Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

State of the world

• 22-02-2010 10:01pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭

With so many crises developing globally, for example, climate change, overpopulation, dwindling resources, much less the financial crisis, I think that humanity's survival is under threat. I think the presumption that our technological ingenuity will save us from a malthussian crisis is overstated. Imo there are possibly 3 outcomes, 1. there is a major shift in thought towards long term thinking, co-operation and solidarity as a global society to tackle these problems head on 2. the opposite of this 3. a mixture of both. I believe 1 is improbable, 2 is more probable but the logic of survival might make it avoidable, 3 is most probable but will it be enough?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭Riddle101

In answer to No.1 I don't think so. Sure experts can try to think out a solution but unless you have full co-operation, it's not gonna happen, and by full co-operation I mean from all Nations. Something I doubt will happen. The way I see it, the world is f*cked up. Always has, always will be and even if we do try to pull our efforts together for some sort of resolution, we'll continue to be sucked into the abyss until there is simply no more. But then again, I tend to be cynical and hate everything so it could just be my negativity that leads me to think that. But unless someone has any other reasons then I don't know, it just seems like we're in a cesspool of destruction or something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

Riddle101 wrote: »
    In answer to No.1 I don't think so. Sure experts can try to think out a solution but unless you have full co-operation, it's not gonna happen, and by full co-operation I mean from all Nations. Something I doubt will happen. The way I see it, the world is f*cked up. Always has, always will be and even if we do try to pull our efforts together for some sort of resolution, we'll continue to be sucked into the abyss until there is simply no more. But then again, I tend to be cynical and hate everything so it could just be my negativity that leads me to think that. But unless someone has any other reasons then I don't know, it just seems like we're in a cesspool of destruction or something.

I'd be inclined to agree but acceptance of a perception of the world as being inherently hostile, or as being anything, as a reality which can be universally applied isn't something which I find to be consistent. Accepting the way things are as a natural state of affairs just doesn't sound convincing either, especially if there are negative consequences, hence why you would need forward thinking. Constant negative outcomes from a given state of affairs would suggest that something should at least be tried to solve the problem rather than just pointing to an idea of what human nature should be. I think 3 or a variation on it would be the most likely, 1 is idealistic but 2 is something that would in general be very bad for all concerned.

Advertisement