Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Humax FOXSAT-HDR Freesat+ 320GB HD Digital TV Twin Tuner HD Recorder

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭excollier

The UK government benefits by much more than any licence fee that they might collect from Freesat users by the VAT paid by all the Irish Sky subscribers who pay on average €400 per year in UK VAT. This is more than if every Freesat paid a full UK licence.

So it is the UK side who benefit.

Not in terms of receivable tv transmissions.

But the basic FTA channels, of which there are many, cost Irish residents nothing, zilch, squat, they can be received by any FTA receiver.
    RTE, on the other hand, will never be receivable by GB residents, so the UK is giving away free tv to Ireland, nobody is forced to pay Sky a bean for these, or any vat, which is surely paid to the Irish vat man anyway.
    Ireland benefits from UK FTA overspill, GB gets no Irish FTA overspill, there is so little it's irrelevant on the grand scale.
    If the BBC, ITV, etc. suddenly went the same way as RTE on Ka-Sat then what would we be left with to watch over here? Four or five channels?
    I know it's highly unlikely, or even possible with so many channels, but if it were, I would say the free stuff would be missed.
    Anyway, it's irrelevant, free tv from the UK looks set to continue for a very long time yet, so, as I said, be thankful to the UK licence fee payer, and don't look a gifthorse in the mouth.
    Well us border dwellers will continue to enjoy Freesat, Freview and Saorview- no subs! Thank you and good night.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭Mr McBoatface

Actually Sam is correct The VAT charged to SKY's Irish customers goes to the UK exchequer and not the Irish one.

jobyrne30 wrote: »
    Actually Sam is correct The VAT charged to SKY's Irish customers goes to the UK exchequer and not the Irish one.

It's a personal choice! No sub to Sky, no VAT to UK! Simple.
    Anyway, we're way off topic, apologies to the OP.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,876 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Not only do Irish subscriber to Sky pay UK vat, but Sky and UPC subscribers also pay royalties to the BBC and to other channels. So Freesat users are riding free on the backs of all those willing subscribers to pay TV here in Ireland. Fair play to them, but they are willing subscribers and could go the freeTV route if they wished.

There is no requirement for a paid subscription to watch RTE (except for the few who cannot receive it. They should be subsidised.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,584 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

I really can't understand why anyone in this day and age would recommend buying a satellite box that doesn't have 7 day EPG!

The Foxsat HDR is a great box, very happy with mine.

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 724 ✭✭✭20/20

I agree ninja,why would anybody want to buy a satellite box without 7 day EPG.

Not only do Irish subscriber to Sky pay UK vat, but Sky and UPC subscribers also pay royalties to the BBC and to other channels. So Freesat users are riding free on the backs of all those willing subscribers to pay TV here in Ireland. Fair play to them, but they are willing subscribers and could go the freeTV route if they wished.

There is no requirement for a paid subscription to watch RTE (except for the few who cannot receive it. They should be subsidised.

Do you honestly believe that Irish Sky sub payers are the ones who fund Freesat in it's entirity? Wise up, what about the sub payers in the UK and licence fee payers? They massively outnumber the sub payers here.
    Sky subbers here contribute a small percentage, but it is small. And they all help those of us here who take the totally free Freesat ride
    Freesat would have to exist in the UK even if no-one here paid into Sky.

ninja900 wrote: »
    I really can't understand why anyone in this day and age would recommend buying a satellite box that doesn't have 7 day EPG!

The Foxsat HDR is a great box, very happy with mine.

I own the Foxsat HDR myself, great piece of kit, but the OP was looking for something that will do FTA satellite and Saorview in one box, I simply suggested the very piece of kit that is capable.
    If you search elsewhere in similar fora you will see that the Technomates are already capable of a 7 day auto update epg for BBC on a new patch, and the other channels will follow in the near future. It then will be (the TM7102) a very attractive one box solution, triple tuner HD with hard drive up to 1.5 TB capability. Good combo box. Pricey, but very capable.
    So now do you understand, why in this day and age, I would suggest such a box?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

excollier wrote: »
    Do you honestly believe that Irish Sky sub payers are the ones who fund Freesat in it's entirity? Wise up, what about the sub payers in the UK and licence fee payers? They massively outnumber the sub payers here.
    Sky subbers here contribute a small percentage, but it is small. And they all help those of us here who take the totally free Freesat ride

Also not a penny of Sky money goes to Freesat.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,876 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

excollier wrote: »

There is no cost to anyone if people here in Ireland use Freesat. The signal is there already provided for use by those UK licence payers who otherwise could not receive British television. Freesat is provided to save the BBC money.

Only the BBC is subsidised by the licence fee. All other channels derive substantial funds from advertising.

It is EU policy to allow, even encourage, overspill viewing. This is just an example of this. The people who receive terrestial overspill are in the same position. Freesat viewers here pay (or should pay) a licence fee to the Irish government.

