Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford City Restaurants (2010 - Present)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45 Tallcarrie

Don't forget to vote for your favourite Waterford restaurant in the 2016 Irish Restaurant Awards - you can vote across 14 categories and it'd be great to see Waterford represented in these awards - link for voting below

Best Restaurant
    Best Chef
    Best Restaurant Manager
    Best Hotel Restaurant
    Best Casual Dining
    Best Gastro Pub
    Best Emerging Irish Cuisine
    Best Newcomer
    Best Wine Experience
    Best Customer Service
    Best Kids Size Me
    Local Food Hero
    Best World Cuisine
    Best Cafe

http://www.irishtimes.com/sponsored/restaurant-awards-ireland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 370 ✭✭The Bowling Alley

Those things, like all other awards (PPI awards anyone?) are an absolute joke.

Those things, like all other awards (PPI awards anyone?) are an absolute joke.

Why? ALL other awards are a joke? We'll all be grumbling if there isn't a Waterford restaurant in at least one category, and here's a way to make it possible

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Daisy 55 wrote: »
    Silly question I know? Kyoto is a sit down restaurant isn't it? Not take away only?

Sit down, street food style. There isn't any order as in starter, main, and there is no dessert option right now afaik, wasn't last Sunday when I was in there anyway!

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

Tallcarrie wrote: »
    Why? ALL other awards are a joke? We'll all be grumbling if there isn't a Waterford restaurant in at least one category, and here's a way to make it possible

Paul Flynn, The Tannery and Bodega/Burzza will do well as they always do.

The same people are always in it, always nominated. It is a pretty pointless award tbh, I actually got nominated for one of them myself last year and other then being a nice thing to put on the wall maybe it is meaningless.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,590 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

not the city but o donnachas in kilmeaden is a nice spot and had decent food.

anyone have food at the Tavern near ballybricken ???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭lassykk

PTH2009 wrote: »
    not the city but o donnachas in kilmeaden is a nice spot and had decent food.

anyone have food at the Tavern near ballybricken ???

Donnacahas do a smashing lunch. Never been there for dinner

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,740 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

I don't know what the big deal is with Burza. Its very average in my opinion and there are much better burgers in Rockin Joes and far better pizza in Ginos. Plus the staff in Burza seem very "too cool for school" rather than down to earth.

Paul Flynn, The Tannery and Bodega/Burzza will do well as they always do.

The same people are always in it, always nominated. It is a pretty pointless award tbh, I actually got nominated for one of them myself last year and other then being a nice thing to put on the wall maybe it is meaningless.

If it was meaningless, you wouldn't have put it on the wall! What it does mean is that your establishment does something a little out of the ordinary that deserves to be recognised - no more, but no less either.

We didn't put it on the wall :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭Deisegodeo

I see that Indian/Thai restaurant at the Glenville centre (formerly Kongs Chinese) has closed down. Didnt last too long unfortunately.

Looking forward to trying that Japanese place on High Street sometime soon, reports about it seem very positive which is encouraging to hear

I really enjoyed it, only thing I wasn't keen on is the gimmick that is the Bento Box :)

Can't fault the quality of the food or the service though, they were also out of Tuna now I think of it which meant no Spicy Tuna Roll :(

I really enjoyed it, only thing I wasn't keen on is the gimmick that is the Bento Box :)

Can't fault the quality of the food or the service though, they were also out of Tuna now I think of it which meant no Spicy Tuna Roll :(

Glad you enjoyed it but a Bento Box is a standard offering in a Japanese restaurant. Not really a gimmick!

Oh I know that, I just find them gimmicky, handy for those who are not familiar with the cuisine alright, gives them a handy sample box. The plastic they use is not exactly good for keeping the food that is supposed to be warm, warm though :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 370 ✭✭The Bowling Alley

The beef from that Japanese place is the nicest that I've tasted anywhere.

Oh I know that, I just find them gimmicky, handy for those who are not familiar with the cuisine alright, gives them a handy sample box. The plastic they use is not exactly good for keeping the food that is supposed to be warm, warm though :)

I'd agree with you on the plastic side of things alright! I'm not someone who minds food being a little bit cooler but could definitely see the issue here

I quite like the idea of the bento box as I like to try different things and this is a good way of doing so. Horses for courses and all that :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

lassykk wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

+1

The bento box is a Japanese classic - I ate enough of them during the time I spent in Tokyo - and I'm happy to say that Kyoto serve one that looks and feels right, i.e. made out of plastic!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

Have had take away from Kyoto, it was fairly bland if I'm honest. Which is a shame because I was looking forward to it.

fricatus wrote: »
    +1

The bento box is a Japanese classic - I ate enough of them during the time I spent in Tokyo - and I'm happy to say that Kyoto serve one that looks and feels right, i.e. made out of plastic!

Have you never had one in anything other then plastic? The more traditional ones are a bit better I think, but it's not a huge issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭dzilla

Really enjoyed recent trip to Peppers. The food was a cut above the rest of the indians in town presentation wise, and there was some interesting choices on the menu. Will definitely return

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

dzilla wrote: »
    Really enjoyed recent trip to Peppers. The food was a cut above the rest of the indians in town presentation wise, and there was some interesting choices on the menu. Will definitely return

We were there shortly after it opened and thought it was outstanding. Thanks for the reminder, must book a night there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,071 ✭✭✭Finnbar01

Do they serve puffer fish in the japanese restaurant?

Have you never had one in anything other then plastic? The more traditional ones are a bit better I think, but it's not a huge issue.

I was only in Tokyo for about three weeks, but every bento box I had was made out of plastic of some description, some flimsy (e.g. from 7-Eleven), some very high quality lacquer-type containers (in nicer restaurants).

Finnbar01 wrote: »
    Do they serve puffer fish in the japanese restaurant?

What do you think now? :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 700 ✭✭✭kayaksurfbum

Went to Kyoto last week for a quick bite. Really enjoyed it. I had a bento box and my wife had the chicken ramen, both were really good, will definitely be back for a meal of as many courses as i can handle!

The only downside is that its very plain and boring in there, i actually like that, i find it relaxing, but i can see how some people could get annoyed by it. No romance while you eat raw fish anyway!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭thomasm

Had meal in Peppers last weekend. Was really inpressed with service, presentation and of course the food. Had a pistachio chicken as main and was one of the nicest meals I've had in a long time. Also had a Jaipur main at table and this was lovely too.

Nice to see Dungarvan Brewing company in bottles available. 3 Indian couples(I'm guessing) eating that night which is always a good sign. Highly recommended.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

Any recommendations for somewhere to get a nice steak,been to Mclearlys i was thinking of Sheehans anyone been in there lately?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

La Palma is closed effective immediately. Was never in there (I think!) but still sad to see.

Wow, didn't realise things were that bad for them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,026 ✭✭✭iseegirls

Very surprised. Always thought it did well. It's a bit on the expensive side, but they had a few deals sometimes through groupon - which let us go a few times.

• Advertisement

Adyx wrote: »
    La Palma is closed effective immediately. Was never in there (I think!) but still sad to see.

Aw crap! I thought that would have been a very solid, established place. I've been in there (for a treat) a couple of times and it always seemed to have a good, well-heeled crowd, who you'd imagine wouldn't be shy to shell out on lobster, steak and a nice bottle of CDP!

BTW, what about Sabai then? Am I right in thinking they're owned by the same people, or is it just because they're next door to one another? And what about Espresso? That defintely belongs to the same crew, doesn't it?

Advertisement