Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

why have house prices not dropped in Galway?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭bills

Of course house prices have dropped in galway & by a huge amount in some areas & in oranmore. Sellers may be advertising as pre-recession prices but they dont have a hope of getting that price. Oranmore prices have dropped huge amounts too.
    However demand for certain "nice" areas mean they wont drop as much as other areas but they have still dropped.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

scully74 wrote: »
    I moved to Galway in mid 2009, i've been watching house prices, are developers nuts, they're still looking for 2006 prices, seen a house in oranmore unfinished for 545k. Whats going on!

if you have a job in Galway you can enjoy a good life. you have the sea, the hills and its not too big. people are still flocking to Galway because they love the laid back atmosphere. while it retains its popularity the prices will remain high.

Hi scully74. As someone not from Galway, but as one who has lived and worked, and run a business in Galway for years, I can tell you that there is a very complex series of cultural traits in the people of Galway, especially those from the city area, that are can explain why the house (and rent) prices have not significantly come down. The people in this part of the country seem to have this superiority complex when it comes to money, land, language, business and outsiders. In the years that I have lived here (ten) I have noticed that the greed in this part of the country is unsurpassed. Have you ever heard of The Tribes of Galway? They were a number of merchant families that ran the city and surroundings for years and were driven by trade and money. The city has maintained this material and familial attitude when it comes to dealing with its finances. They genuinely believe that they have the right to charge people as much as they want simply for living here. The landlords, and I have dealt with many over the years, feel justified in charging over the top prices for standard houses, apartments etc. They very often come from the business families that have for many decades (and centuries in the case of some families) had their own way in business with very little outside interference. Now I am not bashing every Galway person, I love this city, but you need to be aware of an undertone of greed in this part of the country. It has nothing to do with NAMA, Fianna Fail, Fine Gael, state economics etc. After ten years I know what Im talking about.

ouch!not entirely what you say. I am a native Galwegian but don't speak with a galway accent and will be treated differently as a result.i remember hiring a boat with a Dub once and the price came down when they realised I was native.
    there is a certain small town clannishness about the place which can work for or against you.

i would question the greed aspect. galwegians get away with it because people are not putting them under enough pressure.

John_Rambo wrote: »
    No. I find it a little insular and unwelcoming outside the tourist traps to be honest. The outskirts are worse, (this is after all the Galway County forum). I find Dublin, Cork, even Belfast to be more cosmopolitan. Great city, don't get me wrong, just not as cosmopolitan as you think it is. I can see exactly where ConnachtRanger1 is coming from. I see that attitude all the time in Galway that is far from friendly, and a bit aloof! I have friends from Dublin living in Galway for years and still get the sly comments, that doesn't happen to Galway people who are welcomed to Dublin or Cork unless it's about sport.

Dubs look down on people from the west. not as much as they used to, but its still there.they seem to regard dublin as being the centre of the universe. i lived in ifferent of dublin and wouldn't say tehy were either friendly or unfriendly, but definitely closer to england in their outlook.

galway is more cosmopolitan than other places, say Athlone.

i wouldn't say we are aloof, just sick and tired of tourists with the same tales and itineraries.

ScumLord wrote: »
    I know people that are renting houses for €300 a month. The houses where being rented for between €450 and €600 when my friends where living in them 3 years ago.

yeah from a friend i.e housitting or somewhere 'down the country'

• Advertisement

johnny1234 wrote: »
    Basically people selling think they are the smartest people in the world and do not realise how difficult things are. If you find a house and like it make an offer what you think it is worth. And I will give you good odds that you will find a house at the tight price.

cutehoorism is what it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭SparKing

Where in Galway would you get a three bedroom house for €300 pm?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭tred

Hi scully74. As someone not from Galway, but as one who has lived and worked, and run a business in Galway for years, I can tell you that there is a very complex series of cultural traits in the people of Galway, especially those from the city area, that are can explain why the house (and rent) prices have not significantly come down. The people in this part of the country seem to have this superiority complex when it comes to money, land, language, business and outsiders. In the years that I have lived here (ten) I have noticed that the greed in this part of the country is unsurpassed. Have you ever heard of The Tribes of Galway? They were a number of merchant families that ran the city and surroundings for years and were driven by trade and money. The city has maintained this material and familial attitude when it comes to dealing with its finances. They genuinely believe that they have the right to charge people as much as they want simply for living here. The landlords, and I have dealt with many over the years, feel justified in charging over the top prices for standard houses, apartments etc. They very often come from the business families that have for many decades (and centuries in the case of some families) had their own way in business with very little outside interference. Now I am not bashing every Galway person, I love this city, but you need to be aware of an undertone of greed in this part of the country. It has nothing to do with NAMA, Fianna Fail, Fine Gael, state economics etc. After ten years I know what Im talking about.

