Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

% of so called 'gamers' who quit

Options
  • 23-02-2010 10:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭

FIFA 10 - xbox 360

Hi guys, I don't play FIFA online that regularly, but a little more recently. I was playing over the weekend and 3 out of 4 opponents quit before the end of the game, as they were losing.

Obviously that's 75% quit rate, granted only over 4 games, but what's other peoples experience when playing random online matches?

At that rate, I'm just going to stick with private online leagues between mates.

Cheers.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

Loads of people quit all the time! i stopped playing online altogether because of it. The punishment is not severe enough to stop people from doing it either. There'll always be sore losers... i'd lose more than i win online but i never quit, i'm too stubborn!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

3 out of 4? Its par for the course really.

I've started to always send abuse to them now, just because if they get abuse every time they quit, they may stop running away like a little b!tch, and actually finish their games. It really ruins online play.

I had one lad who quit, in his bio he had "12-11-2009 - the day I score a corner against <some gamertag> and he quit like a fag". Pot. Kettle.

I think the old Pro Evos had no quit game option and it did help. The problem with EA is they actually promote ways to piss people off (celebrations, making quitting so easy). I mean, you can quit, and hop straight back into the team selection screen within 10 seconds. Somethings not right there. Don't they actually play online themselves?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,175 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Moon

What about the fact they have an achievement for quitting 5 games!! That's just ridiculous, granted you get 0 points for it but still!! FOR SHAME FIFA!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭Enigma IE

Rooney10 wrote: »
    The problem with EA is they actually promote ways to piss people off (celebrations, making quitting so easy).

I do enjoy somersault celebrations after most goals, it's part of the game, but I can see why people could get annoyed. However, it's upto them NOT to concede goals and score some of their own.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

i wasn't able to get my xbox online for a month or so and last night I played my first few games of fifa online in well.. a month or so. First game, bastard quits after a 4-3 match in extra time, second game bastard quits after a 2-1 match at 80 odd minutes, third match was played to completion but I lost 4-2 :/

the fourth match quit about ten minutes in, which was weird.. but I found it difficult to get upset at that one

• Advertisement

Enigma IE wrote: »
    I do enjoy somersault celebrations after most goals, it's part of the game, but I can see why people could get annoyed. However,it's upto them NOT to concede goals and score some of their own.

They are just designed to annoy people. Nothing worse than when you skip the celebrations, replays, etc...... but your opponent insists on running around like an idiot for 20 seconds and watching all 3 replays.

I don't mind the finishing moves or whatever, but its this "lets run around for 20 secs holding my face, sshing, arms down by the side, aeroplane, hand to the ear, fingers pointing down dancing while running" business that annoys me. Its purely designed to piss your opponent off.

I'd really like the option of playing online without celebrations and against people who have a DNF % of less than 5%, and see the quit game option removed so its not made easy for quitters.

They are just designed to annoy people. Nothing worse than when you skip the celebrations, replays, etc...... but your opponent insists on running around like an idiot for 20 seconds and watching all 3 replays.

I don't mind the finishing moves or whatever, but its this "lets run around for 20 secs holding my face, sshing, arms down by the side, aeroplane, hand to the ear, fingers pointing down dancing while running" business that annoys me. Its purely designed to piss your opponent off.

I'd really like the option of playing online without celebrations and against people who have a DNF % of less than 5%, and see the quit game option removed so its not made easy for quitters.

It's a very valid point you make. They should limit celebrations to 5 seconds and 1 replay.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

In my opinion, FIFA players are the worst group of players to play against, both online and live. Unless I need practice, I don't play ranked games anymore as inevitably, you will end up with a tw"t of an opponent 8 times out of 10.

EA have alot to answer for too with an easy way to quit a ranked match and an achievement for doing so :rolleyes:

The only matches I ever finish anymore are the ones I lose. If it wasn't for the fact we have a fecking brilliant league on boards, I wouldn't be playing at all.

Played a friend of a friend last night, Chelsea v Liverpool. Very nice guy, but highly frustrating to play against. Pretty much played 8-0-2 and everytime I tried to break, he'd hack me down. Received messages later about how a few of his goals were lucky...which suggests he thinks thats the way the game should be played!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭Crazyivan 1979

I have actually had to quit a fair amount of games (Pro Evo Xbox 360), but this is usually within the first 30 secs of the game, due to the connection icon being green, then the match starts and it goes straight to red and significant lag starts to drive me mad. Although it's been alot better recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭tiernanmul_gos

i agree many players quit.ive taken many a thumping but i still dont leave the thing you should do i search for a game with 10% DNF and it should help.

