Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

remove a block from chimney breast

• 22-02-2010 9:38pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭

Planning to mount a hole in wall fire and flatscreen on chimney breast. Fire needs to be recessed, so going to make a stud, attach to existing breast, cover with plasterboard, get skimmed and painted.

The fire needs to be recessed 150mm, so will use 8x2 to make frame, so frame will be 8' deep.

Above the wall mounted TV and fire will have an aperture or open shelf built into stud. In that will ne NTL box, wii other bits an pieces.

prob is need to get a sorround sound box into the open shelf. Prob is sorround sound box is 12inches deep. Do not want to build stud out 12', so hoping to remove a block from the existing chimney breast, where the sorround sound box will sit on shelf, giving the depth needed, just for sorround sound box

My question is < I've been told there is sand inside the chimney breast, not sure why, insulation perhaps. If I remove a block will sand pour out.
    Forgot to say the breast is approx 5foot wide the existing flue (which wont be used again) is on the RHS of breast (not centred). if i remove a block from LHS am i safe enuf

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Martron

the chimney breast is a structural part of the house and i would be reluctant to fiddle with it for the sake of a surround sound box.

if you are studding the wall anyway perhaps you can run all the wires to a cabinet at the side of the fire place to avoid all this?

Advertisement