Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Window insulation film?

• 23-02-2010 2:31am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭

Window insulation film http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Window_insulation_film

Does it actually work, has anyone used it?

Wondering how do you clean windows with it on, or remove it, and does it cut out much light?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 PatcyMcl

You can reflect heat away from the windows in summer but thats not too great in winter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

I think the idea is that it also creates a mini vaccum layer between the film and the window, thus an insulation effect.

http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/WindowInsulatorKits/Products/

I dunno if its bogus or not. Or will we have problems removing it etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Doctor_L

Hi,

I used an infrared laser thermometer to analyse my windows and discovered that in general the glass is fine.

The major heat loss occurs around the seals where the window opens and the frame.

I would recommend checking out your windows to identify if you have the same problem. If you do then adding further insulation to your glass will do nothing to remedy the problem.

Liam

How do you determine that the class is fine?

How did you improve the seals?

The film seems popular in Canada and similar

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Doctor_L

Hi,

If the glass temp on a cold night is 12 - 13 degrees and above then it should be ok.

If your frame and seals are reading below 9 degrees then you may have issues.

Liam

• Advertisement

Ok thanks for that.

Advertisement