Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

MGMT The Academy MARCH 20

• 22-02-2010 7:44pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭

MGMT are playing the academy on March 20 according to Irish Times
    Not up on ticketmaster yet

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 15,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Yea its on MCD.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 811 ✭✭✭mal1

SSSSHHHHH!! Keep it quiet:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭WithCheesePlease

I wouldn't waste your money - they're pretty crap live.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 esio trot

Just wondering if I can bring a friend who is under 18, I myself being 18?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

MGMT live?

Nah, couldn't be arsed. By all reports they're still trying to learn their instruments.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭powerfade

Well just got 2..........psyched

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭saeglopur

:mad: bah humbug. sold out in 10 seconds more like. god i hate ticketmaster

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭jaydigity

F@** that. Have been waiting, poised above my keyboard since before 9 and the page finally changed to tickets available, but there was no option to book them. I assumed everyone else was having the same problem, obviously not

I HATE TICKETMASTER

I got 2. Tried from work since the internet connection is really good here. Looking forward to it. Saw their brooklyn neighbours Yeasayer at the weekend and they were really impressive. All I want to hear is Kids and Time to Pretend, and then I'll be happy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Gunty

I hate ticketmaster too. I was waiting outside ticketmaster in Finglas since 8.45 this morning and the guy shows up at 9.30 and when he turns on the computer and says they are sold out he says "sorry". I wanted to punch his face in:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 283 ✭✭-TK^Creator

is it sold out already I can't seem to get any off ticketmaster website

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭BrandonFlowers

sold out in like 5 seconds!

i even tried bailing into sound cellar, was there for about half nine but no joy :mad:

bloody ticketmaster :mad::mad::mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭jaydigity

What's the latest time anyone here got tickets?
    If it sold out in a few seconds it's likely they're holding onto extra tickets

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,130 ✭✭✭✭Kiera

I wouldn't waste your money - they're pretty crap live.
    +1. They were awful at EP last year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 eeefa

How did I miss this??!
    I'm actually considering asking the lead singer's gf to try to get me in...if that's not too cheeky..can't believe I missed out on this!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 605 ✭✭✭foundry

I can't wait!

I got 2 on the phone at 8.59 my bf got 2 online at 9.01.

Kiera wrote: »
    +1. They were awful at EP last year.

In fairness, i wouldn't compare EP with the The Acedemy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,043 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Anyone know who the support act is?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭conno16

heard a rumour that it could be arcade fire

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,043 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Heh. I suppose they'll be handing out gold at the door as well?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭powerfade

conno16 wrote: »
    heard a rumour that it could be arcade fire

Ah conno16, renowned troll of the golf forum, good to see you spread it around.........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭conno16

there may be something to this rumour..

the fire are in dublin that week for a few days
    why not play a few chords

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

The next person that suggests the arcade fire are supporting mgmt are getting a years ban from this forum.

Who's excited?! :pac:
    Any idea on the support yet??????

I don't even know where to start in trying to describe last night.......Ok.....I'm going to try...here goes..........'Worst gig of my life'

That's the best i could do

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

mal1 wrote: »
    I don't even know where to start in trying to describe last night.......Ok.....I'm going to try...here goes..........'Worst gig of my life'

That's the best i could do

Elaborate please

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 technogoblin

Yeah it wasn't great to be fair, they never really lift it off the ground do they? the new stuff sounds decent enough but their crowd skills are wanting. they were better when i saw them at the ambassador a couple of years ago and even then they weren't all that good. and what the hell was that all about playing the instrumental of kids and just singing it? lazy or what? i was a bit peeved and i don't even like that song a whole lot. i reckon i'll only see them at festivals from now on, if at all. the songs are good, they just need to give it more. (like the guitarist who's not an official member, he was loving it!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Mr.S wrote: »
    I'd never seen MGMT live, so after read this wasn't expecting much.

But if you call what they did tonight, ****. Then you must be serious audiophiles.

I've never heard any good first hand stories from friends or bands who have seen them live. If you enjoyed it great, I wasn't there so can't comment.

• Advertisement

They need a little more practice when it comes to crowd interaction but then again I probably wouldn't have bothered either. A simple night lullaby would have sufficed for most of the adoring teenage crowd.They weren't exactly hard to please.

Both were lazy and the effort given during the older songs was an insult to anyone paying for a ticket. It's hard to judge the new songs but there's definitely a 60's vibe coming through. Pink Floyd comes to mind. Most definitely when I heard the mention of a 12 minute song. There's definitely going to be a marked difference in the direction of their music.

