Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Renault Megane Hatch/Coupe?

Options
  • 23-02-2010 12:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭

Stay with me. I've got a 98 Ford Fiesta and about 17000euro. Now I'm not a new car type of person but with some of the scrappage offers around I've decided to dive in.

I tested the new Megane today. Dynamique 1.5 dci 86 bhp. Good smooth drive, not as noisy as I thought it would be. Gear box seemed a bit 'tinny' is the best I can describe it. All in all though I liked it. 16000 including metallic paint and delivery.

A few questions: Is this good offer? Would I be better buying used? At risk of taking some flak, is the coupe for 800 euro more a better offer? Or what about the Kia Pro'ceed?

It's probably obvious but I'm not big into my cars so any help would be appreciated as it's a fairly big purchase and want to be totally happy with it.
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,532 ✭✭✭Zonda999

Macca3000 wrote: »
    Stay with me. I've got a 98 Ford Fiesta and about 17000euro. Now I'm not a new car type of person but with some of the scrappage offers around I've decided to dive in.

I tested the new Megane today. Dynamique 1.5 dci 86 bhp. Good smooth drive, not as noisy as I thought it would be. Gear box seemed a bit 'tinny' is the best I can describe it. All in all though I liked it. 16000 including metallic paint and delivery.

A few questions: Is this good offer? Would I be better buying used? At risk of taking some flak, is the coupe for 800 euro more a better offer? Or what about the Kia Pro'ceed?

It's probably obvious but I'm not big into my cars so any help would be appreciated as it's a fairly big purchase and want to be totally happy with it.
    Thanks.

Depends what your priorities are IMO, do you need the extra practicality of the hatch, or would the better looks of the coupe appeal to you more in the long run? I would find the coupe way better looking btw

Definitely test drive the pro-ceed though, personally i'd go for that over a megane, just the whole feel, look and perception of the car would swing it for me, completely different feel of car to the Renault. Longer warranty too!

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭Macca3000

Zonda999 wrote: »
    Depends what your priorities are IMO, do you need the extra practicality of the hatch, or would the better looks of the coupe appeal to you more in the long run? I would find the coupe way better looking btw

Definitely test drive the pro-ceed though, personally i'd go for that over a megane, just the whole feel, look and perception of the car would swing it for me, completely different feel of car to the Renault. Longer warranty too!

I do prefer the look of the coupe alright but are they a bit girly or is that just my perception of them?

I'm going looking at the pro-ceed tomorrow. Really like the look of it and checking their website I could pick one up for about 15000. Not sure what spec though.

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭Gitb1

The coupe is in another league to the hatch looks wise and from being inside they still have a decent amount of room in the back.

Be prepared to wait a while though, i ordered my Megane coupe last month and they told me I still have about 12 weeks of a wait till I get it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Cionád

I do prefer the look of the coupe alright but are they a bit girly or is that just my perception of them?

Girly shmerly, if you like it, get it!

Personally prefer the look of the Grande Megane, a bit more practical too, and the same price as the hatch.

Renault-New-Megane-Sport-Tourer-car-wallpaper.jpg

Renault wait times are outrageous at the moment I've heard.

Ye Renault waiting times are a bit crazy alright. I was told 12 - 14 weeks today. That's the end of May. Half the year would be nearly over. Surely that's part of the fun in having a new car.

• Advertisement

Random bump just to get a few more opinions.

Didn't get in to look at the Kia today, but hopefully Thursday.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭TheColl

are the megane and the pro_ceed the only cars you're lookin at? if so, i'd be goin for the pro_ceed, drove one myself back in october when i was lookin at cars and it was a very nice drive, and decent interior for the money. cant beat that warranty either!

They're the only 2 that I can stretch the budget too unfortunatly. A Ford Focus zetec would be my first choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,372 ✭✭✭BrianD3

There are also good scrappage deals on the Fiat Bravo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

I haven't looked a the details of the Kia warranty but is there much of a difference taking Renaults extended warranty into account, is there a limited mileage clause in the former ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

Ye Renault waiting times are a bit crazy alright. I was told 12 - 14 weeks today. That's the end of May. Half the year would be nearly over. Surely that's part of the fun in having a new car.

