Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Humax FOXSAT-HDR Freesat+ 320GB HD Digital TV Twin Tuner HD Recorder

• 22-02-2010 6:58pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44

Hi there. I hope you can help me with my query. I have a lidl silvercrest satellite box. It's been great except that now I'd like to move up and get one with at least a 7 day epg and I want a + version to record programmes and series. I have been researching all day and the
    Humax FOXSAT-HDR Freesat+ 320GB HD Digital TV Twin Tuner HD Recorder
    caught my attention. Does anyone know if it's the best one out there for my needs? Also has anyone had any problems recently with it? Or even if someone has it and it's working great please let me know.
    Your help is greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,131 ✭✭✭John mac

If you do a search on the forum you will find loads of threads about the Humax..

I dont have one, but anyone on here who have,seem to be v happy.

Richersounds have them for a good price.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,876 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

I had a Lidl box and upgraded tp the Foxsat HDR and I am delighted with it. You will need two feeds from the satellite to the box, and this allows the full functions of the box.

Great box, but it only has 7 day EPG for the Freesat channels. I do not watch any other FTA so I am not bothered, but Skynews is not on freesat. To switch from Freesat to FTA is a bit is a pita.

Picture quality is great. You get BBC HD, and ITV1 is HD sometimes.

There is a new one coming out in the autumn I beleive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,596 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

you only NEED one feed and it works very well with one feed, most channels are on the same band but 2 gives you fill functionality.
    Great machine, highly recommended. Richer sounds do a great deal with it too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44 fabulousdeal

Excellent, Thanks a million everyone. I'm happy enough without the sky news because I barely watch it. I don't think I lose anymore channels. So it's all good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Check Amazon UK, pretty sure they were around the GBP 230 mark last week with free delivery.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44 fabulousdeal

Actually I was thinking of buying it with Amazon Gran Hermano but if you buy through www.shopireland.ie you always get free shipping. It's great. It's basically the Irish amazon. I found one for €280. I think that's probably the best price I'll get!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

Actually I was thinking of buying it with Amazon Gran Hermano but if you buy through www.shopireland.ie you always get free shipping. It's great. It's basically the Irish amazon. I found one for €280. I think that's probably the best price I'll get!!

€271.42 if you buy from Amazon in Sterling. Shipping is free as your order is over £25

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭Kashkai

I bought mine from richersounds last May and it is the biz when it comes to organising your tv viewing to suit yourself with recording programmes, whole series, pausing live tv, rewinding live tv etcetc. Can't recommend it enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 CorkMaths.ie

EXcellent piece of equipment, great to have everything recorded and not have to watch ads

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭elvis23

Pity it doesnt have a DTT tuner also.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,876 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Pity it does not record from the scart in the back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 269 ✭✭Martin_F

Pity it does not record from the scart in the back.

For that I believe you need the Panasonic Freesat+ units - the pricey ones with integrated DVD or Blue Ray Recorders.

It is a shortcoming in the Foxsat unit.
    Also, it zaps the buffer menu if the channel is changed. (Even if it was just the dog standing on the remote!):mad:
    It also does not record the buffer element if you want to record a running programme.

Even with these shortcomings, it is a brilliant piece of kit. All these could be overcome by a firmware upgrade.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,336 ✭✭✭✭Tony

elvis23 wrote: »

There would be no point in the UK

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

Tony wrote: »
    There would be no point in the UK

Particularly if it was just MPEG2. {Although the freesat has MPEG4 decoding anyway - but you know the way UK things work}:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭D'Peoples Voice

elvis23 wrote: »
    so even though this says
    Receives HDTV signals (MPEG-4 AVC/H.264 and MPEG-2)

I can't hook up a VHF aerial to the box and get DTT also!

I know I canget a Mpeg-4 television, but it might be a bit annoying having to keep switching from the EPG on the digitial telvision tuner to the EPG on the Humax as I flick through the channels!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭fat-tony

There is no VHF/UHF tuner on this kit - just satellite. So no possibility of DTT reception, irrespective of its MPEG4 capabilities.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

so even though this says
    Receives HDTV signals (MPEG-4 AVC/H.264 and MPEG-2)

I can't hook up a VHF aerial to the box and get DTT also!