The night was nicely topped off with vomiting teenage fans being dragged out of the venue and a very sloppy karaoke version of 'Kids'. Not my idea of a good gig but then again you can't blame the lads for their fans and the fact that they are bored $hitle$$ of playing Oracular Spectacular.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 technogoblin

mal1 wrote: »
    They need a little more practice when it comes to crowd interaction but then again I probably wouldn't have bothered either. A simple night lullaby would have sufficed for most of the adoring teenage crowd.They weren't exactly hard to please.

Both were lazy and the effort given during the older songs was an insult to anyone paying for a ticket. It's hard to judge the new songs but there's definitely a 60's vibe coming through. Pink Floyd comes to mind. Most definitely when I heard the mention of a 12 minute song. There's definitely going to be a marked difference in the direction of their music.

The night was nicely topped off with vomiting teenage fans being dragged out of the venue and a very sloppy karaoke version of 'Kids'. Not my idea of a good gig but then again you can't blame the lads for their fans and the fact that they are bored $hitle$$ of playing Oracular Spectacular.
    Agree with most of what you said there, though i find it hard to feel sorry for their boredom playing Oracular Spectacular. To be honest I wanted to go to hear the new stuff, and aside from the fact Kids is a karaoke's dream, to throw a bloody turtle around on stage and look embarrassed singing it is pretty poor. They left it out of the set in london (to boos from the crowd) and fair play, imo it's a horribly overrated song, but if you're gonna do it, do it properly. It marked the end of what was otherwise an alright gig, but nothing out of the ordinary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,027 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

I wasn't at this gig but saw them at last year's EP. It confirmed all I had seen of them on TV and heard from people first hand, awful, awful live band. Yet people still lap up the gig tickets in seconds to see them, it must be the little fan girls that fancy them or older foggies that don't realise how bad they are live.

State gave the gig a good review so I'm delighted to see the feedback here matching what I expected.

Karaoke Kids is pathetic, who in their right mind thought that would be a good idea?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭jonny oxford

Scien wrote: »
    One of the poorest gigs I've ever been to aswell. Far too much new stuff for my liking. Fair enough with bands trying out 2 or 3 new songs but 6 or 7 is a bit much.
    They couldn't hold the attention of anyone. It was more like a nightclub in there with people walking around and chatting.

To add insult to injury they didn't even play The Handshake.
    Last time I'll pay to see them.

I was left somewhat disappointed by the gig as well, the majority of the crowd seemed completely disinterested in the new songs and were there only for the singles.

I suppose that's fair enough they paid the ticket price too, but for me it really lacked the atmosphere I had hoped for.

I was disappointed they left out The Handshake, great song that sums up the real essence of the band for me, but hey what can you do!

I would go see them again when they are touring their new album (which I think, sounds promising) and people are familiar with the songs.

I think the band is very bored of playing the some of the old songs and almost seem to resent them.

I hope they return soon when we have had a chance to listen to Congratulations properly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,027 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

I think the band is very bored of playing the some of the old songs and almost seem to resent them.

Go look up youtube vids of them when they fisrt came around touring and appearing on tv shows promoting the album, they always looked bored.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭jonny oxford

Go look up youtube vids of them when they fisrt came around touring and appearing on tv shows promoting the album, they always looked bored.

I've seen them live before and there was, in my opinion, a different vibe this time.

I was left somewhat disappointed by the gig as well, the majority of the crowd seemed completely disinterested in the new songs and were there only for the singles.

I suppose that's fair enough they paid the ticket price too, but for me it really lacked the atmosphere I had hoped for.

Exactly, when they started playing 'Time to Pretend', a load of girls who were drinking and chatting at the bar started to try and push their way through crowd. I wanted to punch them but it wasn't really appropriate.

Everyone started chatting during the new songs whenever they started to get slightly bored.

I was kind of expecting the poor performance after reading numerous bad reviews in the past. I'll listen to my peers in the future and avoid potholes like MGMT.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

The reviews are not filling me with much anticipation for when I see them in the summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 717 ✭✭✭RolandGoose

Just My Two Cents........

Seen MGMT at Electric Picnic 2 years ago and they were awful!!!

Check out the review in the Independent. I'll quote the last sentence of the review: 'Shame on them'. Sums up the night for me.

http://www.independent.ie/entertainment/going-out/review-mgmt-acadmey-dublin-2106810.html

• Advertisement

I have to say I enjoyed the gig!! :D

There was a lot of new songs (maybe too much) but that was the point of their mini tour.

The crowd was v dry and only got involved for "Time To Pretend" and "Kids" which I nearly got trampled on might I add.

Overall I thought it was great.

EVERY1 to their own...

Advertisement