How can you spout crap like this. Have you lived anywhere else. Is your analysis based on any comparisons???. Bloody country went this way, de regulation, banks...auctioneers, just to educate you, they also exist in the other countys of ireland. Ah if we bother you so much move on......:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 johnny1234

Hate to tell you tred, but he is 100% correct. And your post just adds credence to the point. I don't think any of us require education, but some people just need to learn some manners and to lose the parochial attitude. Finally it does not exist in all the other counties -- maybe some not all.:(
    tred wrote: »
    How can you spout crap like this. Have you lived anywhere else. Is your analysis based on any comparisons???. Bloody country went this way, de regulation, banks...auctioneers, just to educate you, they also exist in the other countys of ireland. Ah if we bother you so much move on......:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,685 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Fuinseog wrote: »
    Dubs look down on people from the west.

They don't, stop being paranoid.
    Fuinseog wrote: »
    i wouldn't say we are aloof, just sick and tired of tourists with the same tales and itineraries.

Thanks, you proved my point. ;) You see, Dublin has way more tourists than Galway and we treat them well. Look at page seven in the Irish Times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭mossfort

johnny1234 wrote: »
    Hate to tell you tred, but he is 100% correct. And your post just adds credence to the point. I don't think any of us require education, but some people just need to learn some manners and to lose the parochial attitude. Finally it does not exist in all the other counties -- maybe some not all.:(

galway is no different to any other county in ireland in attitude towards people who move there. there are greedy people everywhere you go so the notion that galway people are ripping off non galwegians in rental prices is nonsense. the reason rents are high is because of demand.

mossfort wrote: »
    galway is no different to any other county in ireland in attitude towards people who move there

I will have to agree to disagree with you on that one mossfort. I find Dublin much much more welcoming to non natives. Cork isn't to bad, Belfast can be a bit suspicious, but Galway is the most unwelcoming.

Supply and demand.

Broadly people still want to live in or near the city which is keeping prices up.
    In further out county towns prices are falling faster.

Re the friendliness - for the city in winter about 1/4 of the population are students, maybe a similar amount in the summer are tourists.

If you hear a non local accent they are likely to only be here for a while so why put in the effort in getting to know people?

People don't seem to be fully accepted in the local community until their kids start going to school or they start playing with the local team or whatever.

If you hear a non local accent they are likely to only be here for a while so why put in the effort in getting to know people

Broaden your horizons? Open your mind?

Again, someone proves my point!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Webbs

Broaden your horizons? Open your mind?

Again, someone proves my point!!

Its a bit ridiculous in my mind trying to compare somewhere like Dublin (pop 1million) to Galway (pop 80k).
    A large city like Dublin has a large transient working population as is the case with all large cities and it has a sizeable population that is is not originally from Dublin. The dynamics are completely different so is really a chalk and cheese comparison.

Webbs wrote: »
    A large city like Dublin has a large transient working population as is the case with all large cities and it has a sizeable population that is is not originally from Dublin. The dynamics are completely different so is really a chalk and cheese comparison.

Is that why you think Dublin is friendlier?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Webbs

Is that why you think Dublin is friendlier?

I dont think it is.
    I think that it is always difficult to find 'friends' within a circle of people who still live in the area that they have been brought up in. Galway has a lot of people in this category, 'outsiders' would be a smaller percentage here than a larger city like Dublin.

I am not from Galway by the way and yes it has taken a while to get to know people, but it is what I expected and would probably have been harder in somewhere like Dublin. At least in galway if you get to know people there is a good chance of bumping into them.

An argument about which is friendlier etc is a bit daft as it is down to the individual and their circumstances

I see where you are coming from. I sense a sort of suspicion and unfriendliness in some pubs and areas in Galway county. Maybe they are just not used to strangers, they should cop in.

Advertisement