Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ski Trip!! Some advice please.

• 22-02-2010 11:43pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭

First time heading over, one of the lads is over there as a rep for a few months so we're visiting him for a week.

Anyway, Im considering going straight for the ol snowboard? Good idea? Bad idea?

I used to be a skater kid when younger and ,perhaps foolishly, believe the skills needed are somewhat transferable? Are they?

First time anyway, all advice greatly greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭EileenG

If you've never been on snow before, take your choice. The learning curve on boards is steep, you'll spend the first day mostly on your arse, but you get to the stage where you can get round the mountain quicker.

Just make sure you get a decent teacher, and don't try to muddle through on your own.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭Theresalwaysone

Thanks Eileen.

I've no idea, we are only going for a week so I'd like to get the most out of it to be honest. I was kinda hoping that skateboarding before would help flatten the learning curve but thinking about it, it would prob only be good stance wise.

Regards teachers? Im going to Alpe D'Huez and I wouldnt know a decent teacher from a bad one.

Any other tips? I'd be a bona fide skitard if Im honest.

Ask your friend who is out there who is the best teacher. Ideally, get a private lesson for the first couple of days, that should be enough to get you able to get round the mountain rather than stuck on the nursery slopes.

Might also be worth checking out YouTube to see if they have any boarding lessons for beginning on there.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

If your mate is a rep then they should have a bit of an idea of the local ski schools.

Your likely to spend more time falling over in the first week on a board than you would on skis, but once you've got over that issue you'll get to cover more terrain quicker than beginning on skis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭Theresalwaysone

Cheers guys and gals. Much appreciated.

I reckon Ill get lessons. Been on youtube looking at some tutorials there, obv no substitute for the real thing but nice to see how I should be doing things.

Robinph would you recommend skiing then instead of boarding for a first timer?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

I would recommend skiing because I am a skier and qualified as a ski instructor last year.

Which you do makes no real difference, although there are plenty of differences. They are both fine ways of getting down a mountain. If your unsure then flip a coin to decide.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 742 ✭✭✭The Big Gig

I did skiing for 3 years but this year decided to board as poxy ski boots just didn't agree with me and yes I tried plenty of different pairs. Bought a pair of boarding boots this year and took up boarding. Went for a Couple of lessons up in kilternan and then had the best week of boarding in Austria. Even though I was a beginner boarder the buzz was so much more rewarding than skiing. I found that it was easier to progress on the board than it was on the skis. I'd say the skating will give you a bit of a headstart. snowprofessor.com is pretty good for letting you know what you are in for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 981 ✭✭✭flikflak

Whichever you choose then get lessons for the whole week. As mentioned above ask your friend which ski school to go with and also if he can recommend any instructors. You can usually get lessons in the morning for a couple of hours then have the afternoons to yourself to practice what you have learned and head off with your friends.

Some time invested at the beginning learning technique can set you up for future successful and happy trips to the snow.

That's a serious consideration. Ski boots are pretty much torture unless you are lucky or picky enough to get ones that are a perfect fit, while boarding boots are so comfortable, you could wear them all night.

Advertisement