• Advertisement

i agree many players quit.ive taken many a thumping but i still dont leave the thing you should do i search for a game with 10% DNF and it should help.

It doesn't really. You end up just getting stuck with the lads who quit when they are losing, but just haven't reached higher than 10% yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭bonescap

So frustrating when u score in the 1st couple of minutes and the other players quits and u dont even get the win

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Mr Moon wrote: »
    What about the fact they have an achievement for quitting 5 games!! That's just ridiculous, granted you get 0 points for it but still!! FOR SHAME FIFA!!!!

Isnt that a secret achievement..so to know its 0 points would mean you have it you gamerscore whore you..shame on you :D

Its at the stage now where when im playing ranked matches if I go more than 2 or 3 ahead i expect them to quit, its nearly at the stage where instead of sending the quitters abuse i send the ones that stay a message to thank them for not leaving!!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,175 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Moon

Axwell wrote: »
    Isnt that a secret achievement..so to know its 0 points would mean you have it you gamerscore whore you..shame on you :D

Its at the stage now where when im playing ranked matches if I go more than 2 or 3 ahead i expect them to quit, its nearly at the stage where instead of sending the quitters abuse i send the ones that stay a message to thank them for not leaving!!

Nope I don't have it! And wont be getting it!!

Since this thread, I've always select 'Custom Match' and set criteria where opponent must have DNF ratio of 10% or less.... I've played maybe 20 matches or more since, not 1 person disconnected!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,085 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

I've played a few games against people and had my connection drop. Then I get abuse off them for quitting, even if I was winning when the game went down.

I've played a few games against people and had my connection drop. Then I get abuse off them for quitting, even if I was winning when the game went down.

Did you really expect anything different though?

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Purchiz

sounds like the xbox quitting is very bad.

It's not to bad on PS3

I reckon about 2 in every 10 quit on PS3

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭Legwinski

My connection used to go a lot.....and it messed up my dnf %

It's fine now though thank god...

I dont think its that bad when people quit because you still get your win. I get over it fairly quickly like

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Krusader

Purchiz wrote: »
    sounds like the xbox quitting is very bad.

It's not to bad on PS3

I reckon about 2 in every 10 quit on PS3

Yeah PS3 isn't that bad really for
    quitters, only if the game is lagging, people might quit

• Advertisement

Who cares once ya get the points?...:rolleyes:

You get the desired result, you've beat the opponent to the point of surrender and pick up the win, it's not the bloody WC finals :rolleyes:

I'm around 20-30 in Ireland on the PS3 so hand out a fair few beatings and close to 100% of people will quit if they go more then 3 goals behind, and that's great tbh, i don't like playing a game where i'm miles ahead, i'd rather they quit and let me find another game..... so let those without sin cast the first stone, there won't be many ;)

You get the desired result, you've beat the opponent to the point of surrender and pick up the win, it's not the bloody WC finals :rolleyes:

The point is you are supposed to play the game. If you want to quit, then why bother playing in the first place? Play offline, and quit against the CPU instead of wasting someones time.

If everyone threw their toys out of the pram, and quit when they were losing, there would be no online play at all, and nobody would ever finish a game.

And the faces really don't make your points any more valid, btw.

I'm around 20-30 in Ireland on the PS3 so hand out a fair few beatings and close to 100% of people will quit if they go more then 3 goals behind, and that's great tbh, i don't like playing a game where i'm miles ahead, i'd rather they quit and let me find another game..... so let those without sin cast the first stone, there won't be many ;)

Well if it didn't bother me, I wouldn't have posted the thread originally. I stand to be corrected, but if someone quits before a certain minute (e.g. half time) of the game, you aren't awarded the win?

The point is you are supposed to play the game. If you want to quit, then why bother playing in the first place? Play offline, and quit against the CPU instead of wasting someones time.

If everyone threw their toys out of the pram, and quit when they were losing, there would be no online play at all, and nobody would ever finish a game.

And the faces really don't make your points any more valid, btw.

