Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bomb

• 23-02-2010 9:05am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭

Since no one was injured I`m sure it ok to write this -

There was a bomb in Newry outside the court house at half ten last night. I have been saying to people this was going to happen for a while. A bomb that kills no one but will make people afraid to go across the border to shop how convienient.

Is it plausable that our Government a) did this or b) stirred up trouble for this objective although given the area I`d be sceptical of this or c) the orders are all coming from the same place anyway....

Anyone else knew this was going to happen?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

Seriously???

C

http://breakingnews.ie/ireland/bomb-contained-up-to-800lb-of-explosives-447397.html

lead off witha link ;) makes the thing easier ta follow:)

http://breakingnews.ie/ireland/dissident-republicans-blamed-for-courthouse-car-bomb-447324.html
    Dissident republicans were blamed for a car bomb attack at a court in the North last night.

Police said it was a ’miracle’ no one was injured in the explosion outside Newry courthouse in Co Down shortly after 10.30pm.

The main gates were badly damaged in the explosion, which was within walking distance of restaurants and bars.

Police were still evacuating the scene when it detonated.

Two coded bomb warnings were received at a local hospital and business around 30 minutes before the device went off

Police Service of Northern Ireland area commander Chief Inspector Sam Cordiner condemned those responsible.

“It is only by sheer miracle that nobody was killed or injured,” he said.

The vehicle was reversed into the security gates of the court before being abandoned.

The area remained cordoned off early this morning as Army bomb disposal experts checked for other devices.

MP for the area, Sinn Féin’s Conor Murphy heard the blast while in his home more than four miles way.

“We can only be thankful that at this stage it appears nobody has been injured,” he said at the scene.

“The people responsible have absolutely nothing to offer the community except the prospect of a return to the past.

“A lot of good people have worked long and hard to develop Newry over the last 10 years and this will be a major blow to the city. The community will be despairing tonight but they will be determined not to let this beat them.”

The car bombing is the latest in a string of attacks by a minority of violent republican extremists intent on destabilising the peace process.

It came only three days after a failed mortar bomb attack at a police station in the nearby village of Keady, Co Armagh and weeks after the region’s main political parties – Sinn Féin and the Democratic Unionists – struck a landmark deal on policing devolution that saved the fragile powersharing executive from possible collapse.

Last March, dissidents gunned down two soldiers at Massereene army barracks, Antrim. Two days later they shot dead police constable Stephen Carroll in Craigavon, Co Armagh as he answered a call for help.

In January this year a Catholic police officer was seriously injured when a booby trap bomb exploded under his car in Co Antrim while a number of police stations have been shot at in recent weeks.

Northern Ireland Secretary Shaun Woodward said: “This is an act of senseless violence by a small handful of people who refuse to accept the people’s overwhelming support for the peace process.

“The best message that could be sent to them is a powerful rejection of violence through the completion of devolution.

“On March 9 Northern Ireland’s politicians in the assembly can send the unanimous message in the cross community vote, politics is the way forward and that the small number of dissident criminals will never be given the opportunity to turn back the success of the peace process.”
    end

Democratic Unionist member of the Northern Ireland Policing Board Peter Weir said the dissidents represented no right minded individuals.

“The shocking news of the car bomb tonight outside Newry Courthouse is a reminder of the depravity and cruel disregard for human life of dissident republicans,” he said.

“These people care little for human life in their evil quest to drag us back to the past. It is both a reminder of the serious threat that they continue to pose, and of the need to continue to make political progress and continue to build a stable Northern Ireland. These people have no mandate and represent only a commitment to a terrorist past that we had all hoped to leave behind in Northern Ireland.

“Government must take a tough stance against these violent dinosaurs, and continue to commit every resource necessary in the fight against these evil people.

“Dissidents are also clearly threatened by the political progress made at Hillsborough, and it is vital that we isolate them by all parties showing leadership by backing a progressive way forward. It is also vital that the community as a whole help stamp out their activities once and for all by giving the police full co-operation and information on this terrible crime.”

SDLP Assembly member for the area Dominic Bradley, who lives only two miles from the blast site, condemned the bombers.

“We could easily have been looking at serious casualties or worse this evening and it is no credit at all to the bombers that as far as is known there were no injuries,” he said.

“People are saying that they got enough of this sort of thing during the Provo (Provisional IRA) campaign, it was wrong and senseless then and it is wrong now.

“They are very angry and they want the people responsible taken out of circulation and brought to justice.”

Ulster Unionist deputy leader Danny Kennedy said: “It’s a mercy and miracle there were no injuries or lives lost, either security force members, court service staff or local residents.”

