Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

English answer length?

Options
  • 22-02-2010 9:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 28

Yea i know the whole quality over quantity thing but on average what are you expected to write for HL english(how many A4 pages):
    Single Text
    Comparative Studies
    Unseen poetry
    Prescribed Poetry

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭theowen

Yea i know the whole quality over quantity thing but on average what are you expected to write for HL english(how many A4 pages):
    Single Text
    Comparative Studies
    Unseen poetry
    Prescribed Poetry
    4 for all^ for 8-10 word per line hand writing. 1 and a half for unseen.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Lawliet

Well I for the single text and poetry questions you're expected to write about three pages on each. About two pages for the comparative, and at least a page and a half for the unseen poem. According to my teacher anyway. And of course it depends on your writing; if it's tiny it can be under that and if it's huge go over.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

Lawliet wrote: »
    Well I for the single text and poetry questions you're expected to write about three pages on each. About two pages for the comparative, and at least a page and a half for the unseen poem. According to my teacher anyway. And of course it depends on your writing; if it's tiny it can be under that and if it's huge go over.
    2 pages for the comparative??? You're having a laugh. At least 4.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭dambarude

The comparative is worth 70 marks, the most in paper two, so it should be the longest. Followed by the Single text, at 60, poetry at 50, and then the unseen poem.

When I did mine I aimed for
    Comparative- 5-6 pages
    Single text- 4-5 pages
    Poetry- 3-4 pages
    Unseen poetry- 2 pages.

Of course, it's quality, not quantity that matters and all that jazz.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Lawliet

NufcNavan wrote: »
    Again, just repeating what my teacher told us. She says not to write pages and pages for the comparative or you'll run the risk of writing about irreverent things, such as just outlining the plots or slipping into the wrong comparative mode. Better to make it clear and concise, provided you hit enough links and explain them properly.

I got almost full marks in the comparative last year and I only wrote about two pages and a bit. But maybe I'm just brilliant like that :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭theowen

Lawliet wrote: »
    Again, just repeating what my teacher told us. She says not to write pages and pages for the comparative or you'll run the risk of writing about irreverent things, such as just outlining the plots or slipping into the wrong comparative mode. Better to make it clear and concise, provided you hit enough links and explain them properly.

I got almost full marks in the comparative last year and I only wrote about two pages and a bit. But maybe I'm just brilliant like that :p
    Maybe you've very small handwriting:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Comparative- 6 pages
    Single text- 4 1/2 pages
    Poetry- 4 pages
    Unseen poetry- 1 1/2 pages.

That's about alright. Writing 2 pages for the comparitive is absolutely insane though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭window_licker

for my mocks i wrote two a4 pages on each! I know its way too short and im dreading getting my results lol. My teacher said that you should be averaging an a4 page every fifteen minutes, so taking into consideration the timing guideline on the exam you can work it out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 hardcorev1bes

I had my english mock today and i wrote 5 for single text,6 for comparative and 4 for prescribed poetry so i guess im alright...didnt get time for unseen poetry though so i will have to practice writing faster:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Maher08

dambarude wrote: »
    The comparative is worth 70 marks, the most in paper two, so it should be the longest. Followed by the Single text, at 60, poetry at 50, and then the unseen poem.

When I did mine I aimed for
    Comparative- 5-6 pages
    Single text- 4-5 pages
    Poetry- 3-4 pages
    Unseen poetry- 2 pages.

Of course, it's quality, not quantity that matters and all that jazz.
    This pretty much, except 2 pgs isnt needed for the unseen as its only 20 marks, a mark per minute so it really depends how much you can write in the time per question, usually 20 minutes/marks = 1pg and a half

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭dambarude

Maher08 wrote: »
    This pretty much, except 2 pgs isnt needed for the unseen as its only 20 marks, a mark per minute so it really depends how much you can write in the time per question, usually 20 minutes/marks = 1pg and a half

2 pages on a good day ;). 1 1/2 is probably enough though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,687 ✭✭✭Danger781

NufcNavan wrote: »

Thats what I was thinking. :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭almostnever

I have tiny handwriting and I usually average 2.5-3 in an exam. I agree with Lawliet,btw- a lot of people write too much for the comparative,don't focus on key moments and talk about a few different modes in the one answer. If you're focused and do it properly, it's perfectly acceptable for it to be about the same length as the single text or poetry. :)

Advertisement