I know I canget a Mpeg-4 television, but it might be a bit annoying having to keep switching from the EPG on the digitial telvision tuner to the EPG on the Humax as I flick through the channels!
    If you want one EPG with both satellite and DTT channels, you want a combi receiver like;
    http://www.satboerse24.de/images/Edision%20Argus%20mini-sw-n.jpg
    Plug in your satellite feed and your digital aerial, and Robert is indeed your father's brother!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Skatman

blueser wrote: »
    If you want one EPG with both satellite and DTT channels, you want a combi receiver like;
    http://www.satboerse24.de/images/Edision%20Argus%20mini-sw-n.jpg
    Plug in your satellite feed and your digital aerial, and Robert is indeed your father's brother!

On the very same line am stuck in the middle, I like the Humax, but, am torn apart by the Humax as well as the Technomate TM 6900 HD Combo. Hence my predicament, which to choose, as for the Humax it comes with the internal memory but, no DTT tuner while the Technomate does.

I need one thing that will control all channels as well as show Irish channels, hence why I like the Technomate. I hate the switching from the Receiver to the TV just to watch RTE and the lot.

So guys, what do you think is best and why? And if you like the Technomate, are there any better out there with Combo Tuners?

Cheers.

Skatman wrote: »
    On the very same line am stuck in the middle, I like the Humax, but, am torn apart by the Humax as well as the Technomate TM 6900 HD Combo. Hence my predicament, which to choose, as for the Humax it comes with the internal memory but, no DTT tuner while the Technomate does.

I need one thing that will control all channels as well as show Irish channels, hence why I like the Technomate. I hate the switching from the Receiver to the TV just to watch RTE and the lot.

So guys, what do you think is best and why? And if you like the Technomate, are there any better out there with Combo Tuners?

Cheers.
    I have the Humax hooked up to the TV in the bedroom. It's a lovely piece of kit, but it does have the drawback of not being able to receive DTT. Hence I also need to have a set top box to decode the mpeg 2 DTT signal to mpeg 4 to suit the TV. It's a complicated solution to the problem (also having to switch between different HDMI ports on the TV). Whereas the main set in the house is hooked up to the Edision combi receiver. The Edision also converts the DTT signal from mpeg 2 to mpeg 4, cutting out the need for either a new telly or another set top box. Therefore one HDMI lead from the combi to the TV, and one EPG. The only drawback is there is no seven day EPG for the FTA channels, only a ''now and next'' guide. The Humax is the nicer unit to use, but the Edision is the better all round solution. Can't pass comment on the Technomate as I haven't used it.

• Advertisement

The Edision also converts the DTT signal from mpeg 2 to mpeg 4,

What makes you think it does this? The RTE DTT sig is mpeg 4 to begin with

Tony wrote: »
    What makes you think it does this? The RTE DTT sig is mpeg 4 to begin with
    Oops; got my 2's and 4's mixed up.
    doh1.jpg
    It should have been the other way around. S-o-r-r-y!!!
    :(

Oops; got my 2's and 4's mixed up.
    doh1.jpg
    It should have been the other way around. S-o-r-r-y!!!
    :(

Not a problem :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 269 ✭✭Martin_F

Joinfreesat have a post about a new PVR comming soon.

http://www.joinfreesat.co.uk/index.php/echostar-plan-freesat-pvr-with-slingbox-feature#comments

note the suggestion it may incorporate some kind of DTT tuner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

Martin_F wrote: »

http://www.joinfreesat.co.uk/index.php/echostar-plan-freesat-pvr-with-slingbox-feature#comments

That would be interesting. Also would be interesting if the proposed slingbox capability worked for non-UK residents.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭200motels

Martin_F wrote: »

If that becomes available then I'd be very interested in buying one and getting rid of Sky.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭iba

Hi,

Im having problems tuning in my Humax FOXSAT and would appreciate some help.

I currently have a Lidl Silvercrest STB connected to Arabsat. I wish now to switch my Silvercrest STB with my Humax one on 26.0E. When I go into the Advanced Hidden Menu on the Humax I note that Arabsat is recorded as 30.5E but I also notice that Badr 6 is at 26.0E (am I right in thinking that Badr 6 and Arabsat are the same Sat?). So anyway I add Badr 6 the Sat list and do a search, but get absultly nothing, (no channels found).

What am I doing wrong? Any help would really be appreciated.

Regards

Iba

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 951 ✭✭✭Trevord

Posting same query to two threads is bad form.

See my reply on the other thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭iba

Sorry but I didnt know which was the more appropriate forum to post in

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 401 ✭✭holidaysong

I've a query with the Humax Foxsat that hopefully someone spots in this thread. When I'm in non-Freesat mode watching the music channels that aren't on the Freesat EPG my recordings from my Freesat scheduled recordings are all failing. This is happening even when I only have one recording scheduled so it's not a case of the two tuners being in operation and a recording failing due to a third tuner being needed.

When in Freesat mode, I'm able to record two channels at once with no problems. Is this normal or is there some kind of problem here? It's quite annoying as I tend to have a non-Freesat music channel on in the background for an hour or two but now I have to remember to go back into Freesat mode whenever I have a scheduled recording coming up...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭fat-tony

It's not a tuner issue. It's the fact that you're in non-freesat mode. Normally if you have a recording scheduled, the box will prompt you to switch back to freesat mode before the scheduled time (so that it can pick up the exact start of the programme from the EPG data). If you're not looking at the TV (which you won't be if you're listening to radio;)), then you may miss the prompt. Moral of the story - non-freesat mode on the Humax is not brilliant. Otherwise I think it's the dog's danglies:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 951 ✭✭✭Trevord

Hhhmm..........

I don't spend too much time in non-freesat mode but I did think that the box returns to Freesat mode automatically about 10 to 15 mins before the recording time.

Is every single recording failing or is confined to particular channels?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 401 ✭✭holidaysong

fat-tony wrote: »
    It's not a tuner issue. It's the fact that you're in non-freesat mode. Normally if you have a recording scheduled, the box will prompt you to switch back to freesat mode before the scheduled time (so that it can pick up the exact start of the programme from the EPG data). If you're not looking at the TV (which you won't be if you're listening to radio;)), then you may miss the prompt. Moral of the story - non-freesat mode on the Humax is not brilliant. Otherwise I think it's the dog's danglies:)

Thanks for info. At least I now know it's not a problem with my box. I have to say that I'd never noticed the on screen prompt before, but I did a test there and it's popping up for me alright.
    Trevord wrote: »
    Hhhmm..........

I don't spend too much time in non-freesat mode but I did think that the box returns to Freesat mode automatically about 10 to 15 mins before the recording time.

Is every single recording failing or is confined to particular channels?

It's every recording that's failing. Unfortunately it doesn't automatically return to Freesat mode, it's just the on screen prompt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭norbert64

Anyone mind confirming for me whether the postcode trick does actually work on this machine, for getting us Fiver/FiveUSA etc here in ROI, or are we still blocked? :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭Mr McBoatface

Fiver/FiveUSA and their +1's are encrypted and currently only available on Satellite via a Sky UK sub or FTV card.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 720 ✭✭✭kierank01

What are the features of the ethernet port on this box?

Is it just the bbc iplayer, and effectively useless in Ireland.
    Or can you look at youtube, rte player etc. Also can recorded shows be transferred off to a lan storage device, or can stuff be viewed from the lan?

If no, is there any freesat+ box that can do any of these things?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

norbert64 wrote: »
    Anyone mind confirming for me whether the postcode trick does actually work on this machine, for getting us Fiver/FiveUSA etc here in ROI, or are we still blocked? :cool:

You will receive only FTA channels. You will not receive any encrypted channels that are not available to you on a cardless Sky box.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

kierank01 wrote: »
    What are the features of the ethernet port on this box?