The Newry and Armagh MLA said the attack was evidence of a deteriorating security situation and called for a harder line police approach.

“The softly, softly approach taken by police in nationalist and republican areas clearly isn’t working because dissident republicans are filling that policing vacuum,” said Mr Kennedy.

Read more: http://breakingnews.ie/ireland/dissident-republicans-blamed-for-courthouse-car-bomb-447324.html#ixzz0gMLyIDXw

where in that article doe it say what it says in the headline????

its conjecture, the word Dissident and Republican are bandied about a bit much I think, they seem to be trying to link 3 different incidents by unrelated individuals into one sub category of bogeymen, as a sort of conditioned response

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

but why would our government want to do that and stop shoppers crossing the border to shop...
    as according to the other thread here.. our government ministers have shares in newry shopping centre..

both cant be true...

both COULD be true;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

THe only reason I could see inside involvement would be to strengthen the cause for introducing cross border "smart card" ID and further increase ANPR surveillance both sides of the border.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭Dirty Dave

Or maybe.... just maybe.... It actually was dissident republicans?

Consider the following:

1.Republicans and dissident republicans have a history of blowing things up.

2. They often go after economic targets, such as major shopping hubs like Newry.

3. Republicans and dissident republicans have a history of blowing things up.

I'm not saying 100% that any of you are wrong in your theories, but considering the history of the area and the stated aims of the individuals and organisations that operate there, do you not think it is significantly more likely that it is the work of a dissident group?

Or does everything of note have to be a government conspiracy? I too suspected that dissident republicans would carry out bomb attacks, but thats because they have done so many times in the past. Very recently too.

Its like saying "I knew the sun would rise in the east, so now that it is happened, it proves my theory about the sun being a government invention to distract the sheeple from their true plans!"

Nobody was surprised by this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭theg81der

sheeple ha ha can I use that? i love it

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,225 ✭✭✭Yitzhak Rabin

What resources would the government use to do it?

Would they do it themselves, sent money to the RA?

Nothing about this theory makes sense.

I'll tell you a real conspiracy though. I've heard rumors that EOD officers, that they have been warned in the last year or so to expect a surge in dissedent IRA activities, and that the government, both north and south had struck a deal with the media to keep it quiet, so as not to cause alarm, or give the RA heads what they want, a bit of coverage. That was before the shooting at the barracks last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭Torakx

Looks to me a little like the governments in europe need the IRA if they want to get a tighter hold on the country and keep it under control.
    No resistance, no rational need to increase "national security".
    Also i wonder what the motive was behind this latest car bomb.Was the aim of the opperation to take out a fence? Or kill random people?

If it is the IRA then i would love to know the reason a car bomb outside a courthouse is better for there cause than say a car bomb in a more strategical place.So it doesnt add up to me so far unless i missed something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭theg81der

Live near border so was aware there was some stir but thats to be expected with the economic crisis. Things go quiet when theres money about.

Just I feel it doesn`t fit some how.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

http://breakingnews.ie/ireland/dissident-republicans-blamed-for-courthouse-car-bomb-447324.html

where in that article doe it say what it says in the headline????

its conjecture, the word Dissident and Republican are bandied about a bit much I think, they seem to be trying to link 3 different incidents by unrelated individuals into one sub category of bogeymen, as a sort of conditioned response

Where are you living at the moment? Because if you were around here you'd know it's not the cops linking the different perps together. I'm getting a horrible feeling about all this and this time "The Brits" can't be blamed.

To the OP, all through the troubles there were bombs with warnings. Hell the Omagh Bombing was warned about but the stupid ****ers gave the wrong location. Bombs to blow **** up and make a statement is a big part of their tactics and always has been.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Torakx wrote: »
    Looks to me a little like the governments in europe need the IRA if they want to get a tighter hold on the country and keep it under control.
    No resistance, no rational need to increase "national security".
    Also i wonder what the motive was behind this latest car bomb.Was the aim of the opperation to take out a fence? Or kill random people?

If it is the IRA then i would love to know the reason a car bomb outside a courthouse is better for there cause than say a car bomb in a more strategical place.So it doesnt add up to me so far unless i missed something.

Did you ever hear of the Troubles before? Most bombs were accompanied by warnings, it's to "make a statement" that they can do what they want. The Omagh Bombing had a warning but it was incorrect because the lads couldn't find a parking space where they were meant to. Where were they meant to park? Oh yeah, outside the courthouse.
    At a guess I'd say they were showing that they refuse to recognise the UK legal system or some other such rubbish.

Advertisement