Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Revised Boards.ie Terms Of Use, due to go live March 1, 2010

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Boston wrote: »
    Yea I read that. I'm no legal expert, but thats doesn't seem like the type of thing which has any legal standing. Implicit acceptance of terms and conditions when theres no way of ensuring you're aware that the terms even exist.

A quick count shows that only a couple thousand hits on the terms of use. Obviously the vast majority of users are unaware of them
    By registering with us or using or browsing Boards.ie, you acknowledge that you have read, understood, and agree to be bound by these Terms of Use. If you do not agree you may not use Boards.ie.

Seems straight forward to me?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Seems straight forward to me?

I'd suggest you have a think about the implications so. Registration is fine, you have to agree to the terms before proceeding. However, suppose there is some issue in the future which requires the administration to fall back on the terms of use to defend their position (A likely scenario, otherwise why have them) whats to stop a user saying they were never made aware of the terms of use and thus never accepted them?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Boston wrote: »
    I'd suggest you have a think about the implications so. Registration is fine, you have to agree to the terms before proceeding. However, suppose there is some issue in the future which requires the administration to fall back on the terms of use to defend their position (A likely scenario, otherwise why have them) whats to stop a user saying they were never made aware of the terms of use and thus never accepted them?
    I take your point but like you I am no legal expert but when you register you agree to the terms of conditions and I have never read them so I could be wrong about this but there must be a clause that say the are subject to change. So you agreeing at registration that you agree to the terms and/or any changes.

As I say I could be wrong about the clause but that's my interpretation.

I recall a course coordinator getting a document drawn up which stated that neither he nor the university was liable for any accident which took place as part of the lab work. He then got the students to sign it. A very legal sounding and clever document. Also not legally binding in the least since you cannot sign away future liability.

I'd question what legal standing, if any, a clause like "while browsing the site, you agree to blah" has when you can't even demonstrate that the user had the oppertunity to read that clause.

Well they can. The first thread you see when you log on or even just visit the site is the revision to Boards.ie Terms of Use. Also, if you didn't see that and you clicked into a forum you will see the announcement as well. It's up to you to read it. Boards then are in a position to say, we put announcements on the main page and also at the top of every fora. If the user doesn't read it that's not Boards issue - they notified you of the changes and you didn't read them.

• Advertisement

I've the main page set up not to see announcements and I haven't logged within the time frame that the announcement was at the top of the page. What now?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Boston, I agree with what you are asking and have sort-of asked the same thing above.

I guess the line will be that there is no (and never was any) "right" to use this site so it's up to the individual to keep themselves current on what is and isn't allowed.

The spirit of the TOU is a fair one which ultimately boils down to "don't be an ass".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

thats done Darragh. Appreciate that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 __

Happy to go with the new T&C's but as far as I am concerned my old account didn't sign up to them. I may at some stage want all my old account posts deleted and you can do nothing about it as per your T&C's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

__ wrote: »
    Happy to go with the new T&C's but as far as I am concerned my old account didn't sign up to them. I may at some stage want all my old account posts deleted and you can do nothing about it as per your T&C's.
    no name. what gives?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,317 ✭✭✭✭Esel

*dons poofreading (sick) hat

Noticed the following typos:

Materal

best display – for different browsers

The license you grant (noun, should be 'licence')

royalty free (s/b hyphenated?)

sub-licensable sub-licenseable (both appear, one must be wrong?)

Re: Official Representatives and "Talk to..." Forums:

You agree: maybe should read "By becoming an Official Representative, you agree:"

Just a swift read-over at this late hour; did not scan boilerplate.

Also, I wonder if Adverts.ie use is adequately covered by the various disclaimers etc.? Most of them mention Boards.ie only. (IANAL).

Not your ornery onager

Advertisement