Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford City Restaurants (2010 - Present)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,071 ✭✭✭Finnbar01

The Cliff House Hotel in Ardmore, Waterford, has a sensationally good restaurant that is easily superior in terms of both food and service -- bear with me here, please, for this is how I choose to spend my money -- to any of the score of Michelin-starred restaurants in which I have eaten in France.

Kevin Myers praises the Cliff Mile house in the indo.

http://www.independent.ie/opinion/columnists/kevin-myers/kevin-myers-we-are-blessed-with-wonderful-raw-foodstuffs-enjoy-them-for-therein-lies-a-certain-road-to-recovery-3089632.html

I've never eating out there. Is it a good as he says it is?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

Finnbar01 wrote: »

My mam and two aunts (who would all be into their food) were bitterly disappointed. Not that it wasn't nice i think the menu was just too much for them. very very different, ya know?

ziedth wrote: »
    My mam and two aunts (who would all be into their food) were bitterly disappointed. Not that it wasn't nice i think the menu was just too much for them. very very different, ya know?

Yep, looking at the menu here. It is very different.

Mind you, I would have no problem trying it.

http://www.thecliffhousehotel.com/dining/house-menu/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭calvin_zola

have heard some friends who where a bit disappointed with it.

its different strokes for diferent folks though, like I'd imagine Kevin Myers palate to be a lot more bitter than others

Yep, looking at the menu here. It is very different.

Mind you, I would have no problem trying it.

http://www.thecliffhousehotel.com/dining/house-menu/

Yep, I can see what they meant now. I'd give it ago if it was free but I'd never pay for it and if you took one look at me you'd know I like my food but it's definitely too much for me to fork out( what? Bones of) €70/80.

• Advertisement

Yep, I can see what they meant now. I'd give it ago if it was free but I'd never pay for it and if you took one look at me you'd know I like my food but it's definitely too much for me to fork out( what? Bones of) €70/80.
    Blood Orange and Rose Sorbet & Rosemary Jelly dyhydrated Yoghurt Crumbs and Irish Sea Salt

I would just love to see that on a plate let alone actually taste it.

Like, what the hell are dehydrated yoghurt crumbs... lols!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭eddiem10

I would give it a huge ....meh........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭batm!ke

Anyone know how Flame are about kids? As in, has anyone seen buggies there, is there a certain time limit on kids being there, etc? All help appreciated, I'll try ring them later anyway, but just want to hear if anyone has had an 'experience', lol :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

batm!ke wrote: »
    Anyone know how Flame are about kids? As in, has anyone seen buggies there, is there a certain time limit on kids being there, etc? All help appreciated, I'll try ring them later anyway, but just want to hear if anyone has had an 'experience', lol :D
    Flame is family friendly!

Buggies can be left downstairs, or brought upstairs if that's preferable. They also have high chairs, colouring pages and colours for kids of all ages. There is no time limit, but in the interest of other patrons, 8pm is probably late enough for excitable kids, especially at weekends.

The above comes from the horse's mouth :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 252 ✭✭jennygirl

being child friendly these days is so important - i take my hat of to those who are - inc
    flame, bodega, caseys, revolution, Dooleys Restaurant -
    unfriendly places inc Geoffs (big no no), tower hotel bar,

please fell free to add more

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,604 ✭✭✭deisemum

Espresso is child friendly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭batm!ke

deisemum wrote: »
    Espresso is child friendly.

+1 for Espresso being child-friendly, very nice staff and very helpful, and I love the fact the kids dishes aren't a choice of sausages, chicken nuggets or a burger with chips.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

Kids can make their own pizzas in espresso now. They get the base and the ingredients at the table and a little chef hat too.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭_ricochet_

Iv'e eaten the last 2 nights in Flame and its been great on both occasions. Will be back there again real soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Went to La Palma a few weeks a go for the first time in about a year and it reminded me of just how nice Italian food is. Great service and a nice wine selection. Will be going back there soon anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Appleblossom42

Talking of Italian, went to Harlequin in Stephen's Street a few weeks back. Wow! what an absolute little gem of a place. Food was superb, tastiest food I've had in Waterford in a long time. You could tell the ingredients were really fresh and the service is impecable, lovely Italian people with beautiful authentic Italian food. Can't wait to go back. :)

^ Sound lads run that place too. I used to work you that way and would always pop in there for my coffee. I'm delighted to hear they are still going.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Who runs Harlequin now? Havent been in there in so long!