Is it just the bbc iplayer, and effectively useless in Ireland.
    Or can you look at youtube, rte player etc. Also can recorded shows be transferred off to a lan storage device, or can stuff be viewed from the lan?

If no, is there any freesat+ box that can do any of these things?

The ethernet is currently useless but it may become usable with the international iPlayer if and when it goes live. You might be able to do something with a proxy but that's a whole different discussion.

You can store recordings to, and watch from, an external drive on either of the USB ports. It should be Ext 3 formatted for best results and to get around around file size restrictions on long or HD recordings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Saorsat via MHEG5 might use the ethernet port for RTE content.
    (no service till May).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 720 ✭✭✭kierank01

watty wrote: »
    Saorsat via MHEG5 might use the ethernet port for RTE content.
    (no service till May).

Interesting, would that be something in addition to what is currently available on saorview?
    I read somewhere that saorview and saorsat were supposed to provide the same service, so if this was to be additional on saorview sa well, would that make the walker dtt boxes non compliant?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭norbert64

jobyrne30 wrote: »
    Fiver/FiveUSA and their +1's are encrypted and currently only available on Satellite via a Sky UK sub or FTV card.
    I was afraid you were gonna say that. :(

I could swear I've read something here about some postcode trickery for the HUMAX though.
    I guess that must only apply to UK regional services?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭excollier

Try the Technomate TM7102. It has twin DVB-S2 tuners and a DVB-T2 tuner that will receive Saorview.
    It also sports CI slot and card reader and DiSEqC / USALS, what more do you need?
    Not cheap but a good all in one box, no 7 day epg either, but TV Times/ RTE guide is cheap!

excollier wrote: »
    Not cheap but a good all in one box, no 7 day epg either, but TV Times/ RTE guide is cheap!

Not more subscriptions. It is supposed to be FREE.:)

Not more subscriptions. It is supposed to be FREE.:)
    Listen, you get nothing for nothing, fact.

Listen, you get nothing for nothing, fact.

I get all my TV without subscription. That is for nothing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

A years RTE guide will nearly pay half a decent set-box that has 7 day guide.

I get all my TV without subscription. That is for nothing.

Aside from the TV licence fee, so do I.
    Be thankful to the TV licence fee payers of Britain, eh?
    They get nothing in return for providing us with free tv and radio.

Aside from the TV licence fee, so do I.
    Be thankful to the TV licence fee payers of Britain, eh?
    They get nothing in return for providing us with free tv and radio.

Well some of them do. There are those that get RTE television in NI. Fair swap, I'd say.

Well some of them do. There are those that get RTE television in NI. Fair swap, I'd say.

What about the several millions in GB who do pay but get nothing in return? They are the ones who fund the BBC, and ITV for that matter, in the main. Fair swap? I don't think so!
    The UK probably has more licence fee payers than Ireland has total population.
    Anyway I don't think they are too concerned about not receiving RTE etc anyway , but that's not really the point.
    Almost the whole of Ireland can watch almost all UK FTA programming for free, a tiny proportion of the UK can watch Irish programming in return, yeah my mistake, fair swap.

What about the several millions in GB who do pay but get nothing in return? They are the ones who fund the BBC, and ITV for that matter, in the main. Fair swap? I don't think so!
    The UK probably has more licence fee payers than Ireland has total population.
    Anyway I don't think they are too concerned about not receiving RTE etc anyway , but that's not really the point.
    Almost the whole of Ireland can watch almost all UK FTA programming for free, a tiny proportion of the UK can watch Irish programming in return, yeah my mistake, fair swap.

The UK government benefits by much more than any licence fee that they might collect from Freesat users by the VAT paid by all the Irish Sky subscribers who pay on average €400 per year in UK VAT. This is more than if every Freesat paid a full UK licence.

So it is the UK side who benefit.

• Advertisement
Advertisement