Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Internet upgrade but still same speed?

Options
  • 22-02-2010 10:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭

Ok so today I upgraded my net from 2MB to 15MB, switched from Eircom to Chorus

I got it all setup and going fine. What's odd is that it streams media fine, like full speed, and from microsoft and other sites I reach top speeda (I.5MB a sec). Now on some other sites I'm only getting like 180KB/s download speed (same as old speed). It's weird as these sites gave me full speed before and now they aren't. It's odd how video streaming and certain DLs go full speed

I'm on wireless btw and have had no trouble with it so far so I think I can cross that out :)

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

First problem: any speed limitations might not be coming from your side of the equation at those speeds - it could be the website that's bottlenecked the connection!

Second problem: different ISPs treat different connections differently. AFAIK Eircom has a blacklist you can't connect to (usually pirate sites) and a greylist that run dead slow because Eircom don't like the cut of their jib! Many ISPs will automatically try to throttle unencrypted filesharing/P2P connections as even if they're legal they can still turn into a huge bandwidth hog for the ISP to bear. And some just have a closer or cleaner connection tendency to different sites.

Third problem: Its Chorus/UPC. What did you expect? :P sorry, couldn't resist!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭Ramza

Is it not weird how streaming works fine though? Is there a fix?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Streaming from where though? If you have any premium susbscriptions check out the download speed - odds are you'll be hitting ~2MB/s if its a real 15mbps connection you've got. Same with Microsoft on a good day - so long as they're not buried in people downloading a newly released hotfix you can hit your cap there. On a bad day you won't, and many other websites won't let you hit your max speed either - their own webserver is the bottleneck, not your shiny new connection! I do a jig every time I hit ~2MB/s - its really not a very common occurence! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭Ramza

Solitaire wrote: »
    Streaming from where though? If you have any premium susbscriptions check out the download speed - odds are you'll be hitting ~2MB/s if its a real 15mbps connection you've got. Same with Microsoft on a good day - so long as they're not buried in people downloading a newly released hotfix you can hit your cap there. On a bad day you won't, and many other websites won't let you hit your max speed either - their own webserver is the bottleneck, not your shiny new connection! I do a jig every time I hit ~2MB/s - its really not a very common occurence! :o

YouTube, gamespot mainly. Is there really a point in faster internet then if you rarely hit top speeds?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭cian1500ww

There's a broadband forum over here that might help>>>>>>>http://boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=259

• Advertisement
Advertisement