Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

WATER!

• 23-02-2010 3:48am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭

Is it just me or do other people notice that the difference both physically and mentally, in your appearance, in how well you feel, your alertness, your mind etc etc etc is just hugely better when you are making sure you drink alot of water. When I say alot I mean just above RDA so around 2.5 to 3 litres daily.

I think the majority of people dont really bother with water, they might have an odd glass here and there and the rest of their intake is in the form of tea, coffee, juice etc. When I dont consciously try to get my 3 litres a day I end up having little or no water. But I am always just a little shocked at the differences in myself between the times when I am drinking alot of water and when I'm not. Anyone else notice this? I'd be of the opinion that a great starting point for anyone trying to begin a healthy lifestyle etc etc is to start loading up on water, along with all the other stuff. Anyway....

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭Barry.Oglesby

Absolutely. The thing I'm most guilty of is not drinking enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Never seen or felt any benefit of drinking more water than I feel like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭TommyKnocker

Hi There

I have read numerous times over the years that the color of your urine and frequency of urination is a good indicator of your level of hydration.

Most of what I have read on the subject states that your urine should be a very pale yellow color and you should need to urinate every hour or so. This is the guide I adhere to. And if I find that my frequency increases or that my urine is clear rather then pale yellow color, then I back of the water a bit.

I also don't consider it as "Water" intake but rather "Fluid" intake and I would count green teas, the milk in protein shakes along with the water I drink. So over the course of a typical day I would consume around 3L-4L of fluids. However only around half of this would be from plain water.

There is such a thing as drinking too much water, and drinking too much water, especially if consumed over a short period of time can have adverse effects on the body, as it can dillute the sodium levels in the body. Although it is not easily done, it's still posible. Google Water intoxication or hyponatremia.

Best Regards,

M

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭gaoife

I drink lots of water during the week in work but then when the weekend comes i always forget.
    i often find that i'll get intense headaches and i know this is from not drinking as much water as usual.
    I also think that the more you drink (to a certain level) the more your body craves it ie if someone drinks none they wont miss it but if they are used to drinking it then the body will let you know when it requires more

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,114 ✭✭✭corkcomp

absolutely . better skin, more energy, more stamina and lots of other benefits. the average punter need not worry about hyponatremia considering most people I know rearely drink any water and get maybe 1L of fluids a day from tea / coffee / milk / pints!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 393 ✭✭beegirl

Yes absolutely! I am currently one of those people corkcomp just described, get around a litre of fluids a day, mostly made up of tea (and it isn't green tea!) :o

But once upon a time I drank the right amount of water (2+ litres) for about a week and I really noticed the difference - I literally hopped out of bed in the morning, as opposed to my usual waking up feeling almost drunk with tiredness. Don't know why I stopped!!! I just really hate drinking water, and peeing all the time is very annoying!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭O.P.H

Ya I also find that when you're in the mode of drinkin alot of water you dont eat crap food from snackin cause the water acts as a type of appetite supressor and you are more inclined to go for the healthy options.

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Red Cortina

beegirl wrote: »
    Yes absolutely! I am currently one of those people corkcomp just described, get around a litre of fluids a day, mostly made up of tea (and it isn't green tea!) :o

But once upon a time I drank the right amount of water (2+ litres) for about a week and I really noticed the difference - I literally hopped out of bed in the morning, as opposed to my usual waking up feeling almost drunk with tiredness. Don't know why I stopped!!! I just really hate drinking water, and peeing all the time is very annoying!
    Apparently if you put some Himalayian sea salt in your water it prevents you peeing so much!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,519 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Apparently if you put some Himalayian sea salt in your water it prevents you peeing so much!

Salty water is nasty though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

During training I could drink up to litre of water and those days I drink about 2.5-3 litres per day.

On days I dont go gym I drink about 1.5 litres a day i guess.

Water is a must I think. Since I cut out fizzy drinks my appearance is much better. Also i eat more fruit then used too also. Buth those help to make you look better, no question.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Red Cortina

kowloon wrote: »
    Salty water is nasty though.
    I have to say that I've gone to the shop and I've bought that Himalayian sea salt stuff but have never actually used it! I reckon if I increase my water intake by much more I might have to give it a try though...

Adding salt to water will make you pee more, which is why you never drink sea water.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

I'm definitely a fan of lots of water, I find my concentration's a lot better when I'm properly hydrated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,738 ✭✭✭Naos

I drink a lot of water however seem to have a constant thirst most of the time.

Bit annoying really!

Ciaran500 wrote: »
    Adding salt to water will make you pee more, which is why you never drink sea water.

TBH my reasons for not drinking sea water have nothing to do with frequency of urination :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭lubie76

Have tried to do the 2 litre a day thing before for a couple of days and the only difference it made was I was needing to use the loo more often. Made no difference to my energy levels, skin, concentration.

The only time I actually get thirsty is during a workout where I always drink plenty or when I'm severely hungover. You can measure the severity of your drinking session by your ability to keep water down the next day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭TommyKnocker

corkcomp wrote: »
    TBH my reasons for not drinking sea water have nothing to do with frequency of urination :P

I LOL'ed at this :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭Barry.Oglesby

Wow.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭bubblyone

beegirl wrote: »

I hop out of bed in the morning too now that I drink more...but not so much increased energy as bursting!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,519 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Naos wrote: »
    I drink a lot of water however seem to have a constant thirst most of the time.

Bit annoying really!

One of the early symptoms of developing diabetes.
    Get your blood glucose checked.

• Advertisement

Wow.

Ok, obviously excluding during times of exertion when you need the sodium. But adding salt to your normal drinking water isn't a good idea.

Ok, obviously excluding during times of exertion when you need the sodium. But adding salt to your normal drinking water isn't a good idea.

I dont think Barry was saying salt should be added to water? Who wants to be drinking salty water anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭solway

I find that an easy way of geting 3 litres of water a day is drink a litre driving to work, drink a litre on the way home from work, a pint with your workout and a pint with your dinner. JOB DONE:)

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭beefjerky

I have been drinking more water for the last 3 weeks (started excersizing again), going from minimal, literally a glass in the morning and that was it really, didn't drink much tea or anything, now I am drinking 2.5 - 4 litres a day and it is great. Better skin, sleeping better and much more alert for a whole days work rather than just until lunchtime! I keep a 1litre sports bottle on my desk and it's a habit now, good times for the kidneys :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 859 ✭✭✭BobbyOLeary

beefjerky wrote: »
    I have been drinking more water for the last 3 weeks (started excersizing again), going from minimal, literally a glass in the morning and that was it really, didn't drink much tea or anything, now I am drinking 2.5 - 4 litres a day and it is great. Better skin, sleeping better and much more alert for a whole days work rather than just until lunchtime! I keep a 1litre sports bottle on my desk and it's a habit now, good times for the kidneys :)

That's what I notice the most. I sleep an awful lot better when I up my water intake.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭SeekUp

I do notice a difference when I drink more water, although it's most noticeable in my skin.

Advertisement