Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heavy Snow - Midlands, West, North 5 - 15cm+

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭snowjon

Hi all,

Been trying to snow here outside Enniskillen for the past hour or so, some flakes blowing about in the wind - wouldn't call it "snowing" though!! Any of the flakes which have hit ground have melted on impact!!

I will report here if things improve!! :D

At least you have snow! It's sleet here at best :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭wild handlin

snowjon wrote: »
    At least you have snow! It's sleet here at best :rolleyes:

Oh dear, well I doubt it's goin to get much heavier here to be honest. Been a few flakes floating round in the wind - none of whoch are sticking to the ground.
    Mine you - still have snow here from last week's 6 1/2 inch down-pour in 4 hours!! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Not

On way back up form Cork this evening, I stopped in Port Laoise for half an hour, leaving there a little over an hour ago. As I was there the heavy sleet I had been driving through for the previous hour which had showed no signs of sticking on the roads, turned to snow and started accumulating quickly on the roads, even on the M7. A few miles north, it was back to non stick sleet, and nearer Dublin rain. It seems the blue on the radar is rain/sleet, and the yellow is snow capable of accumulation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,906 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

gerry murphy just committed to milder weather next week. it's interesting he committed to it so far out. i wonder will that mean milder due to a hp sitting over us or milder due to the jet stream pushing back up over us??

anyways it looks game over for lieing snow here tonight, as the heavier precipitation seem to be more to the north midlands and is now pushing north.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,121 ✭✭✭John mac

irish1967 wrote: »
    Very light here also. But all I wanted was 1 flake and I got it. Very small and I called him Bosco in memory of Eugene Lambert who died today ! :)

Quick break out the cam again. Get the flood lights on. :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

gerry murphy just committed to milder weather next week. it's interesting he committed to it so far out. i wonder will that mean milder due to a hp sitting over us or milder due to the jet stream pushing back up over us??

anyways it looks game over for lieing snow here tonight, as the heavier precipitation seem to be more to the north midlands and is now pushing north.

This is not having a go at Met Eireann as I have a lot of respect for them. They have given longer range predictions in the past only for things to change and it is indeed interesting Gerry Murphy committed to it so early.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

its snowing at old trafford!lovely snow there!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Lol. Been here on the iPhone for the past 2 hours. No cam I'm afraid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Started here as well, only pathetic little thinks that barely class as snowflakes but at least its a start:D

Min wrote: »
    This is not having a go at Met Eireann as I have a lot of respect for them. They have given longer range predictions in the past only for things to change and it is indeed interesting Gerry Murphy committed to it so early.

he has access to data we can't see so he must see some sign of things changing, but one thing is for sure he wouldn't commit to it getting colder this far out based on one run.

• Advertisement

Harps wrote: »
    Started here as well, only pathetic little thinks that barely class as snowflakes but at least its a start:D

Been the same here for the past 2 hours or so in Enniskillen!! :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Not

Did Naas or Newbridge see snow out of that precip band, or was it only Port Laoise ? There seems to a suspicious lack of snow reports from areas north of Port Laoise.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Not wrote: »
    Did Naas or Newbridge see snow out of that precip band, or was it only Port Laoise ? There seems to a suspicious lack of snow reports from areas north of Port Laoise.

Sleet when I was looking out about half an hour ago, Il stick the head out now

Newbridge got nothing but sleet and rain

Very light small sleet here now. Can still see the moon so cloud really hasn't reached here at all yet.

Very light small sleet here now. Can still see the moon so cloud really hasn't reached here at all yet.

Not really much to reach you irish1967 by the looks of what we got here in Enniskillen. Looked out there, and it's now raining with some snow-flakes thrown in!! :(

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,927 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

the heavy rain of the past few hours has just turned back to sleet here with the odd very wet snowflake coming out of it. If it does turn back to full snow not a chance of it sticking, everywhere is soaking wet and partily flooded.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭IrishHomer

Gonzo wrote: »
    the heavy rain of the past few hours has just turned back to sleet here with the odd very wet snowflake coming out of it. If it does turn back to full snow not a chance of it sticking, everywhere is soaking wet and partily flooded.

anything is possible.

You obviously don't remember Paddys eve night in the 1980's?

I went to bed on a night exactly like this one with pissing heavy rain and no mention on the forecasts of snow.

Next morning got up early to see a full blown blizzard with 3ft drifts and roads cut offf!

I foget which year exactly but i think it was about 1980

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭elainee40

Pic of snow in portlaoise at about 8.30 this evening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Heyes

IrishHomer wrote: »
    anything is possible.

You obviously don't remember Paddys eve night in the 1980's?

I went to bed on a night exactly like this one with pissing heavy rain and no mention on the forecasts of snow.

Next morning got up early to see a full blown blizzard with 3ft drifts and roads cut offf!

I foget which year exactly but i think it was about 1980

I'd love if it was like that when i got up. At the moment its soaking wet outside after all the rain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Quail

Some comments on radar coverage suggest that people need to be careful when viewing the scans.
    1. The radar signal in its original form is an analog signal so there can and are noticeable differences between adjacent radar sites at the interface region. Further information is required if you are to conclude which radar site is "correct" i.e. its raining in the interface region and one radar reports rainfall and the other doesn't.
    2. When the Irish data is fed to the UK network it can be "adjusted" to give incorrect data. This can be seen today if you compare the UK radar data for 1630 on the UKMO site with the Met.ie site for 1630 where there are no red echoes but are on the UK network.
    3. Always use radar data with caution and use other information before concluding anything.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭Vizual Pics

Snow in Mayo has been abit of a non event, not living up to the predictions from charts/Met E, etc...it seems to have drifted further east than was expected? Cant see it swinging back into the Northwest now at this stage....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

Yesssssssssssssssssssssss!

Those here all day knows what that means :):):)
    congrats irish1967,long day for u,hope its works out to b a good event for uz all,rain here all nite:mad:

Donegal here complete non event so far. Just light spitting rain. At this stage it would appear that all sources except the accuweather app on my phone were wrong and not just slightly. :(

light sleet here now. a non event really. as there was never any heavy snow at any stage here. i hope those further north get some decent falls overnight.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭faktisperminute

I live 15 min away from knock airport got nothing special so far had a light sleet shower for 30 min then stopped is that all? :confused::eek:

I live 15 min away from knock airport got nothing special far had a light sleet shower for 30 min then stopped is that it? :confused::eek:

knock airport is suppose to have a nice covering but then again it's 600 foot above sea level. this situation is certainly a letdown compared to the snow we got to end the so called "big freeze", which was meant to turn quickly back to rain.
    i had 13 hours of snow that day!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭djhaxman

Snowing hard here in Monaghan and has been for the last 90 mins or so. Ground nicely covered.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭faktisperminute

knock airport is suppose to have a nice covering but then again it's 600 foot above sea level. this situation is certainly a letdown compared to the snow we got to end the so called "big freeze", which was meant to turn quickly back to rain.
    i had 13 hours of snow that day!
    same here , yeah it was great !:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭snow ghost

I have to say this was personally the most disappointing non-event of non-events. :(

That said I still keep the faith that Mother nature could turn around and suprise me at any moment... so my glass remains half-full - even if it is half-full of bloody rain water! :)

• Advertisement

snow ghost wrote: »
    I have to say this was personally the most disappointing non-event of non-events. :(

That said I still keep the faith that Mother nature could turn around and suprise me at any moment... so my glass remains half-full - even if it is half-full of bloody rain water! :)

+1

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement