Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

March 2010 Boards forecast contest

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Daily data page not updating on the met eireann site this morning so all figures are up the midnight 5th rather than up to midnight last.

March mean temp of our 5 met stations up to the 5th standing at 2.8c, which is 3.3c below the 61-90 normal, so the opening days of March holding onto the cool temps of the preceding winter months.

Update on the annual mean temp trend:

106935.jpg

Despite a very slight rise in the annual mean over the last week, we are no where near normal yet. This time last year, the annual mean of our 5 met stations was standing at 4.68c, which was close to the 61-90 normal. This year's figure of 2.22c is still over 2.0c below the norm. The coming 7 days should push up this figure though, but by how much?

Tune in next week to this gripping saga to find out! :pac::P

A brief look at daily max temp averages from the now ceased Birr synoptic station for March:

106936.jpg

This data from Birr is a good guide as to what to expect, give or take a couple of decimals, on a daily basis regarding daily maxima during March (data based on the 61-90 average), at any of the 5 met stations used in the competition analysis.

The above chart is interesting. It shows nicely that while there is an obvious upwards trend in mean max temps during March, the rise is not linear, with many ups and downs during the middle section of the month before we see a more sharp upwards trend toward the final few days.

Here are a few stats from that legendary met eireann weather station regarding mean maximum temps during March (based within 61-90 period)

Highest March Daily Max Temperature: 19.7c on the 28th March 1965.
    Lowest March Daily Max Temperature: 1.9c on the 1st March 1965

Highest March Mean Monthly Max: 12.3c (+2.5c) in 1961
    Lowest March Mean Monthly Max: 8.0c (-1.8c) in 1962

All data c/o Met Eireann

• Registered Users Posts: 14,516 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Here's a progress report for the first seven days of the month:

mean temp (five stations) 2.9 C

rainfall (all Ireland) 20% of normal

sunshine (all Ireland) 196% of normal

We can assume that these will all converge on normal values to some extent ... but all three will be challenged to change their current anomaly sign (at some point, sunshine cannot in any case).

To reach a totally average outcome, and assuming that similar conditions to 1-7 March prevail through the 10th, the last two-thirds of the month will need to average about 2 degrees above normal, 40% above normal rainfall, and less than half the usual daily sunshine, just to get to normal for the month.

It was interesting to note in DE's post that the coldest and warmest March day at Birr were recorded in the same month (1965) -- could this be a similar pattern? What was the coldest minimum in that period?

It was interesting to note in DE's post that the coldest and warmest March day at Birr were recorded in the same month (1965) -- could this be a similar pattern? What was the coldest minimum in that period?

Yes, March 1965 was noted for its wild extremes across both Ireland and the UK. Very cold start to very warm finish.

A couple of stats regarding mean min figures recorded at Birr within the 61-90 time series during the month of March:

Lowest March mean min: 0.0c (1962)
    Highest March mean min: 5.5c (1990)

Lowest daily min temp: -10.5c :eek: (2nd March 1965)
    Highest daily min temp: 10.9c (11th March 1981)

Just to put extremes of March 1965 into a little more detail.

Chart graphing daily max/min during that month at Birr:

107135.jpg

Low of -10.5c at the start of the month, rising to 19.7c in the last week. That is a diurnal range of 30c throughout the entire month! :eek:

Chart for the 2nd March 1965, the date when -10.5c was recorded at Birr:

Rrea00119650302.gif

a direct Arctic feed. I reckon there must have been some snow cover involved in this as well.

Chart for 28th March 1965, the date when 19.7c was reached:

Rrea00119650328.gif

a moist, stable SSW flow over Ireland. Probably would have brought a lot of low cloud in general but where breaks occurred, temps would have shot up, as it obviously did at Birr! :)

According to the NCEP, the 365 day period up to the 6th March 2010, temp anomalies are now tending towards near average across Ireland:

Sample:

107136.gif

Claremorris mean departure figure at +0.04c.

other values include Mullingar: -0.18c / Shannon Apt: -0.25c / Dublin Apt: -0.48c / Valentia +0.17c / Belfast Aldergrove: +0.38c.

I would say it is a very, very long time since those figures were achieved!

• Advertisement

Lowest for the month at least -7.3 C, the min reported for Dublin on Monday the 8th, and Gurteen currently at -7 C at 0600h 9th.

For that month of March 1965, I recall it being quite cold in the Great Lakes region where I was then living (and recording the weather as a high school student) ... there was a period of somewhat mild easterly flow when you were having that cold spell, then the rest of the month was colder than average by about 3-4 F deg, with snow at times and almost no rain.

Seems like raging zonality was not a big problem in the spring of 1965. :D

Edit the above to read -7.7 C (Ballyhaise) as being at least the lowest seen by me, perhaps I missed something lower.

After ten days, the sunshine now stands at well over 200% since 4-10 has averaged 258% of normal. Rainfall has dropped slightly to about 15% of normal. It continues to run about 3 degrees below normal. These are probably extremes that will now be starting points on a slow trek towards more normal values ... but they may leave an imprint on the monthly final values, we shall see.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Wait till the raging Northwesterlies kick in with snow showers in the second last week of the month - some thunder showers too. Then more HP and milder for month's end.

Up to midnight last (the 13th), the March combined mean temp of our 5 centrally located met eireann stations is standing at 3.2c, which is around 2.5c below the normal for the period. This figure is expected to rise, significantly, over the next 7 days.

Chart showing mean min temps for the month so far for the 5 met stations used in the competition:

107592.jpg

The mean rainfall total of the 5 met stations for this month is currently standing at a shocking 4.2mm, which is just around 12% of what would be normally received in the first 13 day of the month! and interestingly, all of that rain fell in Shannon Airport and Claremorris, with the other 3 met stations used in our analysis recording no rainfall at all this month so far :eek:

On to the annual mean update, and at last, the mean for this year is beginning to show signs of rising a little. Here is how it looks on the graph up to the 13th:

107593.jpg

Current values at 2.35c, which is still 2.6c cooler than at this point last year. Up to the 13th March 2009, the value stood at exactly 5.00c, which is close to, or very marginally above, what would be expected in the 61-90 average. The following 7 days in 2009 saw a further increase in daily means, with temps reaching 16c/17c by day, contributing to a 7 day mean of 8.4c; the next 7 days this year will probably have a similar overall mean, although max temps are unlikely to be as high as what was recorded in the same period last year. Whether or not, we should start to see that almost flattened 2010 mean temp line start to buckle significantly upwards this week.

Will post up another report next week to let y'all know the shhhtory! :)

All data & stats c/o Met Eireann

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

Just out of interest, anyone know the highest temp recorded so far this month???

I know the final figure will be much higher but twould be nice to know . . .;)

• Advertisement

Shannon Airport, Johnstown Castle, Dublin Airport, Claremorris and Ballyhaise all got 12c today, now these "12s" could range anywhere between 11.5c and 12.4c.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

Danno wrote: »
    Because the temp at 1400 was 12.0C, 1500 11.8C but sometime in between hours the max of 12.5C was reached.
    The hourly obs don't report the max temp.

Just looked at the data for March 8-14, and integrating with the report on the first seven days, we have:

mean temp to date 3.3 C

Rainfall to date 11%

Sunshine to date 190%

These are apparently all about to change towards more normal values, so no need to panic yet.

It would now have to remain cloudy almost all the time to achieve any sunshine value below 100% of normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭Joe Public

I'll have to get my crystal ball recalibrated as I was a day early with the St Patrick's day temp. It got up to around 15C in Dublin.

The official high was listed as 14.3 C ... oddly enough there were no guesses in the 13s or the 14s from our 23 forecasters. Closest was Dasa29 at 15.0 C.

I really need a phenomenally wet rest of March to reach my guess of 189%. Current value stands at 10%!!!!. :pac:

March mean value of our 5 met eireann stations standing at 4.7c as of midnight last (the 20th). This is 1.3c below normal for the period, although this is more on the strength of the still below average minima; mean max temps for the month so far are actually hovering close to average. A further rise is expected in this value over the next 7 days.

Looking at the latest annual mean graph for the 5 stations used:

108192.jpg

we can see that the annual mean is at last beginning to rise, although given that we are now well established into the year, it will still take a number of weeks for this value to reach near normal levels. As it stands, the current year's value is still around 2.0c below normal, while at this stage last year, the value of 5.31c was a little above the 61-90 norm for the year.

The following 7 days looks to bring around average temperatures over Ireland with any frost being confined to well sheltered inland locations with an increasing risk of rain or showers at times which will be welcome as only 31% of normal rainfall has fallen this month over the 5 met station area to date.

How it is looking for the coming midweek period:

108191.jpg

Data & Image Sources: Met Eireann / ECMWF

Fairly substantial changes have occurred in the monthly values over the past seven days. Following are the updated running values after the 21st with the most recent seven-day values in brackets.

Mean temp 4.9 C (8.0 C)

Rainfall to date 33% (78%)

Sunshine to date 154% (82%)

Based on the current forecast maps, I estimate the mean temp may end up close to or a little above 6.0, the rainfall could push up towards 80% (it would now take about 235% of normal in the last ten days to reach a monthly normal value), and sunshine seems likely to fall off again but should stay above 135%, even a very dull 50% in the last ten days would yield a monthly average of about 120% and no further sunshine at all would leave this value at 104%.

The highest reading I have spotted so far is 14.8 but I may have missed something a bit higher. I'm pretty sure the lowest was -7.7 or lower (one reading from Dublin was not available when I looked for it during the cold spell earlier).

I'm not too sure if anything outside those values will occur in this pattern, at least the low is probably set.

I'm forecasting a cold final week to hold the mean down.

