Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Lobe stretch

• 22-02-2010 11:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 543 ✭✭✭

probably a run of the mill question that you are all bored of but i'm gonna ask anyway! :p

i have my lobes pierced twice on each lobe, they were done with a needle with a small normal straight bar- ive no idea of the actual size, but was just a basic lobe piercing so whatever that is- if anyone wants to enlighten me?!

Anyway, i want to get one piercing from each ear stretched. so i'm hoping il have the part closest to my face stretched and then leave the second piercing as is. thing is ive two questions:

first: i know it depennds on the spacing and size of my ear and how big i stretch etc. but generally, could stretching the first piercing mean il need to sacrifice the second one to make room? if that makes sense???

second: how far can i stretch it to start with? like how big can you go the first time? (i know you'll prob need to know what size it is now but i'm hoping theres a general size they use for standard lobe piercings!). im not in any rush and dont wanna go too big anyway, im just curious!

apologies for the ramblings and thanks in advance!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

most lobe piercings are done at either 1.6mm or 1.2mm depending if you go to a corner shop or a proper studio.

if the two piercings are far enough away from each other and you stretch one, it shouldn't impede on the second. in saying that though it does depend how far apart they are and how much you intend on stretching.

If I were you I'd just head to a studio, tell em you want to size up and they will try most likely with a 2mm barbell, if that is very loose they'll go for 2.6mm and so on and so on. I mean you've your ears pierced already and presume they're healed, why go through more hassle.

i went long way around, got lobes done, then redone at 3.2mm, very sore and expensive. didn't know i could just gotten 2mm jewellery and sized from there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

It was probably pierced at 1.2 or 1.6mm. A piercer should be able to tell you what size it's at.

Erm, I'm not sure if you'd have to sacrifice the second one, it would depend on how big you stretch and how close the two piercings are to each other. I have my ears stretched to 8mm and have piercing beside one of them that I had before I started stretching. It's fairly close to the stretch at the moment and I'd say I might have to talk to a piercer about it if I wanted to stretch any bigger. Just to see how it would be affected by the bigger stretch.

As for stretching, your lobe piercings sound new-ish from your post so wait until they're fully healed which can take up to 6 weeks and then wait another month and a half or so until you begin stretching. If you're lobes were pierced at 1.2mm you should stretch up to 1.6mm. If they were pierced at 1.6mm you can go to 2mm. Probably the most important thing when stretching is the time between each stretch. Leave absolute minimum a month before going up another size and never go more than 1mm at a time. Once you've stretched to 2mm you can then go to 2.6mm or 3mm, then 3.2mm or 4mm then 5, 6, 7, 8mm etc...

Hope this helped and good luck with stretching :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 543 ✭✭✭CK2010

thanks for replies!
    they were both done in celestial ring.
    ive had them done years now and have prob stretched them a bit myself over time cause ive gotten bars that have been a bit thicker than the ones i started with!
    next question: will i have to pay much? like if they're only putting in a thicker bar then will they charge for the same price as a piercing or what way will it go?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭hitlersson666

Then there prob 1.2/1.6 :)
    Just when doing it size up slowely

They only charge for the jewellery when stretching in Celestial Ring. It's better if you do it yourself though as you get a feel for your body and know what works that way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 994 ✭✭✭pajodublin

They only charge for the jewellery when stretching in Celestial Ring. It's better if you do it yourself though as you get a feel for your body and know what works that way.

i disagree
    would it not be better to have a qualified professional stretch your ears
    to prevent tearing etc...
    Just my opinion

Nah it's safe enough to do it yourself as long as you take it slowly. I got stretched once by a piercer and they dead stretched it which wasn't very nice =/

Thanks for all your replies, they were very helpful!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Doing the stretching meself. I call down when getting new jewellery in but do all the tape stretching part meself.

seanybiker wrote: »
    Doing the stretching meself. I call down when getting new jewellery in but do all the tape stretching part meself.

can you explain this part? :o

• Advertisement

CK2010 wrote: »
    can you explain this part? :o

wrapping plumbers (ptfe) tape around the piercing to stretch it little by little. Its simple to do. I started off with a normal piercing and worked my way up. Have 12 in my left ear, I have an 8 in my right ear but its really more a 10 with the tape wrapped around it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭--LOS--

I'd recommend something like this http://www.bodyjewelleryshop.com/online_store/steel_stretching_crescent_kit_16mm_5mm_4140428.cfm

to start you off, this is what I used, you probably wont even need the smallest crescent in that set and I only needed to give it a week in between the earlier ones and a few weeks for the bigger ones. Just one kit is sufficient for both lobes and you can buy the bigger crescents individually after that. You say you dont want to go that big so I cant see the 2nd lobe piercing being a problem. Also that site is great for value and service and their delivery is so quick.