There is no cost to anyone if people here in Ireland use Freesat. The signal is there already provided for use by those UK licence payers who otherwise could not receive British television. Freesat is provided to save the BBC money.

Only the BBC is subsidised by the licence fee. All other channels derive substantial funds from advertising.

It is EU policy to allow, even encourage, overspill viewing. This is just an example of this. The people who receive terrestial overspill are in the same position. Freesat viewers here pay (or should pay) a licence fee to the Irish government.

Which takes me back to my point.
    This country gets free tv from the UK, but the UK gets almost nothing in return.
    Not that they care, or even know, generally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭Laphroaig52

Going back on topic, does anyone find navigating the Humax EPG a bit sluggish compared to the Sky box?

Also, when I enable the Humax input on the (Sony) television, I initially get a green screen with audio. It usually takes a channel change to get the video back.

I've ony started using it recently....trying to wean the family off Sky.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 951 ✭✭✭Trevord

Flyer28 wrote: »
    Going back on topic, does anyone find navigating the Humax EPG a bit sluggish compared to the Sky box?

Also, when I enable the Humax input on the (Sony) television, I initially get a green screen with audio. It usually takes a channel change to get the video back.

I've ony started using it recently....trying to wean the family off Sky.

Yes it would be nice to get back on topic !!! (MODS - can the off topic posts be deleted?)

On the sluggish navigation issue is your hard drive almost full eg at say 95%?

The remote does need to be pointed fairly directly at the box. Also try leaving the door at the front in the open position (so that you can see the buttons and usb port). Does that improve things ?

As far as I know - the green screen issue is a problem relating to the way different TV manufacturers deal with HDMI. Have no direct experience of the problem you refer to but others on boards with sonys may have some better info on that.

There is a plastic film on both the door and the sreen behind the door. These affect the remote and should be removed.

I get the green screen you refer to, but I am used to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 391 ✭✭frankie2shoes

i've just started looking into breaking away from sky and their monthly ripoff. the technomate is bleedin expensive!! over 400 sterling and that doesnt include the hard drive!!
    the Humax looks a more realistic option at around 260 euro from richer sounds.
    can anybody confirm that the main difference between these two is that the technomate can show rte1,2, tv3 and tg4 and with the humax ya gotta have rabbit ears and watch these channels on a seperate input.
    also what ever happenned to humours that rte were going digital?
    thanks for all the posts guys. a few short minutes trawling through boards and beginning to get my head round a sky free life.
    thinking of going with the humax in conjunction with apple tv for my hd movies

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Without Sky sub you need a TV aerial and Digital TV or DTT setbox for Irish TV

www.saortv.info
    also http://www.saortv.info/about/faq/

Or a "Combo" box that has Dish and Aerial Connections. Humax don't make a "Combo" and are unlikely to make one in the future.

Apple TV is pointless, a Nvidia Ion netbook with HDMI is more use. A Bluray player is better for HD movies.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭KELTICKNIGHTT

would i be correct in saying this box wont get the new digital service rte is currently finishing and would still need a dtt box if ones tv doesnt support rte digital and second question
    is there a hd recorder box with twin tuner that does,any links
    thanks in advance
    p.s
    was looking at this box,any thoughts
    http://download.p4c.philips.com/files/h/hdt8520_05/hdt8520_05_pss_eng.pdf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,050 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I see a lot of chat about RTE2 HD.

Could someone shed some light on this please.

Is this currently transmitting, or is it only in tests?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭Mr McBoatface

NIMAN wrote: »
    I see a lot of chat about RTE2 HD.

Could someone shed some light on this please.

Is this currently transmitting, or is it only in tests?

It's broadcasting In HD resolution on Saorview with excellent PQ since December. At the moment it appears to be all upscalled (but very well done) , some true HD material should be coming sometime this year. RTE1 HD, TV3 HD to come too :)

See the Terrestrial TV Forum - http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056107911

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 391 ✭✭frankie2shoes

watty wrote: »
    Without Sky sub you need a TV aerial and Digital TV or DTT setbox for Irish TV

www.saortv.info
    also http://www.saortv.info/about/faq/

Or a "Combo" box that has Dish and Aerial Connections. Humax don't make a "Combo" and are unlikely to make one in the future.

Apple TV is pointless, a Nvidia Ion netbook with HDMI is more use. A Bluray player is better for HD movies.

thanks for your help Watty.
    I'm aware of apple tv's shortcomings but i love its ease of use. although its not 1080i it does wirelessly link up with my iphone and mac and will stream from both with out patches or fiddly messing . which is nice!
    anyway back on topic.
    the big problem the family will have with switching to freeview is the fact that all channels can't be accessed in a handy sky+ styley.
    does anyone have a simple, affordable solution that the average joe/josephene could install/use?

• Advertisement
Advertisement