Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Olympia camera policy

• 23-02-2010 11:23am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭

Just wondering if anyone else has any experience with this. Heading to see air tonight and will be in the pit and thinking I'll bring my camera and my 70-200L. I won't be snapping all night, just want to get a few good pictures then injoy the gig. I think I'm fine taking the camera in but I'm wondering if security in front of the barrier would take issue. I guess I'm looking for anyone who's had similar experiences there.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭rowanh

I was under the impression you are not able to bring a slr into a gig because it is "professional" gear.. That is 3rd hand information though just something i have heard a few times. I guess it would obviously depend on the venue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,404 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Says here http://www.mcd.ie/venues/?c=olympiatheatre no video or cameras allowed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭Sebzy

Hi Effects

been ages since I brought a camera into the olympia but the last time security was up in a huff about all cameras. You've left it a bit too late to ask the band or promoter for stage side access but you can still have a chat to olympia staff and ask if there is a no photography policy tonight.

http://www.ticketmaster.ie/Olympia-Theatre-tickets-Dublin/venue/198239
    General Rules:
    * No video or cameras allowed.

Still give them a shout.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

MCD have a No Camera policy, but seem to ignore the P&S's and Phones. They do jump on you if you have a DSLR.

I have not paid a cent to MCD since I was aware of the BS they dished out to this site, so have not been to anything recently. I was at the Point once & quietly taking a few shots from the back with a 300mm hand held. I was quite annoyed at all the flashes going off & ruining the gig. It was not the flash brigade they did anything about but made threats against me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,271 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

I was politely asked to keep my dslr (450d with nifty fifty) discretely inside my jacket 'when yer not usin' it ;)' by security at Bob Dylan in the point.

Once you get it in they're not going to kick you out for having it unless you make a fuss about it, just make sure you've got somewhere you can leave it safe if you've to stash it somewhere in case you're refused entry with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Yeah, was going to drive in just in case but would prefer to have a few drinks. Went to Massive Attack there last October and getting in with my camera would have been easy enough but not sure what would have happened if I took it out. **** it, I'll give it a shot, I'll be there early to get a pit pass and if I have to drop it home after that then I'll have plenty of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭eeyore2502

CabanSail wrote: »
    MCD have a No Camera policy, but seem to ignore the P&S's and Phones. They do jump on you if you have a DSLR./QUOTE]

We where at Kid Rock last year with apoint and shoot and I was taking few pictures no flash at all in the pit and the security threatened to throw us out if he seen up using it again and not quite that polite either!! but yet two people up from us was using her point and shoot and recorded most of the security. Also security on the upper level was actually taking pictures for some of the people at the concert!! so go figure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭Sebzy

Photography policy generally has a hierarchy at gigs

Artist => promoter => Venue security
    1. The artist has first say in it's contract and can override all
    2. The promoter can override venue
    3. Venue security just works with what their given in their brief.

So in the event the artist and promoter say nothing or are not clear it's at security's discretion. but as well all know some promoters just have policy's and like to enforce them.

I know this very well as have worked in all positions.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

you will more than likely get it taken off you/booted out. olympia and acaemy getting pretty heavy handed these days

I got to take lots of pictures. There were only two people there with photo passes and the 10 minute rule was enforced. After a good while the security guy closest to me told me to take the lens off (70-200) I said I'd put the camera away and he said it was ok to shoot but just not with the long lens. Only other lens I had was a fisheye. Thanked him after the gig and he said he has no problem with people taking photos but he was asked to ask me to not use my long lens.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

Effects wrote: »
    I got to take lots of pictures. There were only two people there with photo passes and the 10 minute rule was enforced. After a good while the security guy closest to me told me to take the lens off (70-200) I said I'd put the camera away and he said it was ok to shoot but just not with the long lens. Only other lens I had was a fisheye. Thanked him after the gig and he said he has no problem with people taking photos but he was asked to ask me to not use my long lens.

there isnt a 10minute rule ... its normally first 3 songs (no flash).

PCPhoto wrote: »
    there isnt a 10minute rule ... its normally first 3 songs (no flash).
    I've known it as 3 songs. Photographer there tonight said they were given the first ten minutes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

as someone previously posted .... the order of power.

artist, promoter...security.

4384677790_ab4e26410a.jpg

4383915027_54e453b2d7.jpg

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

very nice shots, excellent band

Advertisement