Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Petrucci or Vai?

• 23-02-2010 1:06am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭

Whos better?

Id have to say Petrucci beats the utter sh1t out of Vai, completely different class but id like to hear your opinions.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭-=al=-

Steven for me, I just never got into Petrucci at all!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Vai for me , but its not about whos better.
    Its about who you prefer.

To me Vai is a more interesting player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

but its not about whos better.
    Its about who you prefer.

Yeah, I guess youre right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭PeterIanStaker

I prefer Petrucci, but I havent listened to enough Vai to justify this really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭Sergio

Vai is certainly an amazing guitarist but im just not into him personally as i prefer JP,s tone and his style of playing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Demeyes

I'd have to go for JP on this one. Vai is great but a lot of his music bores me when he keeps going on and on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭Sandvich

Both are a little generic, to be honest. When I listened to the Jeff Beck album "Jeff", it had Jeff's take on that school of guitar and honestly he knocked the socks off all those Steve Vai type dudes. He actually made good, atmospheric songs on that album as well as just ****.

Steve Vai is a very cool guy though - I've heard that he always returns calls because of how hard it was for him to get return calls when he started out. His "Little Green Men" song is amazing too, the Zappa really rubbed off on him for that one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭Sandvich

Colinboy wrote: »
    Vai is certainly an amazing guitarist but im just not into him personally as i prefer JP,s tone and his style of playing.

Petrucci's tone doesn't sound like that live. That's because he's using a Dual Recs which are much fizzier live - most recorded tones on Dual Recs start off being very fizzy, nu-metal-ish at higher gain(Which can be a fun sound in of itself, especially with effects), they're nearly better at lower gain for Blues. Though honestly I often prefer his live tone despite not being a huge fan of Dual Recs anymore(The Mesa Mark series boosted did the metal thing much better, as do High gain Marshalls and Peaveys, even the SS ones like the Bandit and XXX), since it had a much rawer feel than the overly polished album tone.

A lot of the prog rock guys really like the "Polished" thing though. I've a friend online who I talk with a lot but he's coming from a very different school of thought with regards that. Big fan of the Line 6 stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭bazmaiden

I think that Vai is superior for his versatility (IMO!)

I mean the stuff on David Lee Roth's first album, Eat Em and Smile, with Steve and Billy Sheehan is incredible.

The solos in Big trouble and Ladie's night in Buffalo are just beautiful

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭Sergio

Sandvich wrote: »
    Petrucci's tone doesn't sound like that live. That's because he's using a Dual Recs which are much fizzier live - most recorded tones on Dual Recs start off being very fizzy, nu-metal-ish at higher gain(Which can be a fun sound in of itself, especially with effects), they're nearly better at lower gain for Blues. Though honestly I often prefer his live tone despite not being a huge fan of Dual Recs anymore(The Mesa Mark series boosted did the metal thing much better, as do High gain Marshalls and Peaveys, even the SS ones like the Bandit and XXX), since it had a much rawer feel than the overly polished album tone.

A lot of the prog rock guys really like the "Polished" thing though. I've a friend online who I talk with a lot but he's coming from a very different school of thought with regards that. Big fan of the Line 6 stuff.

Im afraid your wrong with regards petrucci,s tone both live and in the studio.He actually uses two Mesa Mark IV heads and a mesa lonestar for his cleans.He recently started using the new Mesa mark V in his rig also and used it to record some of the stuff from DT,s last album and in the last tour.
    If you check out his rig in his home page it will give you alist of everything he uses in his setup.:)

• Advertisement
Advertisement