Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PAYG Sim Cards

• 23-02-2010 11:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭

I am away quite a bit and normally get home to a cold house very late on a Friday night. So I got a new gizmo that allows me to turn the heating on in the house by sending a text message to a device. Obviously, the device needs a sim card and I plan on putting in a Meteor PAYG sim into it.

I have never used a PAYG sim before and my question is, when I need to top-up the sim, do I need to put the sim into a phone or does it happen online if I purchase the top-up over the internet?

Also does the credit only last for a certain amount of time (does it expire after 30 days etc). Indeed, what is the best value for PAYG sims (meteor, vodafone, O2, 3)

How this thing works is that I send a text message to the device and it returns a text message to me saying that it has activated the heating.

Regards,

D

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,221 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Dummy wrote: »
    I am away quite a bit and normally get home to a cold house very late on a Friday night. So I got a new gizmo that allows me to turn the heating on in the house by sending a text message to a device. Obviously, the device needs a sim card and I plan on putting in a Meteor PAYG sim into it.

I have never used a PAYG sim before and my question is, when I need to top-up the sim, do I need to put the sim into a phone or does it happen online if I purchase the top-up over the internet?

Also does the credit only last for a certain amount of time (does it expire after 30 days etc). Indeed, what is the best value for PAYG sims (meteor, vodafone, O2, 3)

How this thing works is that I send a text message to the device and it returns a text message to me saying that it has activated the heating.

Regards,

D

Read the Vodafone article on the front page of this forum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Dummy

Thank you Captain. That is exactly what I was looking for.

I had searched the Meteor website looking for this info but obviously not hard enough.

Thank you again.

D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭dohouch

Dummy wrote: »
    I So I got a new gizmo that allows me to turn the heating on in the house by sending a text message to a device.

Regards,

D

Any chance of the name or a Link for this gizmo,

thanks

We're not suffering, only complaining 😞

• Advertisement

Here is the website - http://www.seitron.it/en/products/details.php?itemid=355&sectionid=51&pag=1&string_src=itp&pathtype=search

The one that I have is the ITPR011 which I cannot find on the website.

I will be installing mine over the Easter Holidays & if you want I'll let you know how I got on and how well it works.

BTW - after I had bought this, my electrician friend said that this could also be achieved through some alarm systems. Might be worth a chat with a sparky for more info.

D

This might be a better link - http://www.syxthsense.co.uk/ecommerce2/query_displayproduct.php?productID=1394

This is the one that I have. and you can have a look at the datasheet.

D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭estreetb

do the other networks offer free sims to new customers or do you have to have an existing number with them

Advertisement