Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on Hygiene/Grooming

Options
  • 23-02-2010 12:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭

Just wondering what do the experienced Dog-Owners on the forum advise when it comes to looking after the Hygiene/Grooming of their beloved pet. Specifically My query relates to what type of dog shampoo is recommended and what is the best product to use when it comes to dealing with a rather smelly breath. Bruno out 14month old Lab/Boxer who we recently adopted from the DogsTrust centre is settling in very well.

Any advice welcomed :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

Hi, congrats.
    We had a Lab/boxer growing up, they're one big bouncing ball of fun.
    For washing its best to try a few different shampoo's to find the one that suits best as all dogs are different, the most important thing is to rinse it well. I usually use plain old puppy shampoo with tea tree in it, even though one is 18months now, 'cos it smells nice:D.
    As for the bad breath, the food they eat can affect this along with plaque and other things. I read somewhere that certain herbs or seaweed extract can make breath fresher, as can brushing the teeth. If it's really bad I would check all the teeth or get vet to have a look just encase theres a problem in the mouth.
    Best of luck, and where's the pic?

If you have a nice local butcher ask for a bit of marrowbone, my butcher keeps me bits with a little meat still on, every week or two at no charge and they do help clean teeth and the breath is fresher a day or two after. just give raw, never cooked.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭barbiegirl

I do find the dentastix work really well, as in Sindy's breath is not nearly so bad once she has one once a day, that plus whilst we mix some tinned food with her dry food the dry food I know helps as it doesn't stick so much.
    I'm afraid I haven't tried brushing her teeth.
    As to the shampoo, I've found a basic puppy one is fine, but I only use it when I really have to, as in when she rolls in Fox urine. Mostly I just sit her in the bath and wash her without shampoo, she prefers it and I do think it's better for her to keep the chemicals to a minimum.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

I just use a shampoo I got at the vets, it's a big bottle think its vet solutions or something like that vet something with aloe vera and it's a great general mild shampoo.

Saying that my favourite is bow wow bouquet one it smells so lovely and it's mild as well hartonpaw website do it, next on my to buy list. It's got jasmine in it luverly.

What food is your pooch on, it can sometimes effect their breath.
    Are his teeth and gums ok?

Chewing on stuff as suggested really helps I use those white bones they're filled with rubbish but the crows usually pick the most of it much to the dogs disgust but they still love to chew on the white part and has made a huge difference to the dogs teeth was almost booking our middle girl in to have her teeth cleaned by the vet but the white bones did the trick.

Pigs ears can be great for the teeth but our lot get the runs straight after and have had to have antibiotics both at different times from eating them it was deffo. the pigs ears wouldn't use them again.

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭boodlesdoodles

I use plain old Johnson's baby shampoo on my dog, he's a westie so I'm careful about his skin etc. Its perfect for puppies too and was recommended by my vet. I use a rinse that has tea tree in it for the final wash as it can be good for the skin and has the double effect of being a flea deterrent. Thankfully, he's never had any skin problems so I'm probably doing ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭Macker1

barbiegirl wrote: »
    I do find the dentastix work really well, as in Sindy's breath is not nearly so bad once she has one once a day, that plus whilst we mix some tinned food with her dry food the dry food I know helps as it doesn't stick so much.
    I'm afraid I haven't tried brushing her teeth.
    As to the shampoo, I've found a basic puppy one is fine, but I only use it when I really have to, as in when she rolls in Fox urine. Mostly I just sit her in the bath and wash her without shampoo, she prefers it and I do think it's better for her to keep the chemicals to a minimum.

I picked up a packet of Dentastix earlier today so I will see if they help. Also picked up some shampoo which will be used when Bruno gets a bath for the first time at the weekend. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭Macker1

I just use a shampoo I got at the vets, it's a big bottle think its vet solutions or something like that vet something with aloe vera and it's a great general mild shampoo.

Saying that my favourite is bow wow bouquet one it smells so lovely and it's mild as well hartonpaw website do it, next on my to buy list. It's got jasmine in it luverly.

What food is your pooch on, it can sometimes effect their breath.
    Are his teeth and gums ok?

Chewing on stuff as suggested really helps I use those white bones they're filled with rubbish but the crows usually pick the most of it much to the dogs disgust but they still love to chew on the white part and has made a huge difference to the dogs teeth was almost booking our middle girl in to have her teeth cleaned by the vet but the white bones did the trick.

Pigs ears can be great for the teeth but our lot get the runs straight after and have had to have antibiotics both at different times from eating them it was deffo. the pigs ears wouldn't use them again.

Arden Grange Lamb Chicken & Rice
    His Teeth and Gums look fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

There's various dog biscuits on the market with mint or summit in them.
    Or doggy toothpaste even just to rub on his teeth now and then to freshen up his mouth.

Some dogs just has stinky breath but with that diet and good teeth and gums it might clear up over time.

Advertisement