Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

BMW 520i (E39)

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Pedro32561

Hi lads,
    i'm looking to buy an E39 and checked service history on it. In some stamps mileage is higher than current but was told by the seller that it's in km, not miles, as it is a standard BMW practice.
    Is it correct?

Thanks

If it's been serviced in a BMW garage you should be able to call them to verify. I was in a BMW garage this morning checking out service history. They just put the reg in and showed me everything they had on the computer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

I have her ('98 523i automatic) for 6 years and I really love this car. She's still smooth as silk with a 100k on the clock now.

Only a few things starting to creep in now in the last couple of years. Few leaks in the air intake - nothing big. Suspension would need renewal - that's big. Bearing in the fan gone -> whistling noise with aircon on. Sounds like not much but awkward to get at and annoying.
    Other than that as solid as a tank. No rattle, she still doesn't look like a 'cheap' car, nothing.

Downside is running costs.
    I have a short commute, I would call myself the prime example of combined use and all I'm gettin' is 25-27 mpg. Probably not bad for that kind of a car but still its annoying. I used to have a longer commute and I got it up to 31-32 mpg then. If you're living in the city I'd be surprised if you'd be getting better than 21-22 mpg.

From 6 years ago petrol has gone up 33%. Road tax has -what?- doubled or more to just under 1 grand now. I could live with the petrol bill but the road tax is really pissin me off, its dead money after all.
    Feckin' greens really trying to discourage one from those cars. Which is idiot stuff since everyone knows that producing that new car of mine wastes a lot more energy compared to me keeping her. But typical 'green' stuff init? Good intentions but gettin it all wrong in the end.

Anyway, I am about to dump her for an economical car. She'll be going to scrappage within the next 2 months I'd say. Breaks my heart since there's nothing really wrong with her.

Thinking about getting this: http://www.carzone.ie/search/BMW/5-Series/520--M--/201007196965637/advert?channel=CARS

There's no service history so getting it fully checked out by a mechanic tomorrow. Any thoughts - should lack of history be a total deal breaker?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

Lack of history would not put me off, but ring around a few BMW garages with the REG and you might be able to find out some of the history. Especially check the mileage at each service you find.

Push the dealer to find out where he got it and what he has done to it. He should have some idea of its history. If not, use that as a bargaining tool.

The spec is so-so, no A/C is a downer but the leather looks good and it has the MFSW. Take it for a good long test drive and pay attention to the suspention in tight turns and also do a full brake test on a good road to see if there is any shake in the brakes or wheels? The gear box is another area to test. Use the 3 settings, Auto (D), Sportauto (DS) and manual (1-5) and see if there is any delays in the gear change or the "mini-cab shuffle" at low speeds when it swaps gears too often.

Obvious things like the tool kit in the boot, spare wheel, 2-3 keys, CD changer in the boot etc.

S.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

It might not have climate control, but I'd be surprised if it didn't have A/C.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

As a friend and I walked past a parked '00 520i auto in Howth today the driver started the engine, went to full lock and pulled out of the space. Cue major noises from the CV joints. Sounded like a truck when it drove past us - not the exhaust, just very loud at low speed for some reason. Moral of the story: Never judge an E39 on looks alone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

Yeah, sorry. Meant to type C/C, not A/C.

Friend has the one with the round knobs (like in the above car) and it's pretty poor compared to the full climate control, especially with leather in our blistering climate!! ;-)

Lack of history would not put me off, but ring around a few BMW garages with the REG and you might be able to find out some of the history. Especially check the mileage at each service you find.

Push the dealer to find out where he got it and what he has done to it. He should have some idea of its history. If not, use that as a bargaining tool.

The spec is so-so, no A/C is a downer but the leather looks good and it has the MFSW. Take it for a good long test drive and pay attention to the suspention in tight turns and also do a full brake test on a good road to see if there is any shake in the brakes or wheels? The gear box is another area to test. Use the 3 settings, Auto (D), Sportauto (DS) and manual (1-5) and see if there is any delays in the gear change or the "mini-cab shuffle" at low speeds when it swaps gears too often.

Obvious things like the tool kit in the boot, spare wheel, 2-3 keys, CD changer in the boot etc.

S.

Thanks rabbitinlights. Already took it for a good spin. Gear change was completely seamless in all modes. I've driven a good few automatic cars and this was probably the smoothest - I was well impressed. Took it on M50 and some back roads - felt really good to drive. Had already driven an E39 that had suspension issues and there was no comparison between the two.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭enviro

Can the A/C be changed for the CC, is it just the dials for buttons below the radio that needs changing?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 903 ✭✭✭MiketheMechanic

Go for the E39 OP! You won't be disappointed.
    Like others have said, just make sure its a good one, or else, you will need a big wallet ;-)
    I have my one for over 2 years now and its the best car I've ever owned - by far!
    Its a 2000 523i Auto Tiptronic, Factory M-Sport, Cosmos Black, Beige leather & carpets, Silver Dash & door trim, Dual Climate A/C, MFSW, Cruise, ASC, 6CD, Angel eyes, Black headlining etc.
    To pick up on a few things that other posters have said:
    I don't find the M-Sport suspension overly harsh, except maybe on really, really bad roads.
    Plus, my personal opinion is that the whole M-Sport "look" is much nicer and fresher looking than the equivalent SE.
    I love the 2.5L engine in the 523i. I couldn't imagine going back to a 2.0L. The road tax difference is relatively small for the gain in power and the smile it will put on your face.
    Consumption is 32MPG on long trips, but it does fall back to 23MPG around town for me.
    I love all the extras on mine - can't imagine doing without any of them, now that I'm used to them.
    Leather or suede is a must I think - will be hard to shift a car without it afterwards too.
    I love the Auto box - especially in DS mode :-) Manual might be slightly more frugal, but I imagine might be harder to sell on afterwards.
    Check the cooling system thoroughly on any potential purchase. You don't want to have to replace a head gasket or other expensive bits like the radiator up front.
    Preventative maintenance is the key - replace pumps and belts etc before they wear out and ensure servicing history follows Inspection I and II guides.
    you can keep running costs down by shopping around for consumables.
    Wide 17" or 18" tyres (rears wider than fronts on many E39s 255 vs. 235 on mine) can be found cheaply on blckcircles.com or similar sites - Personally, I like Toyo Proxes.
    Sticky tyres - despite the power deing delivered to them!
    Bulbs, wipers etc all cheaply available online.
    OEM Filters and other bits are surprisingly cheap at BMW, should you go down the route of self servicing. BMWs are also relatively easy to work on once you get used to them. Plenty of info on the web on the common service items and failures that occur. You will be surprised at what you can fix yourself on one of these!
    I don't think it was mentioned, but the passenger occupancy mat failing is known problem also - make sure airbag lights come on and go out at startup on test drives. Insist on an NCT. If you can find a car with a few months tax left on it, consider it a bonus.
    Try your local BMW garage for servicing costs, they have come down a lot for E39's. But an alternative is to find an independent mechanic who is "good" with BMWs. A few really good guys are emerging - word of mouth among BMW enthusiasts is a good way to find one.
    Good luck and let us know how you get on.
    MtM

Advertisement