Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cable modem input connection

• 23-02-2010 10:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭

Hi, I've been driven demented hooking my ADSL wireless router up to my non-wireless cable modem. I've had some success but not anymore and it appears I'm farting against thunder, see here http://www.face.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054981219. So I'm going to save my sanity by either replacing the ADSL wireless router with a plain old wireless router or replacing both with a wireless cable router.
    But initial shopping around on the web appears to indicate that all the cable modems I've seen so far have rj45 input, while my (UPC) modem has a co-ax cable. Am I missing something or can I convert the co-ax to rj45?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭neilthefunkeone

Just get a standard router.. Your UPC cable modem has an RJ45 output which you plug your router into.. Am i right?
    Is this all your looking for?

I have an old netgear..
    netgear_wgr614_wireless_router.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

You cannot replace your cable modem. These need to be provisioned by the provider. All you need is a wireless router, as an ADSL modem/router is the wrong kit for what you're trying to do too.

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭souter

I'll get a vanilla router so. I'll put a swap offer up.

ok, I'm getting more confused. All the routers I can find for sale currently are described as either ADSL or cable routers. Would something like this F5D7234uk4-H 54G or this Wireless 54g Cable Router work connected to the UPC supplied cable modem?
    Or do I have to hunt down some older gear 2nd hand?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,308 ✭✭✭pizzahead77

souter wrote: »
    ok, I'm getting more confused. All the routers I can find for sale currently are described as either ADSL or cable routers. Would something like this F5D7234uk4-H 54G or this Wireless 54g Cable Router work connected to the UPC supplied cable modem?
    Or do I have to hunt down some older gear 2nd hand?

What you need is called a "cable router" exactly like the Belkin in that link but I'd suggest staying away from them - try Netgear, D-Link or Linksys instead.

The Belkin routers are not the most reliable/user-friendly devices available

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

What you need is called a "cable router" exactly like the Belkin in that link but I'd suggest staying away from them - try Netgear, D-Link or Linksys instead.
    it doesn't need to be a cable router specifically, there are a lot of routers which would be labelled as a "broadband router" which will work with either ADSL or cable broadband connections.

the first one that springs to mind is the linksys wrt54g, mainly because I've been using them for years with both adsl and cable connections and they're great.

BUT anything that's labelled as a cable router or broadband router should do you fine. basically, pretty much any router with an ethernet WAN port should do the job.

I went and ordered this yoke

Advertisement