Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How can friends and family help?

Options
  • 23-02-2010 10:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭

My SO is in the early days of quitting cold turkey. Naturally, I want to help - but I'm wondering what is the best way to help, seeing as he expects to be a bit moody for a while. So, for those of you who have given up, how did family and friends help and/or, what didn't help at all?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16 N.Dynamite

I'm on my 9th day cold turkey. Admittedly I have been a little snappy and impatient but your right, it's to be expected. The best thing you can do is ignore the little outbursts and just give a wide berth, sometimes we don't even realise were doing it. It really gives me a boost when I'm asked how I'm doing and congratulated on the effort. A 'Well done you' works wonders, shows your support and adds a bit of encouragement. Worst thing you can do is encourage him to have a cig if his mood gets too much to bear! Best of luck to him, I know how he feels!!!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Patience. He will be cranky. Bear with him. Don't go pointing out the benefits - he knows them already. We all know them. He knows his reasons for quitting - you probably don't. Just be patient with his crankiness. It will pass - and his short fuse will get longer. And the immediate shortness will be worth it in the long term.

Point him towards this thread. I'm not being vain here - it's an honest log of my quitting. It's not easy - I'm nearly 2 months now and it's still not easy. But reading another addicts log may help. It may not help - in which case I disclaim all responsibility. But if it does help I claim the soul of your first-born child :D

Advertisement