But you see your not supposed to play the game, you sign no contract when you buy the game nor are you paid to do so. Why bother?... cause it's more fun to beat a person then the computer?! :confused:

Wasting someones time?.... they get the win and the enjoyment of stuffing ya, can't ask for more then that tbh.

News flash:..... basically no one does finish a game when they're losing(with no hope of winning)...and guess what?... people are still playing :eek:

I don't quit any more then the next person and only do it if the person's out of sight and annoying me by milking every celebration/replay.... and why do i do that?... cause i don't have to sit there and let some little knob annoy me, playing out doesn't even get ya any ''fair play'' points.

My problem is, just about everyone is this thread would have quit a game, from my experience the quit point is a 3 goal lead, the more you score the less chance they'll stick it out, seldom had anyone finish a game higher then 3/4-0

Maybe if people quitting a computer game they have no hope of winning effects you that much, YOU should play the computer in offline mode, it's a fact of life in online gaming, across any platform of game, we play for enjoyment not for ''honour and respect'' :rolleyes:

:pac::pac::pac:>>> just for you ;)

Well if it didn't bother me, I wouldn't have posted the thread originally. I stand to be corrected, but if someone quits before a certain minute (e.g. half time) of the game, you aren't awarded the win?

Nope you get the win once it pasts the 5min mark, most people don't know about that but if you quit before 5mins, regardless of the score it doesn't count, they should have sorted that a few years ago, i actually try avoid scoring until after the 5min mark, but it's pointless as the other person might not know about it, care to quit and then they could go one up when i could have maybe played it in instead of hitting a long shot.

They'll have to remove that, the 5mins is handy for potential LAG(so you can quit without the loss), but once the ball crosses the line or if a peno/red card is given(or going to be, the computer should know) it should cancel that safety net

Nope you get the win once it pasts the 5min mark, most people don't know about that but if you quit before 5mins, regardless of the score it doesn't count, they should have sorted that a few years ago, i actually try avoid scoring until after the 5min mark, but it's pointless as the other person might not know about it, care to quit and then they could go one up when i could have maybe played it in instead of hitting a long shot.

They'll have to remove that, the 5mins is handy for potential LAG(so you can quit without the loss), but once the ball crosses the line or if a peno/red card is given(or going to be, the computer should know) it should cancel that safety net

I didn't realise it was 5 minutes, good to know. Your quite confident in your own ability there Gilberto.

I didn't realise it was 5 minutes, good to know. Your quite confident in your own ability there Gilberto.

At least one of two accounts still well in the top 100 in Ireland(2nd could still be there) and i don't even have the game any more :p.... got sick of it, not a patch on 2009

News flash:..... basically no one does finish a game when they're losing(with no hope of winning)...and guess what?... people are still playing

I'll pretend to be 12 also :pac: "News flash": They are people who use the search filters so you have less chance of playing against quitters. Without this option I know many people, myself included, who would have given up playing FIFA online all together, hence, "people are still playing"
    we play for enjoyment not for ''honour and respect'' :rolleyes:

I play for enjoyment, and for me, enjoyment means playing the game, not looking at the "Connection lost with opponent screen".

Oh, and by the way, if you don't play for "honour" and "respect", why did you bring up your leaderboard rank??? ;)

I'll pretend to be 12 also :pac: "News flash": They are people who use the search filters so you have less chance of playing against quitters. Without this option I know many people, myself included, who would have given up playing FIFA online all together, hence, "people are still playing"

I play for enjoyment, and for me, enjoyment means playing the game, not looking at the "Connection lost with opponent screen".

Oh, and by the way, if you don't play for "honour" and "respect", why did you bring up your leaderboard rank??? ;)

It's very simple really :rolleyes:

Higher rank> More games won> Higher winning margins> better position then most to know what the quit rate is ;)

• Advertisement

It's very simple really :rolleyes:

Higher rank> More games won> Higher winning margins> better position then most to know what the quit rate is ;)

It is definitely, simple, but not necessarily in the sense that you meant.;) Lets just completely disregard the leaderboard exploits and assume you base it on some sort of credible foundation to begin with...

Someone who has played 100 games, won 85 will not be next or near a leaderboard, but yet may very well have "higher winning margins", higher win percentages, etc. Implication being, equally as "good a position to know the quit rate".

Essentially, your opinion does not matter more than everyone elses, as you imply.

I believe these are yours: :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

:)

Advertisement