• Advertisement

You may be right, Joe, the mean could level off in the 5.5 to 6.0 range, we shall see. I figure it has now drifted up to 5.2 C as of end of today, just a guestimate though. Taking the numbers now in play, it should drift up slowly towards 5.7 then stall. Plenty of rain in the forecast, that big deficit is going to be eroded considerably, methinks.

I will post the April contest in a day or two, and the bonus question will be about Easter Sunday (the 4th), so an actual test of your real-time forecast skills for a change.

I figure it has now drifted up to 5.2 C as of end of today, just a guestimate though.

Actually on 5.0c M.T, at least within our 5 met station zone.

As we know March came in like a lamb so it is due to go out like a lion.

You may be right, Joe, the mean could level off in the 5.5 to 6.0 range, we shall see. I figure it has now drifted up to 5.2 C as of end of today, just a guestimate though. Taking the numbers now in play, it should drift up slowly towards 5.7 then stall. Plenty of rain in the forecast, that big deficit is going to be eroded considerably, methinks.

I will post the April contest in a day or two, and the bonus question will be about Easter Sunday (the 4th), so an actual test of your real-time forecast skills for a change.

If I guess in real time it could be suspect, so I'll take a stab at it now. Usually when March ends as a lion it then clears up nicely and we get a spell of fine weather before the April showers kick in. I'll preempt your question and guess you'll ask "how many hours of sunshine will there be at Mullingar on Easter Sunday" and the answer is 11.6

Hard to make a judgment call on this but I would guess that the final mean temp figure will somewhere close to the consensus figure, or maybe just a little below. Hard to tell at this stage though.

Up to the 27th, the March monthly combined mean of our 5 met eireann stations is standing at 5.7c, this 0.4c below normal for the period:

Chart graphing the daily combined mean temp of the 5 central met stations with monthly mean progress included:

108952.jpg

The finishing figure will probably work out the same as this, or perhaps a little below with the final few days of March looking to be slightly cooler than average.

On to the annual mean, here is how it is looking up to midnight last (the 27th March):

108953.jpg

The last 7 days proved to be warmer than average with a 7 day mean of around 8.0c; this resulted in a sharp rise in the 5 station annual mean. For the first time this year, the figure surpassed the 3.0c mark!

As the chart indicates, we are still around 2.0c cooler than this time last year, which at this stage, was actually around 0.3c warmer than the 61-90 norm.

The rise will continue over the following week although with some cooler than average days forecast over the next few days it may be a slower rise than last week. We shall see! :)

Data Source: Met Eireann

1 day left and it looks like those who guessed closest to the mean temp this month will be any of the following members:

nacho libre
    jdburkedjburke
    hellboy99
    dasa29

Either of these guys could run away with it, although there is a chance either of them could be just 0.1c out as well :D

All will be revealed tomorrow! :)

M.T will have all the stats later on but regarding the final combined mean temp for March of the 5 central met eireann stations, it finished at 5.5c, which is a little below the 61-90 normal. Mean maxima was close to or a little above normal at all of the 5 stations by a mean of 0.2c, while mean minima was below by 1.5c. Mean minima at Mullingar for March for example was just 0.1c. :eek:

Hellboy, who pick 5.6c guessed the closest. M.T, can I suggest you give him full marks as the final figure of 5.54c had Hellboy out by just 0.01c. :o

Bar chart of final max/mean temp figures at our 5 met station used in the competition:

109471.jpg

:)

Here are the rest of the stats.

The monthly max was only 14.7 C at Shannon on the 18th.

The monthly min was -7.7 C at Ballyhaise on the 8th.

Rainfall made a huge rally to finish at 102%, and the credit or blame for that goes mainly to the rainstorm that hit on the 29th-30th which from my estimate pushed this value from 70% to 102% -- most of us thank you very much rainstorm for that last-minute deliverance. The general public, not so much. I noted that the west coast was relatively dry, Belmullet had 60% of its normal.

The monthly sunshine average was a huge 147% for six stations, but of course that was about as low as it could have been after the 200% mark was exceeded near mid-month. It was the sunniest March since 2004 at various stations.

As mentioned earlier the max on the 17th at Dublin was 14.3 C.

Since I won't have much time to score this month today, look for the results then some time later on the 2nd.

A reminder -- you now have six hours left to enter the April contest without penalty.

• Advertisement

The general public, not so much. I noted that the west coast was relatively dry, Belmullet had 60% of its normal.

This is one of my pet gripes. While Belmullet may have had only 60% of its normal rainfall this month, it was still one of the wettest places in the country, like most of the western seaboard; this month, with nearly twice as much rainfall falling there as on the eastern seaboard.

%'s do not tell the full story. Very often, even in the Monthly Weather Bulletin, we have headlines like "Another very wet month in the East", yet when you look the actual figures, the west is almost always much wetter. Obviously percentage of average based, which is fair enough, but %'s mean very little to those that actually experience the rain in all its glory.

Advertisement