I'll get you one quicker ;)

Mods if thats a problem then just do what you gotta do :)

what about an i30?

Hyundai i30

Mito available for €14995 apparently

Mito

Or Fiat Bravo as suggested above.

Jip wrote: »
    I haven't looked a the details of the Kia warranty but is there much of a difference taking Renaults extended warranty into account, is there a limited mileage clause in the former ?

It's 150,000kms for Kia, 100,000kms with Renault

TheColl wrote: »
    what about an i30?

Hyundai i30

Mito available for €14995 apparently

Mito

Or Fiat Bravo as suggested above.

The Hyundai looks ok, but limited spec for my price range. The Mito gets a straight no.

I must look into this Fiat Bravo more. You get the impression when you go into garages that you must buy now. This is why I want to take my time and look around. Don't want to be pi**ed off with my new car in 6 months time.

Nah, the extended warranty for Renault is unlimited, the figures you give there are part of the standard 3 year one.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Is the extended Renault warranty not unlimited mileage?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,372 ✭✭✭BrianD3

According to this page, the Megane warranty can be extended to 5 years/unlimited mileage for 449 quid. It's 349 quid to extend to 5 years/100,000 kms
    http://www.renault.ie/images/services/warranty/LeafletFinal.pdf

Yep, my mistake. The extended warranty is unlimited mileage.

The Hyundai looks ok, but limited spec for my price range. The Mito gets a straight no.

I must look into this Fiat Bravo more. You get the impression when you go into garages that you must buy now. This is why I want to take my time and look around. Don't want to be pi**ed off with my new car in 6 months time.

yeh ur prob right about the specs... last thing you want is a new car with nothin to be excited about! what kind of spec wud u be lookin at on the megane?

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭ciaran75

Hi Macca,
    Am i correct in understanding you are getting the Megane Dynamique 1.5 dci 86bhp with metallic and deliver for 16,000 all in.

I am about to order one tomorrow but could only them down to 16,250.
    What garage is that with?

Thanks,

• Advertisement

Ciaran75

It's the Renault garage in Navan. Took a little bit of haggling but it was worth it. All in for €16000. Waiting time is 12-14 weeks though, but someone earlier in the thread said they could get one in quicker.

I still want to check out the Kia Proc'eed before I choose. It's got a lot of favourable reviews and looks kinda sportier. More power too, 106bhp. Pushes it to €156 for tax but that's still a lot better than €310 for the fiesta.

thanks for that, i'll give them a ring and see what they can do for me.

the guys in renault blanch say about 4 weeks but could have it as soon as 2 as apparently there is a huge shipment coming over now and the fact they sell so many they should get one no problem. well so he said anyway.

Ours better be on that shipment in 2 weeks ! That actually ties in with the date we were giving a while ago actually.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

You can get a diesel Leon for about 19k. Take scrappage into account and I'm sure it would come in close to budget...

just rang the guys in navan and spoke with enda

he gave me the same deal 16K all in for megane hatch dynamique 1.5dci delivery & metallic. he's also throwing in full tank of diesel and floor mats and should have it delivered within a week to 10 days.

all good. only another bit driving my heap of sh*t

cheers for the post macca, you should give him a ring.

Nice one, I take it your going with the scrappage scheme ?
    Although just to point out they come with floor mats as standard afaik anyway.

yeah, have an old citroen.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,723 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

One of the guys here at work landing his on 5th March, was waiting 12 weeks. But they must all be coming in at the same time!! :)

The Grande looks like a nice motor but the Coupe looks very nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,556 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Had a look at the estate yesterday - there is a surprising amount of legroom in the back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Rafloution

Ciaran did you get the extended warranty lumped into that too?

Advertisement