They actually look really good! pity i'd have to buy two sets to do both ears at the same time though!

I wouldnt bother, just start one off first and then start the 2nd lobe when the 1st one switches to the 2nd size.

would you not notice? or would you only notice with bigger sizes?

Well I guess that last crescent in that set looks significantly bigger than the ones before it but still not that big so maybe you'd wanna get individual matching ones after that set but I dont think it looks weird to have them out of sync. I know some people like to just use the crescents or the tapers for the stretching and then buy the jewellery as they go along but personally I wouldnt waste money on jewellery until you get to your desired size if you have a size in mind. I think the crescents look good as jewellery in their own right.

yeh you're right, i think they look cool as jewellery.but id prob get new jewellery once im at the size i like. thanks for your help

I went from an 8 up to 12 a few nights ago. Well it was more a 10 to a 12 becasue I had loads of tape around it. went in fecking no bother. took it out earlier to give her a bit of a clean. there was a tiny little drop of blood. Seems that when I tightened the thing I caught the barest amount of skin and twisted onto it. Its grand now though, can spin it like a hula hoop and its not sore at all.

well i ordered that stretching kit today and some other jewellery too- its a great site! thanks for all the replies!

well i ordered that stretching kit today and some other jewellery too- its a great site! thanks for all the replies!

best of luck bud. dont go to fast. I went a size or two a bit to early. does be sore. I heal very quickly though and Im drunk about 70% of the time so it wasnt to bad but still though.

• Advertisement

thanks! will let you know how i get on! i'll prob wimp out after the first stretch but we'll see! :p

Just after reading the advice thread on stretching, was wondering if someone can give specific advice on using those cresent stretchers? basically just tell me what to do cause im worried i'll do it wrong! thanks!

It's much easier to do it in the shower, so get some lube and take a shower. *Yous and your duurty minds!* Lube up the crescent and your ear and then just push it through. It'll feel tight but it shouldn't be really sore or bleed.

I use KY lube meself. Whatever ya do, if you use it aswell, dont scratch your arse. Ha ha. I was using baby oil, both very lube tastic. Shower is a good idea. You wont need to ram it in. Bit of a push but nothing major.

cool, thanks. and how long should i leave in between, ideally?

or just use some anti-bacterial soap to lube up your ears, handy to use a bit of kitchen paper to hold onto the jewellery when youre putting it in also. As for the time in between, you'll pobably see a lot on the web about waitin a month or 2 but honesty you'll know yourself, I used to leave it about a week at the start but bit longer for bigger ones, but then mine are still not all that big :(

yeh i'm just worried that i wont know, or il think i know what im doing and then something will go wrong! i guess ill try the first one and take it from there! nowt much else i can do!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Best advice:

G...o... v...e...r...y... s...l...o...w...l...y...!

I got those cresents in the post today, used the 1.2 in one ear and 1.6 in the other, so have really only stretched one ear so far but so far so good! thanks for the help, and thanks for recommending the site LOS!

• Advertisement

I got those cresents in the post today, used the 1.2 in one ear and 1.6 in the other, so have really only stretched one ear so far but so far so good! thanks for the help, and thanks for recommending the site LOS!

you should have taking a pic of no hole, then 1.6, then blaa blaa blaa. that be fun.
    whjat you hoping to go upto?

well i still can! i'm not hoping to go too big, 4 or 6. wanna stick to an even number as i found most jewellery is for even numbers, well most girls/pretty stuff is anyway! il prob end up going bigger though!

planned on going to 6 meself lol.

Im only at 10mm now and even that seems teeny, its a fun hobby though :D Do you have an upper limit seany?

--LOS-- wrote: »
    Im only at 10mm now and even that seems teeny, its a fun hobby though :D Do you have an upper limit seany?
    when I started i wanted 6 and said 8 is definitely my limit. Now Im at 12 and Im thinking going to 14 with 16 being the complete max, oh I dont know :( ha ha.

i said I would stop at 8... then 10... now 12... and looking at 14 :( ARRAGH!!!

• Advertisement

i said I would stop at 8... then 10... now 12... and looking at 14 :( ARRAGH!!!

thinking bout 14 now after that link you put up. there to cheap not to buy haha.

i know :eek: i also bought a lip ring i don't need.. as well as other things

/ runs off to wildcat to but more!!!!!!
    Im getting them titatium tunnles now!! arragh im going to be poor

i know :eek: i also bought a lip ring i don't need.. as well as other things

/ runs off to wildcat to but more!!!!!!
    Im getting them titatium tunnles now!! arragh im going to be poor

my lip is pierced slightly low to put a lip ring in it. Although maybe thats just me being weird. I had a tiny ring in it once for a few minutes and it felt weird, ill do it again haha.

