Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

7D or 5DMKII?

• 22-02-2010 11:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 36

hey guys.

I might get my hands on some money the next few weeks.. so after a long time, I might be able to upgrade my camera!!(fingers crossed!) as for the lens.. I'm pretty much decided on getting a 24-70 f2.8L lens.. but for the body.. I'm torn between a 7D or a 5D MKII.. but the 7D is becoming a more economical option..
    I love landscapes.. so I figured out the 24-70 won't be wide enough for the 7D so I'm thinking of getting a 10-20/10-22(yeah I sold mine just a month ago, totally regret it) so that adds another 500-700euros to my expenses.. the thing is.. if I add that money to the 7D, I can get a 5dmkII body..& the 24-70 would be wide enough for landscapes..
    now.. which is the better option??

7D with 24-70 & 10-22

or

5D MKII with 24-70?

thanks.

which will be better for landscapes? 7D or 5DmkII? 24 votes

5DmkII with 24-70 f2.8L
    0%
    7D with EF-S 10-22
    100%
    OSiriS[Deleted User]joolsveerBorderfoxprojectmayhemRbkjtswingkingRoendemocratesPaddy@CIRLcoolmoosePCPhotoDK32homerun_homerosheadThOndasasarphp-foxdaycent 24 votes
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

7D with EF-S 10-22
    I'm gonna say 5D - we've had this topic come up before.

Thread needs a poll

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

If you go with the cropped sensor 7D you need 17-55 f2.8 lens really.
    5DII is fullframe and 24-70 suits it nicely.
    http://gizmodo.com/5349829/canon-7d-dslr-first-hands-on-18-megapixels-24fps-full-hd-video-for-1900

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

7D with EF-S 10-22
    the 7D is a cheaper camera - and more suited to taking photos quick (ie. reportage work/sports) ...it still works great for everything else.

The 5D mk2 is a better quality sensor (in my opinion) ....not suited to reportage work, but if you can take time when taking your pics then the 5D is a better option.

I have a 7D and a 5D (mark1) ......but I prefer my 1D mk2's :D (not 100% used to my mk4 ... need to upgrade software ...and RTFM)

• Registered Users Posts: 36 supermangyan

pixbyjohn wrote: »
    If you go with the cropped sensor 7D you need 17-55 f2.8 lens really.
    5DII is fullframe and 24-70 suits it nicely.
    http://gizmodo.com/5349829/canon-7d-dslr-first-hands-on-18-megapixels-24fps-full-hd-video-for-1900

Thanks PCphoto.. the 17-55 has added to my confusion. :D
    I have a 70-300 at the moment.. so I think the 24-70 would be a great addition.. & with a 10-22/10-20, i'm sorted out from 10-300.. the 17-55 is a very good lens.. but it's kind of in the middle of the 10-22 & 24-70.. but I'd love to have one. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

• Advertisement

thanks for the link. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭sasar

7D with EF-S 10-22
    If it's for landscapes I would go for 5D.

7D however does have it's benefits: better AF, better metering, more fps and improved video.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

7D with EF-S 10-22
    Landscapes? Image quality? Lense quality?
    It looks like you are comparing Astra to Bentley.

I know there's a big difference with the two options.. but it's nothing like an Astra - Bentley comparison. I think you're exaggerating there..

FYI, I used to drive an Astra, a red '99 sedan.. it was my first car when I moved here in Ireland & I loved it! manual transmission, massive boot, spacious interior, although a 1.4L engine, it was powerful enough for me.. I would have never sold it if I wasn't talked into upgrading by some friends who loves cars & always talk about getting the newest, fastest car available.. about around that time, my wife was pregnant so I figured out.. yeah maybe this is the perfect time to get a bigger car.. so I reluctantly sold the Astra & got an '06 Corsa! which was actually smaller, I crashed after a few months,not intentionally though.. insurance paid us & now I'm driving a Honda MPV(not a Bentley as you might expect).. which is huge, sits 6 people, massive storage space, 1.7L engine, & an automatic. now we have our daughter so it's handy that we have the additional space. But sometimes I wonder.. do I need all those extra space? even the engine size?
    I mean, we occasionally go out of town, but 90% of the time, we just use the car to go to Tesco for groceries. I assume we do, because I have it now so we have to justify having it & I'll make good use of that space by asking friends to ride along whenever we go away.
    My point is, I was very happy with the Astra.. I love how it was just right for my needs at that time.. but now, I need a bit of extra so I went for something which has a bit more than what I need, but I don't want to go overboard with buying a Bentley as you are suggesting.
    This thread was made to ask people's opinions so I can learn in detail what I need to get.. the difference in my 2 options isn't that far as an Astra & a Bentley.. that's why I'm asking for people's advice.. if the difference was that obvious, I would've opted to get the Bentley right away.
    I am very easy to please.. so I won't mind if there was a tiny bit of distortion, noise or blur in my image, my problem here is I'll be spending the same amount of money on both options.. because a 7D+10-22 if I'm not mistaken, would cost the same as a 5Dmk2 body. the 24-70 would be a constant in both options.
    I know it's quite obvious that the 5Dmk2 is the better option, especially if I'll be using an L lens as my wide angle instead of an EF-S UWA lens on the 7D, but on the other hand.. the 7D has other features that might outperform the 5Dmk2.. even though the 7D has a cropped sensor.

that's my dilemma.

cheers.

Advertisement