Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Block Party - Dates and Info.

• 23-02-2010 12:32am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,529 ✭✭✭✭

March 3rd - Toy Soldiers (1200) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-qsXfvAjJw
    March 10th - Scrap Metal (1200) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ESLu-Qnya5s
    March 17th - Perfect Dark (800) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U4fw0VvPg9w
    March 24th - Game Room (Free, each game costs a small amount)
    And if you plan on downloading Game Room along with purchasing all three games, Microsoft has a small (but nice) reward: 400 free Microsoft points and a free extra month for XBL Gold subscribers. And if you're not an XBL Gold subscriber, Microsoft still has a little something in store for you, too -- March 26-29 will be a free multiplayer weekend, giving everyone a chance to play all of the month's releases (let's be honest, probably mostly Perfect Dark) online.

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3178069

I'm not terribly pushed about any of these games to be honest. As a retro fan, I'm not sure I can justify paying for emulated games -- especially if they are free (ahem) on MAME. MS will make a fortune off them, though - especially from the "gotta get 'em all" brigade....

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭mailrewop

toy soldiers looks like it could be great fun

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

mailrewop wrote: »
    toy soldiers looks like it could be great fun

Out of the 3 games that's the one I have the highest hopes for. It could be a sleeper hit, hopefully.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Toy Soldiers does look pretty good. As for the Game Room, most of the games anounced so far have been "Meh" for me. Now if they start to grab games like Final Fight (already on its way to XBLA) and other classic arcade games that I played as a kid it could be great.

*crosses fingers for release of the Metal Slug series*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

I'll definately be getting the revamped Perfect Dark, but wouldn't be bothered with either of the two others.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Mr. K

I can't wait for Perfect Dark, it's a steal at 800 points. Anyone who hasn't played it is missing out.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,786 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Perfect Dark was half a good game. It goes to **** after Elvis turns up. Nowadays it's aged terribly and is just a poor game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,451 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

ah goody, retro is here to cheer us up! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Mr. K

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    It goes to **** after Elvis turns up.

Ah no, Elvis didn't really mark the point where the quality lessens, I thought the
    Skedar
    levels (the last two) were just a bit poor. The
    Air Force One
    and
    Crash Site
    levels are some of the best in the game!

Now, if you're talking purely from a plot perspective, then yes, the plot goes a bit pear-shaped when Elvis appears.

Spoiler tags for a 10yr old game, I love it.:D

I never actually played the single player of it on the N64 mind. Only multi and couldn't get to like it over Goldeneye. So its all going to be new to me. Have to wash away the nasty taste Zero left behind in 2005.

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭NunianVonFuch

Mr. K wrote: »
    Ah no, Elvis didn't really mark the point where the quality lessens, I thought the
    Skedar
    levels (the last two) were just a bit poor. The
    Air Force One
    and
    Crash Site
    levels are some of the best in the game!

Now, if you're talking purely from a plot perspective, then yes, the plot goes a bit pear-shaped when Elvis appears.

The skedar should have been cut-out of the game entirely. Just have the same levels, filled with people out for the hidden tech or something. Anything except shooting those bullet-sponges over and over again!

Loved Air Force One! That, the first three levels and the one with the portholes on the way to the sub I replayed many a time, nearly as much as Facility - Enemy Rockets in Goldeneye.

I don't get how people think Goldeneye and Perfect Dark have aged so badly, I mean aside from the graphics which a PC emulator will fix, FPS gameplay has not changed in 10 years! Look at Call of Duty, it's nowt different at all to Perfect Dark except more stuff 'splodes and there's more voice acting. The shooty-shoot bang bang is still controlled with an analogue stick, headshots still rule, the games are still too short only thanks to regen health the games are a slog rather than a challenge at times, and enemies still charge towards you firing away. :D

• Advertisement

Its the aiming mechanics in the game that's very different to most other FPS games. In PD and Goldeneye there is general aiming where the viewpoint and crosshair move as one like todays fps games and then you have the ability to aim within the view point which I find works well on the N64 controller but I find very hard with todays controllers. Its the same aiming system used in the TimeSplitter games and I cound't hit a thing in them. Same again with the sniper rifle in Killzone, couldn't get used to that aiming mechanic at all.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,786 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

It's not just the aiming. The AI is absolute gash and some of the design choices are redundant like respawning enemies in some levels and stealth mechanics that don't work.