I wanna get a set of rings for my ears lol.
    Me mate has a 24-26 solid steel ring for his ear. he only puts it in at a session to freak people out. Mad looking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 994 ✭✭✭pajodublin

i bought my 8's the other day
    trip to snakebite the weekend to put them in and i'll be sorted
    there lovely and blue :)
    96.jpg

pajodublin wrote: »
    i bought my 8's the other day
    trip to snakebite the weekend to put them in and i'll be sorted
    there lovely and blue :)
    96.jpg
    would you not put them in yourself?
    They're nice.

I may or may not have putting tape on my 12s last night tee he he.

• Advertisement

well the stretching has been going fine- up til now!
    i used that cresent kit and it was great but i think they gave me two 5s instead one 4 and one 5. nobody can see a difference between the two biggest ones! maybe we're just being silly but there doesnt seem to be a difference between the two and its a huge jump from the one i have in!
    so i cant stretch to a 4 using them, but i'm just wondering would you recommend i buy a taper or could i do a dead stretch with a tunnel? id prob need to leave it a bit anyway cause i only did the last stretch last week.
    thanks for the help!

well the stretching has been going fine- up til now!
    i used that cresent kit and it was great but i think they gave me two 5s instead one 4 and one 5. nobody can see a difference between the two biggest ones! maybe we're just being silly but there doesnt seem to be a difference between the two and its a huge jump from the one i have in!
    so i cant stretch to a 4 using them, but i'm just wondering would you recommend i buy a taper or could i do a dead stretch with a tunnel? id prob need to leave it a bit anyway cause i only did the last stretch last week.
    thanks for the help!

th_Stretch.jpg

Ok since I have used this stretching kit, sounds to me like youre dead right, you possibly have gotten 2 5s :confused:

So if you take a look at my crappy ancient nokia phone pic above^^ thats the 4mm there beside the cent, theres not a whole lot of difference between that and the one before it right, but the 5 does look kinda huuuuge in comparison to the 4 and def to the one before that! So unless you just see the big difference between the 4 and the 5 but you probably know that there should be 6 pieces and I can tell ya the last one (the 5) does stand out as being significantly bigger than the rest, thats because between the 10gauge and the 8gauge theres 0.8mm difference but theres 1 whole mm :eek: between the 6gauge and the 4gauge so the internal diameter of the crescent has to be a lot bigger to accommodate the stretch.

So if you have 2 pieces that look nearly identical and are significantly bigger than the others, you must be missing the 4mm...eh which does kinda suck and Im not sure taping at this early stage is a good idea. I would just email BJS and send back the 2 5s requesting a 4 and a 5. Maybe wait for a reply from them first before posting anything off. But I have gotten two little screw in balls off them before, one of them just didnt fit so I sent just that one back with the return slip you get with the order and I had a new replacement in a jiffy!

cool, from looking at that pic i almost definitely have two fives! which sucks! I dont have them with me now but when i do have them il try that and see, and if i do have two fives then il send them an e-mail, although it may be too long since i got them! cause i got them at the begining of march! thanks a million for your help!

no probs, think you have to return things within 7 days though.

Well they gave me two fives! sorry for not getting back to you sooner! thanks for your help!

i went around the local piercing shop and asked for any stretching tools they have to get me to a four. she found this thing which was similar to the cresent things, measured it to make sure and i bought that. didnt really like it but had 4m tunnels as i was aiming for that size. got home and got my boyfriend to put it in- was too much of a whimp to do it myself! :rolleyes:

it killed!!! absolutely killed so i told him to stop and he did, it was only half way in and my ear was really sore, which didnt happen with the others so he had a look and the thing she gave me was twice as thick as the 4m tunnel i had. so he just put the tunnel in without a bother and my ear was so happy!

my boyfriend is at 6m and he put the jewellery in that i got from the piercing shop and he said it was pretty snug in his ear so it must have been at least 5m. which is weird cause she measured it??

anyway one ear is at 4 and the other is at 3.2, i think, for now! thanks for all your help!

least you had the sense to not force it through, ya did good!

yeh i was actually lucky that for once i didnt just say 'just do it quickly'! cause my ear would be in bits! it was quite dry and abused feeling but it seems grand now, using vitamin e oil and cleaning every day so fingers crossed it'll be ok!
    but im really loving being able to see through it! :D cant wait for my other ear to catcch up! ive a feeling il go bigger!

Im up at a very comfortable 14 now. Kinda bored of em to be honest. Could be just the things I have in but Im debating to get rid of them and going back to a 6 or 8 to be honest.

ah dont go smaller! all that hard work and waiting down the drain! buy new tunnels or something! something completely different!

ah dont go smaller! all that hard work and waiting down the drain! buy new tunnels or something! something completely different!
    ah yeah. Ill see. I think its just the new tunnels I got just look bad ha ha ha.

• Advertisement
Advertisement