Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Summons

• 23-02-2010 12:11am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

I really need some advice on a serious issue.
    on 2/10/09 i was caught speeding. 43 in a 30.
    i filled in the form to admit i was the driver.
    Then i recieved the form to pay the fine and accept the 3 penalty points.
    i sent the wrong stuff away, and recieved a letter telling me so.
    but then i never got round to finishing it off.
    now i have a letter of summons!!!
    i was thinking of writing a letter saying sorry and that i didn't realise how serious this was, and pleading guilty.
    But i don't know if it would be better to plead guilty in person.
    What is the best thing for me to do, and how much will this cost me?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,719 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

You've been summonsed, you have to appear or the fines will be much more harsh.

Hard luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

sorry to hear that op

sometimes you get double fine but no points, happened to my mate, and the savings in insurance make it ok

good luck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Viper_JB

You should just show up and explain the situation, be as well spoken and dressed as possible, you'll probably only recieve the initial fine and points the judges are used to dealing with absolute scum most of the time. If you're very nervous or not too sure what to expect it'd be best for you to pop into the court some time before your summons and see what it's like, you'll know what to expect and how best to say what you need to say after seeing others, you definitly won't be the only person there with this problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Try to have a quick word with the Garda first too, it's no harm to have them on your side.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 potterlad

Cheers guys. thanks for the advice.
    Will i need to take any representation like a lawyer? or am i ok on my own?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

potterlad wrote: »
    Cheers guys. thanks for the advice.
    Will i need to take any representation like a lawyer? or am i ok on my own?
    This is only my personal opinion, but I think you should be fine on your own. Dress well, be polite & apologetic and hope for the best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 potterlad

Cheers guys. thought i'd let you know how it went.
    Really good outcome. got my 3 points and £60 fine which i already had to pay + £15 in administration fees. didn't even have to pay court costs! fantastic.
    They even apologised to me for wasting my time!!!! couldn't believe it.
    Though i was the only person in the magistrates that day wearing a suit.
    Some right scum bags there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

Should have stated in your first post that you weren't in ROI though :D

Glad it went well for you

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭Goldenlady

I think the suit definitely helped! Same thing happened my boyfriend a couple of months ago and he was wearing a suit (As he does wear one in work anyway!) but he was the only one who got away without extra points or fine! Next time (Hopefully there wont be one!) pay it as soon as possible!:rolleyes:

Advertisement