It's not just the aiming. The AI is absolute gash and some of the design choices are redundant like respawning enemies in some levels and stealth mechanics that don't work.

The AI is quite good, unpredictable for the most part. Nice touches like having them run away when you nick their guns or taking cover. I thought the stealth mechanics were quite well done too, listening out for ppl's footsteps to know when it's safe, the camspy to help peak around corners, a little bit of leeway when you hold aim and press left to popout and peak that the enemy doesn't see you if you're quick enough etc, but it's an action game for the most part, not stealth based. Do people complain about Call of Duty cos there's no stealth, except when heavily scripted? :p Most of Perfect Dark doesn't have respawning enemies unless an alarm is sounded on a couple of the levels and then that's the same in most games out today (MGS, COD (alarm is always on :p), Far Cry 2, Left4Dead, etc).

TBH tho I can't wait for Paddy's Day as there are so few splitscreen shooters that let you have 4 players these days so that even if I am completely deluded about the single player - Instant Kills on Felicity with Pistols only will still be awesome! :D

Well I went back to both games recently on the N64 and they were very poor games by todays standards. If the multiplayer is good online I might get it but single player in both Goldeneye and Perfect Dark these days is dreadful. The AI routines that you talk about were revolutionary at the time but things have moved on so much that when you play it now it's really bad and feels very 'canned' and unnatural. They are revolutionary but they aren't good anymore.

It still beats getting grenade spammed by the AI in the COD games.:pac: No shooter has decent AI these days anyway. In most games they infinite respawn and can track you through walls and know your location all the time.

They only decent AI would be in the ARMA games fully patched and then only the soldiers, leave the pilots out of it.:D

I've heard talk that there'll be 4-player split screen over live. Sounds a lot more interesting now.

I've heard talk that there'll be 4-player split screen over live. Sounds a lot more interesting now.

Now you're on the trolley! :D 360 needs more games with that option in general tho, as the only other shooter to do this is Halo afaik and lets just say that's not to everyone's taste. :p
    Who made 2-player splitscreen the standard? Idiots that's who! :D

These days you are lucky if you get split screen at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,451 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

anyone playing Toy soldiers yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,348 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Yep only played the tutorial and the first two missions but it's a lot of fun so far. Kinda like a cross between a tower defence and RTS game where you can take control of any unit at anytime. Reckon it's gonna be a blast in multiplayer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

So are many people getting Toy Soldiers??

I am gonna get it at some stage, but if there are a bunch of boardsies playing already, i might pick it up sooner.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Yea I might aswell grab picked up 4200 points from one of those codes sites so worth a lash I reckon, not gone on the other too games though. Perfect Dark has it's day, with my little n64 expansion block, and it was a great day too, but it's been and gone.

Has anyone that bought Toy Soldier had any problems with Multiplayer games on live??

I have managed to get a game yet where I don't get disconnected. Tis a bit annoying...Dunno if its my connection or the game!!! I suspect its the game as I can play all my other games fine online.

Anyone that has it, feel free to add me anyways, we can try have a game or 2.

I'm finding it hard to get into the trail, still on the fence on weather to get this or not. I can't decide. I've tried it a few times but I just don't know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Toy Soldiers is a good fun litle game (only played the trial mind), great to be able to jump into the guns and mow down hordes of soldiers rather than stand back and watch, getting more and more bored like most tower defense games.

I am enjoying Toy Soldiers, I think its a great little game...stuck on the last campaign level at the moment.

The few online games I played were good too (before I got disconnected prematurely)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,286 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Damnit dont wanna have to wait another 10 days till PD

Advertisement