Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

birthday present

Options
  • 22-02-2010 6:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭

My father likes hunting pheasents, duck and woodcock. He also likes fly fishing, what should I get him for his birthday he will be 55.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,472 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Waterproofs? A nice cartridge belt? Boots? Lots of gear to choose from, you need to find out what he has and what he could do with, and your budget.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Some people dislike gift vouchers but if you do not know what equipement, ammunition, etc that he would use a voucher from his local game/gun shop is the best and safest way to go.

If you know for definite that he needs boots, reels, lines, cartridges, etc then ask here which brand at whatever budget you set, but unfortunately without knowing exactly what he needs its a very broad sweeping question and you may end up buying something he neither needs or uses.

Do you shoot/fish yourself. If so this would be helpful in describing prospective gifts.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Conchurl

Do ye know any where I could buy a picture or a painting of dogs hunting or a fishing one in cork or kerry or any ones that i could pay by creit card over internet or phone.I think he like a painting or a picture the most.
    Buget €200 max.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 600 ✭✭✭greenpeter

Conchurl wrote: »
    Do ye know any where I could buy a picture or a painting of dogs hunting or a fishing one in cork or kerry or any ones that i could pay by creit card over internet or phone.I think he like a painting or a picture the most.
    Buget €200 max.
    Remember looking at them on ebay so try there.

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭daveob007

also try some of the markets or antique shops,some very lovely old curiosities there,i'v seen some fine old pieces at the munster indoor market just outside limerick,golfer,shooter,fisherman etc.
    have you tried some of the old pubs in your area,some of these have great old stuff if they are willing to part with them.
    best of luck.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34 1nk3d4L1f3

I got some Books & Pics here in the past. http://www.fishers.ie/index.php

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

Consider also a high quality print or two from John Griffin Photography.

Nothing explicitly there with hunting dogs or fishing that I can see, but his Irish wildlife and landscape photographs are nothing short of spectacular.

Perhaps give him a call, you'd never know what he might have that's not on the website but might fit the bill perfectly.

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭dicky82

theres a lad on here called mallards, only last week or so he had some pictures up that a friend of his painted. im sure if you pm him he could help you out. seems a sound bloke on here anyway. they pics were in the hunting section under a thread called ducks if i remember correctly.

i found a website that does them http://www.allposters.co.uk/-st/Hunting-Fishing-Posters_c123627_p11_.htm and i found some that i like

i was just talking to my father and he said he didnt want any pictures or paintings as he would have no where to put them.

Any ideas what i could get him he has a new rod plenty flies enough cartages and he already has a clay trap his birthday is in 3 weeks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭jap gt

i was just talking to my father and he said he didnt want any pictures or paintings as he would have no where to put them.

Any ideas what i could get him he has a new rod plenty flies enough cartages and he already has a clay trap his birthday is in 3 weeks

hi im not being a smart arse, but would you not just ask him what he wants, at least then he gets the thing he wants, its a win win

• Registered Users Posts: 2,352 ✭✭✭J.R.

Does he have a favourite shooting / fishing shop he frequents that would know him?.......if so, ask them ......they may know exactly what he's interested in / has browsed over or discussed with them.

Shooting men usually keep their hat, jacket, gloves, game bag, cartridge belt etc. for years and can get quite attached to them!!!......sometimes the tattier the better!!!..........even buying a new one could result in the old one still being used....believe it or not!

There are plenty of DVD's available in shops / on-line about pheasant / duck / wood cock shooting which he may be interested in.

€200 limit is a lot for a present and for that amount you would definitely like to get something he'd get a lot of use / enjoyment from.....as advised previously, if unsure ask him, to be sure........the painting / photo idea you put to him reinforces this point......a shame / disappointment to purchase a fine present that he not may not derive enjoyment / use from.

Advertisement