Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** Game Awards - Time to Vote **

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

I was looking for the Call of Duty soundtracks (MW and MW2) but they weren't there sadly. :)
    But well done for encompassing a whole decade of games in, god job imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I just had a quick look at the results so far....
    After about 16 hours, we are almost up to the total number of responses from last year. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Have to say, I know its down to the users, but what the hell.

Most of those options I didnt even vote for because they were so tripe.

Arma II just popped up in game of the year, even though it was the biggest buggiest load of hype.

Some very poor stuff in there, shame on you all! :)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

TheDoc wrote: »
    Have to say, I know its down to the users, but what the hell.

Most of those options I didnt even vote for because they were so tripe.

Arma II just popped up in game of the year, even though it was the biggest buggiest load of hype.

Some very poor stuff in there, shame on you all! :)

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=64605094&postcount=31

Mr E wrote: »
    I just had a quick look at the results so far....
    After about 16 hours, we are almost up to the total number of responses from last year. :)

Aaaand we've just passed it. Shows how much this community has grown in the last year. We had 84 responses last year (after the survey was open for a week) and we've just hit 85 in less than 24 hours this year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭death1234567

I have a feeling GTA:Vice City will clean up in every category its in!
    Its got my vote...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,435 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I hope GTA Vice City doesn't win any game off the decade awards. It's good but as a total package once you step out of the car the game is a bit crap, I couldn't give it any best of decade awards. Also I hoep to god it doesn't win best soundtrack of the decade (can't remember if it got into that category). It doesn't take any effort to pick out iconic 80's music to stick on the soundtrack especially compared to Kow Otani, Kenji Yamamoto etc. creating magnificent original compositions for games. If it was up to me I wouldn't have let it be eligible just like music compilations are never eligible for the same kind of awards.

As for best driving game, screw Gran Turismo. F-zero GX and the Burnout series had one thing over it, fun.

Edit: Hold on! Best of the decade has Dead Space. While I enjoyed it it's far from a best of the decade contender. How the hell did it get nominated when stuff like Metroid Prime got left off it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭Burgo

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Edit: Hold on! Best of the decade has Dead Space. While I enjoyed it it's far from a best of the decade contender. How the hell did it get nominated when stuff like Metroid Prime got left off it?

Did anyone vote for metroid prime? and i was a bit surprised when i saw dead space nominated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭Mindkiller

The guys voting for Chriiiiiiiis as best male are picking the wrong one

Best of the decade for Sound only, Retr0.
    Metroid Prime got nominated for 4 categories (but didn't get enough nominations for soundtrack).

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,435 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Oops read it wrong and I actually do think Dead Space had amazing sound :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭GothPunk

Mindkiller wrote: »
    Really? (Serious NSFW linkage there so I linked to a Kotaku article which contains the link to a Chris Redfield flash mini-game. You have been warned.)
    Nice to see a strong SMT presence, although no mention in 'RPG of the Decade'?:(
    I think that's down to a fractured fanbase here. I'd nominate Digital Devil Saga over SMT 3, whilst someone else might vote for Persona 3. I'm pretty sure some SMT games were nominated, they just didn't make the final list.

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭NunianVonFuch

Damn right! All the way through Resi 5 his arms just got bigger and bigger and more freakish looking (more closeups). He's nearly at Arnie's level and just seemed OTT throughout, nearly expected a final reveal where he was pumped full of drugs like Bane! :D What happened since Code Veronica? http://media.giantbomb.com/uploads/0/5993/725093-chrisportraitrecv_super.jpg

Frank, well he loves roleplay so seems like a freak in the bedroom

As for the ladies - Rebecca Chambers??? Instead of Jill Valentine? A paedosayswhat? :p In fairness though there could be a separate question nearly for all the Resi ladies, Ada Wong, Excella, Sheva, Claire Redfield (especially in Resident Evil: Degeneration), etc. Jade Raymond - Real Life doesn't stand a chance! :p

I'm afraid combined nostalgia and poor sequels made me vote for Silent Hill 2 and Deus Ex in every category they were in. Though they were worth it! :D

GTA: Vice City is an instant win for best soundtrack imo, but only because of the competition. I'd put Uncharted 2, Mass Effect, Metroid 1-3, MGS 3, Dead Rising, Bionic Commando, F-Zero GX, No More Heroes and Killer 7 all ahead of it and that's just off the top of my head. Halo is ok, but only really has one song, plus the awful flood theme nulls that.

That was a lot of fun, "Of the Decade" is a good list to do, thins the wheat from the chaff and makes you/everyone realize how amazing/ahead of it's time/unrivalled Deus Ex truly is. :D

GTA: Vice City is an instant win for best soundtrack imo, but only because of the competition.

Ahead of shadow of the colossus? You sir have no taste! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭NunianVonFuch

Ahead of shadow of the colossus? You sir have no taste! :P

Admittedly I've only played the first colossus and don't recall the music. It's still sitting on the shelf unfinished along with Citizen Kane judging me... ;)

Plus before Vice City I'd listened to zero 80s music "because that's all ****e right?" so that quickly changed it! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

As for the ladies - Rebecca Chambers??? Instead of Jill Valentine? A paedosayswhat? :p
    Retr0gamer wrote:
    What???

Vice City is definitely deserving of best licensed soundtrack, but can't really be compared with the original scores of all the other nominees

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭elekid

Frank, well he loves roleplay so seems like a freak in the bedroom

Chris has a new costume which suggests he's one step ahead of Frank on that score..

Warrior Chris.jpg

Rebecca Chambers is 18. Nothing wrong with that :P

Rebecca Chambers is 18. Nothing wrong with that :P

Yeah, 18 now. Resi 0 came out in 2003. :p

Videogame characters age? Must say princess peach looks well for hers :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

An awful lot of whinging going on in this thread.

Remember we nominated these titles, don't get upset if your favourite character or game doesn't make it...

Good job to all those involved. :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,475 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

An awful lot of whinging going on in this thread.

Whinging and retr0gamer The Internet? Never :p

I must say the awards have been good fun this year though, and hopefully a wide range of games will be reflected in the final results. The lack of Katamari nominations, however, is a disgrace, a disgrace I tell you! Apart from that, the hardest part was nominating segments of the Orange Box over others. Portal, Half-Life, Portal, Half-Life, arghhh!

Just under 48 hours to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,853 ✭✭✭Polar101

people. stop complaining about omissions. Games were based on nominations, and if the game you liked didnt get enough, well... tough.

I thought the nominations required a PhD to figure out, so I gave up on that part.

Anyway, thanks to everyone involved, fun vote. Looking forward to the results.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement