Looking forward to the pics ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭Vinta81

Monsoon? Debenhams is fairly tatty in my opinion. I lovee Brown Thomas, but dunno is that in your price range. Karen Millen dresses take up a bit of my wardrobe.

Advertisement