Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Help choosing a digital camera

• 23-02-2010 12:49am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭

Hello all,
    I go to gigs regularly and when I take pictures I have to use Night Mode/no flash because the band are usually too far away for the flash to be any use and the picture turns out darker (although in much better focus) when I use the flash anyway. When I use night mode however, I can't take pictures as quickly as I'd like. The camera seems to take a break of a few seconds between taking the photos.
    I am looking for a new camera now (digital compact, not professional) and want to be able to take pictures in night mode/no flash in quick succession.
    What specification should I look for that will let me do this?
    Thanks
    M

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭Dara Robinson

you best bet is to go into a camera shop like Birminghams or Conns and ask. while not sure, I would doubt that you will find anything in the compact range to be any good at that but worth asking

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

you can find a digital compact which will suit you - but you may be paying a good couple of hundred for it.

one that springs to mind is the canon g11 (Maybe I've been brainwashed by canon or something - I've never used it or never even handled it but its the latest canon compact and offers full control...I think)

• Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭rowanh

Check out the Canon s90, its similar to the G11 but more compact and cheaper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭Sebzy

rowanh wrote: »

The s90 is a nice camera but is left in the dust in relation to low light shooting by the new Fuji Finepix F200EXR

http://www.fujifilm.com/products/digital_cameras/f/finepix_f200exr/

and a quick price quote from elara.ie
    Canon €423 and Fuji €244

happy shopping

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Magenta

PCPhoto wrote: »
    you can find a digital compact which will suit you - but you may be paying a good couple of hundred for it.

one that springs to mind is the canon g11 (Maybe I've been brainwashed by canon or something - I've never used it or never even handled it but its the latest canon compact and offers full control...I think)
    rowanh wrote: »
    Sebzy wrote: »
    The s90 is a nice camera but is left in the dust in relation to low light shooting by the new Fuji Finepix F200EXR

http://www.fujifilm.com/products/digital_cameras/f/finepix_f200exr/

and a quick price quote from elara.ie
    Canon €423 and Fuji €244

happy shopping

Thanks for the recommendations but they are way outside my budget.
    My query is, which specification it is that I need to look for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭Sebzy

Magenta wrote: »
    Thanks for the recommendations but they are way outside my budget.
    My query is, which specification it is that I need to look for.

You want a fast lens such as f2.8 or below and ISO performance

ISO is a tricky one as I have a G10 and when shooting at 1SO1600 the images are rubbish but with a camera such as the the G11 the results are much much better. That being said the Fuji out preforms them both even thought it's lens is rated at f3.3-f9

What is your budget roughly ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 593 ✭✭✭davmigil

Would a second hand digital SLR be too bulky? Teamed up with a 50mm 1.8 you would have a good great gig combo. Even if you get a dSLR with a kit lens it should give better results than a compact.

Specifications you are looking at: fastest (ie largest aperature to let in the most light) and good high iso performance (noise vs sensitivity of sensor). If you are far away from the bands, reach will be an issue too (so you are looking at longer zooming). Combine fast/sensitive/long, you usually get €€€
    Maybe some kind of second hand bridge camera?

What is your budget?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭Elara: Kin

As Sebzy says, something with as low a f number as possible. You are not going to be able to take pictures without flash in your environment in "quick" succession, only full frame SLRs with a f1.2/1.4 lens will do that and they will be mega bucks. Problem is the camera will need to keep the shutter open for long enough to take in the light and that will be the delay between shots. Next problem with digital compacts is the buffer, I have never tried it myself on my compact but I can imagine you can't take that many in a row.

I don't think a compact would ever produce acceptable pictures really and as the others said a second hand SLR would be your best bet.

Advertisement