I assume it's still Simone(spelling?) But it's been a good few years since I was in there so it could easily have changed hands.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 bluess

Talking of Italian, went to Harlequin in Stephen's Street a few weeks back. Wow! what an absolute little gem of a place. Food was superb, tastiest food I've had in Waterford in a long time. You could tell the ingredients were really fresh and the service is impecable, lovely Italian people with beautiful authentic Italian food. Can't wait to go back. :)

never heard of this place where about's is it ???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

bluess wrote: »
    never heard of this place where about's is it ???
    It's on Stephen Street, which is the street that comes onto Patrick street, just at Spokes/ Black Tie. Harlequins is 2/3 doors down from 5th Avenue(on the corner)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

I assume it's still Simone(spelling?) But it's been a good few years since I was in there so it could easily have changed hands.

Havent seen him in a long time, maybe it is, passed it a couple of times and saw two guys i didnt recognize in there is all. Thats why I thought it changed hands again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 252 ✭✭jennygirl

Espresso for the best pasta in Waterford. good service at the right price

• Registered Users Posts: 12 DanFarraday

Eaten here a few times now and have yet to leave unhappy. Good prices, fantastic food and very nice staff. Highly recommended

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Jason Todd

I had my fiancées birthday in Flame during the week, they were great with us. Price was brilliant, service was class and the food was excellent. People in the group who hadn't been there before are making plans to go back again. We had kids with us but lucky enough they behaved pretty well but the staff were great with them too.

Must give a special mention to Gracie's Buns & Cakes who did the personalised cake exactly the way I had it in my head! She even dropped it down to Flame and the staff brought it out after the dinner when I gave the go-ahead! Class evening! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 544 ✭✭✭inlikeflynn86

Just back from JVs there. Il defnitly be going back.... Food was excellent..... Service first class.... For €20 it was value for money.... I got the soup.... Steak and the choc brownie..... Will be going back :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

The Fitzwilton have a great Wine and Dine menu at the moment. €49 for 3 courses and a bottle of house red or white for 2. I was there last night and they were pretty packed and under a bit of pressure but all was well in the end.

I had Chorizo and Mozzarella Risotto for starters which was quite nice and the steak for main course. Steak was very slightly overcooked though. Homemade Chocolate Brownie for dessert was delicious.

For €49, you can't go wrong and there's a wide selection to choose from on the menu. I think I'll go back again on a quieter occasion though.... and ask for my steak rare.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 neko

boniver wrote: »
    L'atmosphere continues to offer really good cooking at amazing value. If anything I would say that the cooking there has become even stronger recently. That early bird for €20 with a glass of wine cannot be beaten.
    WENT THERE LAST WEEK THE MEAL WAS AMAZING STAFF WERE FAB AND SO WAS THE PRICE

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭mozattack

AdMMM wrote: »
    The Fitzwilton have a great Wine and Dine menu at the moment. €49 for 3 courses and a bottle of house red or white for 2. I was there last night and they were pretty packed and under a bit of pressure but all was well in the end.

I had Chorizo and Mozzarella Risotto for starters which was quite nice and the steak for main course. Steak was very slightly overcooked though. Homemade Chocolate Brownie for dessert was delicious.

For €49, you can't go wrong and there's a wide selection to choose from on the menu. I think I'll go back again on a quieter occasion though.... and ask for my steak rare.

Sounds yum but why the hell do people always get steak.

It is like going to The Fat Duck and asking for a hard boiled egg.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

mozattack wrote: »
    Sounds yum but why the hell do people always get steak.

It is like going to The Fat Duck and asking for a hard boiled egg.
    I'm sure their boiled egg is amazing! :p

Advertisement