Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kennel Cough

Options
  • 22-02-2010 8:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

Quick question cos my internet connection isnt great at the minute so cant go searching online..

Our new dog - Ozzie has kennel cough. Had him at the vets today got injections and on antibiotis starting tomorrow for 5 days but his cough is very bad. Is there anything I can do to sooth his throat, help his cough?

Have just given him natural yougart but anything else?

Thanks in advance..

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭cucoigcrice

Unfortunately kennel cough is a horrible thing for a dog to pick up. My boss suggests that people give honey and lemon etc. We have heard that Manuka honey is fantasic so maybe try it and lemon, basically what yowould take yourself. t can take to 6 weeks for the dog to completely get rid of the cough so make sure you give him/her the full course of antibiotics. Do u mind me asking the name of the antibiotic.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

Thanks for that, I will head off soon and get honey. Will the yogart help? Are you a vet/vet nurse?

Its called Ronaxan 100mg. half tablet starting tomorrow for 6 days. He is only 4kilos..

Natural yoghurt would be more benefical for the stomach more so than kennel cough. Ah rite i have heard of the tablets before. Yeah i nearlyqualified vet nurse thank god, well fingers crossed the exams will go well :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭Cutie18Ireland

Our Bichon Casper had kennel cough and was on one table of ronaxan a day. He seemed to get much worse in the end turned out that he was allergic to the Ronaxan and he was after getting injections of it too. Its a horrible sound when they are coughing especially after hearing it for weeks. Casper is fine now once the ronaxan stopped he got a pink antibiotic and ended up on that for 3 weeks before he was all better. So just keep an eye on your fella :) We never thought it was the tablet.

Not all dogs are allergic to these tablets its like on person finding out they are allergic to penicillin. But yeah diefiately keep an eye opened

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

Human cough syrup, for dry coughs and preferably sugar free - just make sure it doesn't contain xylatol, works very well for easing their cough and throat. Because your dog is so small, maybe 1/2 a teaspoon twice a day should do the trick. I have had numerous dogs with KC (from Ashton) and this works a treat. Manuke honey has also been recommended to me but I have never used it so can't comment. Your vet could also recommend something OTC that could help. Don't be too alarmed if your dog is still coughing a while after the antibiotics have been finished - they can still have the dry, hacking cough for up to a few weeks later. If, however, your dog is still coughing up goo or still has a very severe cough you may need to bring him back to the vet just to make sure everything is ok, he might just need another dose of antibiotics to get him totally clear.

Also, because KC is so contagious, please be sure to wash all his bedding on a 60 deg wash with biological washing powder to get it out of his bedding. And use bleach (chlorine based) to clean up where he has been coughing (rinse well and allow to dry before the dog walks on it again). If any other dogs enter your house while there are traces of KC around they will pick it up, even if your own chap is better.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Allgäuerin

never give dairy products like yogurt in connection with antibiotics!!!!!:mad:
    "a chemical reaction (chelation) occurs in the gastrointestinal tract and the antibiotic can not be absorbed into the blood stream, which is necessary for it to work"

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Barack Obama

TillyGirl wrote: »
    Hi All,

Quick question cos my internet connection isnt great at the minute so cant go searching online..

Our new dog - Ozzie has kennel cough. Had him at the vets today got injections and on antibiotis starting tomorrow for 5 days but his cough is very bad. Is there anything I can do to sooth his throat, help his cough?

Have just given him natural yougart but anything else?

Thanks in advance..

Can I ask if you know how your dog picked it up. Was he inoculated against it?

We're leaving our dog in a kennel for the first time next week so I just want to get any info I can. Thanks

i guess the dog picked it up in ashton pound/dublin because tillygirl got her dog from there, and most dogs from there unfortunately have it!:(

Natural yoghurt would be more benefical for the stomach more so than kennel cough. Ah rite i have heard of the tablets before. Yeah i nearlyqualified vet nurse thank god, well fingers crossed the exams will go well :o

Well thanks for the information, I would love to do vet nursing but I done woodwork instead of science in school :rolleyes:
    Human cough syrup, for dry coughs and preferably sugar free - just make sure it doesn't contain xylatol, works very well for easing their cough and throat.

Ya I forgot to say the vet told me this, I gave him half teaspoon last night and again this morning.
    never give dairy products like yogurt in connection with antibiotics!!!!!:mad:
    "a chemical reaction (chelation) occurs in the gastrointestinal tract and the antibiotic can not be absorbed into the blood stream, which is necessary for it to work"

Thanks for that, I didnt realise, wont be giving it to him again.
    Can I ask if you know how your dog picked it up.

He was in Ashton pound for 6 days before we got him, we got him last Wednesday he was in the pound since the Friday before and his symptoms only started last Sunday morning.

All you can do it make sure your dog is vaccinated and that the kennel insists on that for all dogs going into them. As far as I know they can still pick it up but thats your best bet. Good luck :D

• Advertisement

i guess the dog picked it up in ashton pound/dublin because tillygirl got her dog from there, and most dogs from there unfortunately have it!:(

Correct!

You very welcome. I didt know it until a GP told me that. Best wishes for your little handsome doggie!:)

You very welcome. I didt know it until a GP told me that. Best wishes for your little handsome doggie!:)

thanks! he is very cute!

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭Howitzer

our 5mth boxer Bella is just over her dose of kennel cough. She was on antibiotics 3 times a day. I gave her honey in warm water and think it went well. It's a rotten thing to get.

Should be renamed from Kennel cough to make people aware that kennels aren't the only place they can get it.

OP hope your one gets better soon.

hey thanks for all the advice, glad to say he is much better today. he has only coughed once since I got home whereas yesterday he was coughing constantly.

yea!!:D

Advertisement