Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Internet upgrade but still same speed?

• 22-02-2010 11:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭

Ok so today I upgraded my net from 2MB to 15MB, switched from Eircom to Chorus

I got it all setup and going fine. What's odd is that it streams media fine, like full speed, and from microsoft and other sites I reach top speeda (I.5MB a sec). Now on some other sites I'm only getting like 180KB/s download speed (same as old speed). It's weird as these sites gave me full speed before and now they aren't. It's odd how video streaming and certain DLs go full speed

I'm on wireless btw and have had no trouble with it so far so I think I can cross that out

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

you can't 'cross out wireless' as a potential cause unless you remove it from the equation. :)

BUT, regardless of that, it would help a lot to give examples of what sites you are talking about.

if some stuff is working fine, but others not, then it might well be a problem outside of your connection.

have you tried www.speedtest.net to get some idea of your actual speed?

doing it at this time of night isn't going to do you much good though, you'll find contention just about everywhere. wait till after midnight or first thing in the morning and do some tests then.

also, try something like DU Meter or another bandwidth monitoring tool to see what sort of speeds you are actually getting when you download or stream stuff.

Advertisement