Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donegal not to have any representation in New York for St. Patricks day!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭Beez Neez

Correct me if I'm wrong but saying that he'll get it back in expenses is incorrect ! That's the point - he is paying for it himself He won't be claiming expenses Hope other Councils take note!!

• Registered Users Posts: 46,095 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Beez Neez wrote: »
    Correct me if I'm wrong but saying that he'll get it back in expenses is incorrect ! That's the point - he is paying for it himself He won't be claiming expenses Hope other Councils take note!!
    I dont believe there is a maximum limit on the expenses. Oh I would imagine he will recoup a large part of (if not all) his out of pocket expenses.

Two little points on this topic.

1. Can anyone show us what previous junkets have achieved for the County?

2. In previous years there would have been a traveling party of anything up to 20 people (including spouses/partners) so don't for a minute believe all you read from press releases.

Has the FAS debacle not taught us anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 20 lalalots

well some of thr resarve army will be marching in the new york parrade this year,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭North_West_Art

if anything can be achieved for Donegal, out of such a trip... then well and good... question is, what can be achieved?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Domscard

muffler wrote: »
    1. Can anyone show us what previous junkets have achieved for the County?

This would be my question exactly. We need evidence for the return on our money and I honestly don't believe there is any. It's the right time for celebrating our national holiday at home and spending our money here IMO ... it makes cents!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭the_dark_side

LoanShark wrote: »
    http://oceanfm.ie/news/2010/02/22/council-votes-to-cancel-st-patricks-day-trip/

For as much as I loath our County Mayor, I am still of firm belief that all oppertunities to promote our county should be taken advantage off.

I know he has said he'll pay for it himself, But he'll get it back in expenses..

I'd sooner have Bernard McHugh represent Donegal in NY, than any of that shower... they DO NOT represent me, nor do they represent 90% of the rest of us... who the hell do they think they are appointing themselves to go to NY and represent Donegal... in fact, I would be embarrased if any of that crowd stood up and spoke to represent Donegal Internationally

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

LoanShark wrote: »
    I am still of firm belief that all oppertunities to promote our county should be taken advantage off.

Send me to NY, i'll promote the hell out of Donegal, me getting drunk in a NY pub is about as much benefit to Donegal as sending any other "representative".

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭LoanShark

I was in Canada on Honeymoon, and watching the news on the TV, They did a coverage of the St patricks parade in Chicago and whos head appears on the screen only that of our beloved County Mayor!!!
    Thank God I was in the room because the profanities I shouted, would have got me thrown out of any bar that I was in when I saw it..

• Registered Users Posts: 40 169

The mayor gets an allowance of €43,000 for the year to carry out his duties and a salary of €17,000 from the Council so technically he is not paying for it himself

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭the_dark_side

I thought this might be relevant to the thread... Gift Grub did a sketch on St Patrick's Day ministerial visits abroad
    http://audioserver.todayfm.com/audio/breakfast/Gift_paddy2010.mp3

• Advertisement
Advertisement