Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Review (a little late!) Little Gem (last chance to see)

Options
  • 22-02-2010 7:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭

Thanks to boards for the free tickets to see this play on Valentine's weekend. I thought the play was great, and would recommend you see it - but you would have to go tonight, or on Wednesday! It's closing...

Apologies for the delay in posting up the promised review of it.

Here is the review, written by my Valentine...

The signs outside tell me this is a play of one hour and 40 minutes duration, and with no interval. Immediately I'm re-thinking the purchase of another drink from the bar but it's T minus 20 minutes and its a Saturday night.

On entering the theatre, the stage is simple. No curtain, no fancy props. Just three chairs. Mmmm...1 hour and 40 minutes, this is going be be interesting if nothing else! I've heard the reviews, but you often wonder if a play like this will live up to the hype? Could it be as good as they say?

The lights hadn't yet faded in the theatre and I regretted that
    last drink. Two minutes in, and all thoughts of the nearest loo and an emergency escape route went out the window. One hour and 40 minutes later...I was wiping tears of laughter and tears of sorrow from my face as I clapped my little heart out. I left the theatre feeling like I was part of the family. Three women: A grandmother, a mother and an 18 year old daughter. The stories they tell are simple. Simple but real. I lived every moment with them - the Debs, the toils of work, the romance, the embarrassment, the joy, the laughter. More powerful than their stories, was the way they were told. I can't compliment their acting because to me, they weren't acting. They were having a natter over a cup of tea in my front room, telling a tale, having a moan, re-living a memory or buying a rampant rabbit!!!! You heard me!

I'm not a crier. I mean I cry, in real-life, but I'm not a crier at movies or watching the news. But randomly, a tear or four ran down my face during Little Gem feeling their troubles and hurt. And then, moments later, as I was subtly trying to wipe them away without looking like a soppy arse, I'd realise I was laughing! Because more than anything, this play will make you laugh. The sad moments are just that - moments. They hit you inside because you've been there, or you know someone who's been there. But it fades with the next joke and the laughter will last long after you get home. You'll be washing your teeth a few hours later and a phrase or an image will pop into your mind and you'll laugh again, spluttering minty foaminess on the mirror.

I believe this play is sold out but find a way to go see it. Email the Peacock Theatre and ask them to bring it back! You won't regret it. I for one will be going to see this play again when it comes back to town. I'll definitely be dragging my girlfriends and my mum and sister for a girlie night out, but I will also be raving about this to the lads. My other half (who kindly won us the tickets! Yahoo!! Thanks boards!) loved every second of Little Gem too. Let me emphasise that he did not cry at any point during the play. Really! But he's still raving about it to anyone who'll listen. When you see it, you'll know why.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭edanto

I've just heard that Little Gem is coming back!!

Get your tickets while you can folks. Bring your family, and close ones, this play is a real joy.

Advertisement