Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beware Of Clothes Charities

Options
  • 23-02-2010 1:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭

Cleaned out my car and put stuff in large green bin bags to be sorted later,but to my horror these clothes collecters took them,I had my digi camera,mobile, satnav handbags jackets toys and other stuff I know I will remember as the days go on in the bags.Reported it but Gardai reckon they are well gone:(
    These bags were in an alcove and couldn't be seen from the street only when you approached the door.They did leave their sticker to say the will be back on wednesday:mad:
    Maybe for the chargers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Clodagh84

OH MY, I am so sorry to hear that.

If there is a number on the sticker they left, or some other contact info, try calling them to let them know they took the wrong bag.

They may realise that it`s not stuff that someone would be donating to charity, and may bring it back.

Your other option is to keep an eye out for them when they return, and bring their attention to your quandry.
    And if you`re friendly with your neighbours, tell them so that if you aren`t around when those charity folk are back around, they can ask them about your stuff for you.

Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

how long did u leave it there for, there should be a mobile number on the sticker so you should call that.

i would have thought that leaving all that stuff outdoors with the current weather conditions is a bit mad imo,leaving electrical equipment out in the cold and frost isn't good for it!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

I think they leave an 085 number on their sticker, ring it and maybe they will return the items hopefully

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭Bettyboop

bags were there for approx. 6hrs in a dry alcove just beneath the gas outlet which blows out hot air.I was going to ring the mobile no but it has 11 digits.Gardai reckon I will never see them items again.Lesson learned:(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

PM'd the number 10 digits

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭cuddlycavies

Topic of these people has been covered on here before. The people are NOT charities. They are literally taking bread from poor peoples mouths for their own gain. And people who consistently encourage them are responsible for your belongings being stolen from your property.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Blandpebbles

Playing Devil's Advocate here -

Shouldn't this thread be called 'beware of putting your electricial goods in a same coloured bag as a charity, outside your house'?

Seems like an honest mistake on the Charities part.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭cuddlycavies

Except that they're not honest and not a charity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 367 ✭✭I Drink It Up!

Except that they're not honest and not a charity.

Precisely. And I bet they ain't Irish either.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

Precisely. And I bet they ain't Irish either.

Please refrain from making statements like that unless you have evidence to back it up.

• Advertisement

http://ocaoimh.ie/do-not-delay-how-to-spot-a-fake-charity-flyer/

"that page points out that donotdelay.org redirects to nedelsk.lt, which asks for donations to be sent to this bank account in Vilnius, Lithuania.......There’s a phone number too, 0044-28-3084-9971, which is a UK number and not exactly encouraging for an Irish person"

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭itsallaboutme!!

There was a piece on tv a while ago now about these new "charities" that put those stickers in letterboxes saying they will be back on what ever day.

As with everything there are genuine and bogie ones around. The piece said to watch out for spelling mistakes,mobile phone numbers with extra or missing digits and also look out for the charity registered number. If i remember correctly from it they said that all charities must have a registered number and its the best way to ensure its a genuine cause. As with everything there should be contact details on the label that you can make contact with someone to verify the charity and if in doubt dont use the label take the stuff to a charity shop instead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Blandpebbles

Frankly I am shocked at the level of racism in this thread.

Sorry you had stuff taken but there is no need for the subsequent messages.

There was a piece on tv a while ago now about these new "charities" that put those stickers in letterboxes saying they will be back on what ever day.

As with everything there are genuine and bogie ones around. The piece said to watch out for spelling mistakes,mobile phone numbers with extra or missing digits and also look out for the charity registered number. If i remember correctly from it they said that all charities must have a registered number and its the best way to ensure its a genuine cause. As with everything there should be contact details on the label that you can make contact with someone to verify the charity and if in doubt dont use the label take the stuff to a charity shop instead.

On one occasion myself and a friend were waiting in our porch and one of these guys came around handing the stuff out. He saw us, in the porch...and made like Dionne Warwick and just walked on by. Never attempted to deliver the leaflet. Clearly the guy had something to hide.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

This thread is going to a dark place and needs to be stopped.

Its been discussed many times before also.

Locked.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement